Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Need To See 65 Gallon Tall Sump Setups! PICS PLEASE!

Hello,

I am getting sick of my poorly designed sump and would like to put a larger, more organized sump set up in place of my existing set up. Looking to get ideas. Number one thing to keep in mind is that whatever the size of the tank (sump), it will have to be able to fit under the stand through the 2 doors on the standard AGA pine stand! Thanks in advance!

Paul
Old 12/15/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/15/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Here are a few pics of my 65 set up. Not sure if you have the same stand as mine, but it wasn't too difficult to widen the door opening to accommodate a larger sump. The piece of wood on each side of the door is not structurally necessary as it doesn't reach to either the top or bottom of the stand to support the weight of the tank. I was able to pop the planks out using a rubber mallet and then attached them as additional sections of the doors. Now they open all the way and it allowed me to get the 30" sump you see in the pics. Plus, I was able to do all of this without any impact to the tank.

FYI, I'm selling this setup as I'm upgrading to a 220, so the sump would be available if interested. PhosBan reactor and skimmer included.

Gary
Old 12/16/2007, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the idea... that way I could put in any sump size that I wanted. BTW, what are the exact inner dimensions length and width of your stand? I however would most likely put that center brace back in... I just dont feel comfortable taking it out permanently. Anyone else have any other setups for sump design under a 65 gallon?
Old 12/16/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

This one's a Perfecto stand and it didn't have a center brace, just reinforced corner braces. Inside dimensions of the stand are
35"x17". Plus you can always reinforce the stand with a center brace once you get your sump in. Just my $0.02
Old 12/16/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for your help... anyone else have any unique setups?
Old 12/16/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Its not very unique, but here is mine. Its a converted 20 long.

Old 12/16/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

tgbaby1-vey clean setup. I like your aqauscaping too. Did you eopxy you live rock or is it just stacked? I'm setting up a 58 and seeing how well the 20 long fits makes me want to go with a sump that wide. I'm starting to feel like this may work since I have closet behind the tank where I may set up the power supply/controls, etc.
Old 12/17/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Very Nice Setup You Have There! Anyone else with some good designs? I am contemplating puting in a 37 gallon (30x18x22) sump to maximize my water volume.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

bump