Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

LOOK OUT FOR THE TANG POLICE
Old 12/15/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

I have seen lots of references to the Tang Police and I know it is a running joke, but I don't get it just the same.....

I have a few too many Tangs according to the Tang police but my tank is peaceful and well behaved.

Just wondering

(I still recommend the Powder Brown in a 90ga with an existing Sailfin)
Old 12/15/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

the powder brown is a great addition to my tank. the sailfin has been with me since when i started and at first was rather aggressive to the PBT when first introduced. now they swim together and don't fight over territory or food. the sailfin will grow faster than the PBT and will not be able to live its entire life in a 90 gal.
im my opinion i would go with one tang that appeals to you and get small free swimming fish to add activity.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

ok i thought of this i can either go with the Powder brown or an achillis what do u guys think
Old 12/15/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

and the sailfin isnt in yet
Old 12/15/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

also i know it might not be the smartest thing to do but i do also have the purple in mind
Old 12/15/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

How many tang threads are you going to make? The answer is never going to change. The purple would be your best bet or a yellow or kole but only 1. As for the rest of the tangs just wait until you can get a setup where you can have the fish you want most.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

I really agree with Yoboyjdizz. You'll keep getting the same answers no matter how many threads you make. If you really want those fish, look into setting up at least a 125g (this won't work for the sailfin longterm, but for everything else you want it's fine).
Old 12/15/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

If you really want all those tangs in your 90gal, I would recommend you to get the juveniles (~3") and introduce them at about the same time. That should allow you to enjoy them longer before they out grow your tank at least.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

ok so iam going to go with the sailfin and either the powder brown or purple
Old 12/15/2007, 09:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

A Sailfin will get up to 12" easily, if you give it the room... too much for a 90g unless you buy it with the intent of upgrading down the road.

The purple would be a good addition actually. Purples have a 'reputation' that is a bit unfounded. Just add them last and they should be just fine. Even yellow tang's will go nutso on a purple if they are in the tank first. I added a purple to my 125 after I already have a yellow, they are fine together.

The orange shoulder is nastier if anything. Technically, a Tomini is not a nice tang either.

Chevrons get large.

My suggestions for a 90g would be:
Yellow Tang
Red Sea Purple
Kole Tang
Scopas Tang
Acanthurus japonicus (Gold Rim/Powder Brown, although this is slightly pushing it), or Acanthurus nigricans (White Cheek).
The Acanthurus pyroferus or Acanthurus tristis (the Mimic Tangs).

Otherwise, the minimum tank volume for most tangs is more like a 125g (or 9 square feet of area). Then the options for tangs get alot more interesting.

OR, as an alternative to tangs all together... foxface. There are a few species that would work for you... just check and make sure it would be compatible with your corals since they sometimes do pick at things.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

everyone on here has told you that the sailfin will get to big yet it is still the mainstay for the fish you have in mind i don't get it why not go with something else or stop asking for advice if you are going to do what everyone already told you wasn't the best idea.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

i understand that the sailfin will get to big i already have him in my current 50 i just bought him for my 90
Old 12/16/2007, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

so sell him back or give him to a local hobbyist and get something that will be happy in your tank there are so many good choices why get something that will get to big for your tank. and later on when it gets to big you will have had it for a while and won't want to get rid of it so why not just do it now and get something you can enjoy for a while.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
A Sailfin will get up to 12" easily, if you give it the room... too much for a 90g unless you buy it with the intent of upgrading down the road.

The purple would be a good addition actually. Purples have a 'reputation' that is a bit unfounded. Just add them last and they should be just fine. Even yellow tang's will go nutso on a purple if they are in the tank first. I added a purple to my 125 after I already have a yellow, they are fine together.

The orange shoulder is nastier if anything. Technically, a Tomini is not a nice tang either.

Chevrons get large.

My suggestions for a 90g would be:
Yellow Tang
Red Sea Purple
Kole Tang
Scopas Tang
Acanthurus japonicus (Gold Rim/Powder Brown, although this is slightly pushing it), or Acanthurus nigricans (White Cheek).
The Acanthurus pyroferus or Acanthurus tristis (the Mimic Tangs).

Otherwise, the minimum tank volume for most tangs is more like a 125g (or 9 square feet of area). Then the options for tangs get alot more interesting.

OR, as an alternative to tangs all together... foxface. There are a few species that would work for you... just check and make sure it would be compatible with your corals since they sometimes do pick at things.
Why do you feel that way about a Tomini?
Old 12/16/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

I love my powdered Brown but he is a terrorist. Anything I add to the tank he harrasses for some unknown reason. He and my tenneti get along great but anything else he harrasses non stop
Old 12/16/2007, 01:54 PM
Evan in colorado

probably purple
Old 12/16/2007, 04:31 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by killagoby
Why do you feel that way about a Tomini?
They can get nasty... I'd say nastier than a Red Sea Purple. They need robust tank mates, and so they arent as easy as people often make them out to be.

One I forgot to mention would be one of the 'mutant' scopas.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Take the sailfin back - it's going to get way too large and be very unhappy in a short amount of time.

I have a yellow tang in my 90g and honestly wouldn't even have her if she hadn't been an emergency rescue (her owner was going to euthanize her because she had ich - all she needed was some TLC and by the time 6 weeks in the QT was up I was very attached!)

The only tangs I'd suggest for a 90g are a yellow, a kole, or possibly a purple though I think they get considerably larger than yellows.

The orange-shoulder, powder brown, achilles etc. that you mentioned are all no-nos in my book.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I agree with hahnmeister's list.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

ok thnks
Old 12/16/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Ya i bought a sailfin a year ago for my 90g. he was 3 or 4 inches when i got him.. hes about 5 now. He has been as happy as can be and healthy the whole time.. I wil probably get rid of him though soon as I feel bad for the fish. I love him soo much though!

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 12/16/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

man i am jonesin to get a hippo tang, but not until i upgrade to a bigger tank
Old 12/16/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

blue hippos are great fish love them i use to have one in my 50
Old 12/17/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

how about a Chocolate mimic tang with the sailfin