Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

by any chance are there frags of that awsome closed orange and blue brain??
Old 12/06/2007, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

agreed..in fact, I'd be interested in a bunch of those corals..great tank
Old 12/07/2007, 12:45 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Even more pics, the tank looks better and better the more I see of it. I'm glad to see someone appriciating (well, I'm assuming that you're appriciating it since you're not complaining about it) a life-reef setup. I ran a Lifereef VS2-24 skimmer for a while, and man, even with the water level rising and lowering, that thing kept consistent. I was very happy with it, but it's just a different experience than the other types of skimmers out there (needlewheel, beckett, downdraft). Just a solid-as-a-rock skimmer. I bet the calcium reactor is too...

Very very nice tank, and yeah, I too love that closed orange/blue brain, or maze coral.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:50 AM
TANK RAIDER!

JFK care to discuss your husbandry and reactor effluent as well as other speficifs.

Your reactor must be hardly working? Not much calcium loving critters that i noticed.

thx in advance for sharing your experiences.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

I run my calcium reactor using Knop Koralith... prior to that I used A.R.M... but I found I've had better results with Knop. I also have 10% Zeomag in my reactor. My effluent's PH is around 6.5 coming out of my reactor. I also have an auto top off kalkwasser reactor combo hooked directly to my R/O unit.

My tank maintains it's PH in the range of 7.9 to 8.2. My calcium is on an average at about 380.

Here's an example of growth rates for stony corals in my tank. Here's a little over a years worth of growth on my orange monti.

This frag was 4" when I bought it.

Old 12/07/2007, 10:25 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Whew that monti cap looks like it's tearn' a$$ around your tank after just a year. Sweet growth. Geeze. But having more or less it's own calcium reactor and kalkwasser topoffs certainly can't hurt..

Did you get the zeomag locally? I need to find some, as I don't think that the rowa C++ media has any dolomite/mag supplement in it.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Here's a Acro Sp. that has been grown from a 1 inch frag in the same time period.

None of the calcium reactor medias have enough magnesium
available for larger systems. I don't know of anyone that sells it locally. I order it direct. The small size container will be enough to give you up to 10% volume for most reactors.

Zeomag

http://www.zeovitusa.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=ZEOmag
Old 12/07/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Here's another picture of the acro sp growth.

Oh... and BTW... I can't say anything but good about Jeff Turcheck and Lifereef. The proof is in my tank. The service and time he spends with you to get your system right is also valuable to me. How many other products out there, can you get on the phone and discuss your ideas, issues, and concerns with the actual CEO of the company? Probably none.

Another thing is the venturi skimmer. It works... plain and simple. The biggest advantage is that (and I'm sure this has happened to a few of you out there) It can never flood! Living in a high rise condo on the beach, I can appreciate that feature! On more than one occasion I've had my Lifereef skimmer save me from getting my a$$ sued for flooding my neighbors below.

Old 12/07/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I went back and found the original pics of the acro frag

Old 12/07/2007, 11:30 AM
TANK RAIDER!

thx
As far as customer care is good to know.
Yes there's plenty of great guys in the equipment world that are very accesible, like GEO, Spazz etc.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:37 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Yea Jeff has always had good customer service as far as I've heard, and the venturi is great that it can't overflow. Most skimmers can and do from time to time. The Lifereef just kinda fills the cup with water and then falls back down or something along those lines. It overflowed but stayed contained within itself when I had the VS2-24. Awesome growth of that acro.

No problems having the yellow goby perching on it?

I'm definitely going to hit up some zeomag and/or dolomite sometime soon. Sure beats having to dump in 2 gallons of Kent tech-M...
Old 12/07/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWreak

No problems having the yellow goby perching on it?

I'm definitely going to hit up some zeomag and/or dolomite sometime soon. Sure beats having to dump in 2 gallons of Kent tech-M...
The goby definitely keeps the acro from fully extending it's polyps like in the prior pictures... and this acro has some serious polyp extension. Other than that, it still is growing ok.

Zeomag is great stuff... I started using it after it was reccomended to me by Boomer.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Check out the growth on this green monti frag. I got it from Dave at CRF... it's from his personal display tank.

This is three weeks growth! Notice the sharp cut edges are gone. Not too shabby...

This is a frag I took from my mother colony at the same time as the frag above.

Monti's love my tank...
Old 12/07/2007, 07:58 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Very nice. I've got a nice purple with purple rim with bright yellow polyps if you want to bring some other color to your monti palette.

It's also funny that you've got brown/red and green monti in the same tank. I guess it's just my weird experience, but I've got a huge monti colony in one tank, but when I moved frags from that tank to my 120, they turned neon green like yours. that's cool though. I like your red/brown more than my just brown.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWreak
Very nice. I've got a nice purple with purple rim with bright yellow polyps if you want to bring some other color to your monti palette.

It's also funny that you've got brown/red and green monti in the same tank. I guess it's just my weird experience, but I've got a huge monti colony in one tank, but when I moved frags from that tank to my 120, they turned neon green like yours. that's cool though. I like your red/brown more than my just brown.
I'd be glad to trade you my orange frag for a frag of your purple. Let me know...
Old 12/07/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on having an awesome tank.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:09 AM
tiger eel

wow to much for my eye ur tank should be tank of the M...
Old 12/08/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Thank you... 45commando and cubano2480...

I moved my orange ricordea to a new spot, and they seem to like it!

Old 12/08/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Picked up this Turbinaria from CRF today... nice touch of yellow to my tank.

New FTS

Old 12/08/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Great photos. I wish I could take such good pictures. I cant seem to get my fish to stand still like you do. Nice tank. Congrats!
Old 12/08/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Modena
Great photos. I wish I could take such good pictures. I cant seem to get my fish to stand still like you do. Nice tank. Congrats!
Thanks... it just takes practice and a lot of tries to get a good fish shot. Sometimes you have to move with the fish like in this shot.

Old 12/16/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I did a little window shopping today like I usually do on Sundays with nothing in mind to buy, and I came across this gorgeous blueberry gorgonian at CRF. I fiugured my tank has matured nicely and that I'd give it a shot. I have it in a perfect spot around the side of my tank where currents and lighting are just right. Hopefully it will do well for me...

Jeff from CRF said if it didn't absolutely thrive in my tank for many years to come, he'd let me take my pick of any coral in his personal tank!

Just kidding... I'll see you on Tuesday Jeff, when your'e killer shippment comes in... save me something nice...

Old 12/16/2007, 06:49 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

lol. Nothing personal, but Jeff is gonna owe you one heck of a coral...

Yea, I tried the blueberry gorgonian, mostly to save it from someone else's tank in hopes that my much more matured and much dirtier tank could give it the plankton that it needed. I even tried feeding cyclopeeze every other night. It lasted about a month or two.

I do wish you luck though, and if you feed enough, it may just hang in there
Old 12/16/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I just want to compliment you on a very nice system. Very impressive mixed reef.
Thanks for sharing,

Rafael