Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Bm250 ?

I've had my BM250 for about 9 months and lately I've had restart problems. The power went out for about 1 second and both pumps wouldn't restart. I took the whole skimmer out and ran it in vinegar for 24 hrs as it need a good cleaning. When I set it back up, my bubble output is much lower and every time I unplug the pumps I have to smack um around to get them to go.

Any ideas and are there any other pump options that people have tryed rather than the Sicce's?
Old 12/15/2007, 07:39 PM
Generic Member

Take a good look at the meshwheel impellers. Make sure the mesh is securely held down the the tie wraps and that there aren't loose pieces.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

yes, maybe trim the loose hairs a bit.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Bono, I have experienced the same problem since owning the skimmer for the past year. One pump seems to fire up and the other rattles and hums upon any re-start. I have not solved the issue other than gently pressing vertically on the pump and sometimes even blowing into the air line. Even after a full maintenance and breakdown vinegar cleaning the pump continues to display this behaviour. I will look into the mesh pad as recommended above but if you figure a solution out, let us know.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

I had a restart issue with my BM 200, and it was due to the fact of the outside diameter of the meshwheel was to large. Measure the meshwheel of the one that restarts and you will probably see that it is smaller than the pump that does not restart.

hope that works
Old 12/16/2007, 02:20 AM
King of the white corals

most likely the mesh needs replaced anyway if you have had it a year and havent yet.

I had to redo the mesh on one of my pumps a month after I got it ........the other one needed done the other day so I did them both.......
Old 12/16/2007, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

I trimmed the mesh a little which I've done just about every time but it never really seems to help and I'm afraid to trim to much.

Like rpeeples mentioned, sometimes they rattle and hum while other times there totally quiet. I'm leaving for a Christmas cruise and I'm concern they won't restart if we have a power outage.

Where do you get replacement mesh as I think this will be my next step.

I've also thought about trying a different pump. Any ideas or options?

Thanks everyone.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:52 AM
Generic Member

How deep in the sump is the skimmer? How much larger than the disc is the mesh diameter? Make sure the airlines are not pinched or kinked going through the silencer.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

I've got the same issue with my pumps. Rattles and makes lots of noise, but doesn't seem to want to start unless I lift it out of the water. I've tried cleaning it and trimming back the mesh to no avail. I'm considering replacing the mesh, but realized that it doesn't use the enkamet PF4 material. Any idea which mesh material it is?
Old 12/17/2007, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

I just ordered the mesh mod kit from protein-skimmer.com. It comes with new mesh and some kind of add on venturi thing. I'm obviously not really sure what it does but I figured I'd give it a try. The kit was only $12 each but incredibly the shipping for the both was $15. I'll let you know what happens when I figure it out.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Hmm, I have had this happen to me 2 times now. Both times when the power goes out. If I just unplug it (to clean the skimmer once a week)the pump will start back up,but if the power goes out in a storm,even just a second, I have had to take it out of the water and swish it in the sump before it will start again.

My mesh looks fine. I cleaned the pump last week. Everything seemed ok.

Bono

Let us know how the mesh mod looks and works compared to the original stuff. Let us know if it was worth all the shipping.

Kristin
Old 12/17/2007, 01:18 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by chi
but doesn't seem to want to start unless I lift it out of the water.
simply blow into the silencer ........not a perfect fix by any means, but it will get the pumps started and beats the heckout of having to lift them out of the water