Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 07:35 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

good to know flyguy, you'll love him... very good active hunter.. he actually goes between polyps at times when their closed to inspect the closed plolyps and the stems...

" Charles V "
Old 12/10/2007, 07:55 PM
King of the white corals

What do you all think of adding a sixline as well??

I only ask becasue there is one local of decent size Im thinking of picking up and throwing in the same 225 gallon tank.

think they will get along?? Or at least think the yellow coris wont get killed??

I think it will be ok....just looking for confirmation.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:01 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

A BIG NO... 6lines, 4lines, 8lines and 12lines are all really bad.. at first they CAN behave but given time will bully almost anything in your tank and kill most wrasses. believe me from experience.

" Charles V "
Old 12/11/2007, 12:05 AM
King of the white corals

I had a sixline for years.......he was awesome.

I never had him in with any other wrasses though and he had lots of space.

im going to pick the fish up anyway. but hes going in a different tank with a trigger, a scribbled rabbit and a tomini.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:09 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Mine was in a 100gal. only 1.8" and killed mulitiple fish twice his size, a bunch of leopards, carpenters, flasher, and other various wrasses...good luck

" Charles V "
Old 12/11/2007, 12:27 AM
King of the white corals

thanks for the input. You totally confirmed for me that I dont want to even think about putting him in my mixed tank with the yellow coris that is doing his job at the moment.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

my palys are pretty much gone now, just a a couple that wants to open, I've fragged them in hopes they will survive. I was able to do a fresh water dip and got some of these guys that I believe are responsible for my palys demise. poor photo but here's what they look like. if i stretch them out, they are 1/4 inches!

Old 12/13/2007, 09:37 PM
King of the white corals

Old 12/13/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Hsssssss! That's what mine look like too.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

thats it!, my yellow coris with MIA after the first night and now I'm searching for a replacement.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:58 PM
King of the white corals

I want someone with the skills and means to prove that this is a different critter than the ones that look EXACTLY the same.

I think it was already stated in this thread or soemwhere I read recently, but its gotta be a different type. How else could you explain seeing these things for years with no ill effects, then all of a suddent they go rogue on us?? I dont think thats very likely.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:46 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Fly guy for some reason that other dirty looking one looks like a zoa spider, def a zoa assasin..

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?modul...&g2_itemId=396

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?modul...&g2_itemId=384

" Charles V "
Old 12/14/2007, 02:31 PM
King of the white corals

lol. it surely is.

Ive been going out of my way to collect stuff lately and taking macro pics of them

check it out

Old 12/14/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I had some yellow zoas with the long skirts that were slowing disapearing. They would one by one close up, then wither away and die. This happened for a week and I went from 12 to 9 of them, so I started watching at night, and sure enough 2 coepods (thought were nudi's at the time, Im a noob) were coming out, and attacking the zoas. These werent tiny coepods, but where just a little bigger than a brine shrimp. I gave the rock with the zoa's a pods on it a quick freshwater dip, watched the pods fall off and die, and now I back up to 13 of the yellows.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:08 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

flyyyyguy, those are ALL serious zoa assasins... you really need to start watching that tank more for spawns of those monsters... you have wrasses right... yellow coris would make mince meat of them as he sees them..

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 04:08 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

flyyyyguy, those are ALL serious zoa assasins... you really need to start watching that tank more for spawns of those monsters... you have wrasses right... yellow coris would make mince meat of them as he sees them..

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 04:12 PM
King of the white corals

LOL

im very aware of what they are. ive been going out of my way searching and collecting them so I can photograph them as well as experiment with them in my qt tank.

im still looking for a eunicid and a polyclad if anyone comes across either, or anything else cool and hated for that matter.......
Old 12/15/2007, 04:15 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

polyclad? like a nemertean worm?
Old 12/15/2007, 04:20 PM
King of the white corals

no...like this.

they prey on snails or clams. i found a couple a couple years ago that were macking on my snails. this is a 4.5" flatworm that was seriously the coolest moving creature Ive ever seen. I want to get the good camera on one.......

Old 12/15/2007, 04:43 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I had 1 of those guys before in my tank... roughly 2 ".... killed a bunch of large snails... caught him 1 night hunting

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 04:57 PM
King of the white corals

did you by chance play with him in the water
??

i might be a little nuts.......but I could watch how that thing moved when you swirled the water for hours. not to mention how it moved in the tank. it moved like smoke.

kind of like how the creature moved in basic instinct.

no, im not talking about the creature in the scene with sharon stone......
Old 12/15/2007, 05:26 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

lol... it glided on the sand like it was floating on it.. really weird looking...

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

I found an all black one similar looking. could that be why I had a bunch of empty turbo snail shells?
Old 12/16/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

6 line all the way .. those things get the job done .. i had a pod infestation .. and i mean.. 2-3 days all decimated by my 6 line
.. there maybe be less then 10 in my tank rite now
Old 12/17/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I bought another yellow coris yesterday, this one slightly bigger. it swam around for a little while then burried itself just like the first one. I hope he shows himself today or else I'm going with a sixline unless it will bother my mandarin dragonet. My pods have moved to another colony