Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Green Chromis just died??

i purchased 6 chromis about a week ago and today i came home from work and 3 were dead? ust like that, the other 3 are doing just fine. what would cause this to happen. my other fish are all small i have 2 cardnals 2 clown fish 1 hippo tang and a hatian anemoie. oh a small niger trigger.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

were your water parameters fine?
Old 12/14/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

They have a tenancy to pick themselves off. I had 8 of them and they picked themselves off one by one.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

lol yes all my levels are good.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Some get chromis to pack up and i bet it looks cool. But most get left with one as they pick each other off untill the strongest survives.
Besides why have chromis in a 200 gallon aggresive tank anyway.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:30 PM
old enough to know better

A shoal of chromis a tough chore .... the dominant chromis is going to pick on the weakest and eventually you end up with one or two.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

I purchased 5 of them and one died within 2 days. About 6 months went by and 1 more died.

My water parameters are fine. I just think it was stress. The last one died the day after I scraped my coralline from the glass.

It just happens.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I've never had good luck with them either. My first encounter involved a purchase of 5 chromis. The first death occurred after a few weeks, and within 3 months all were dead. The second enounter involved a purchase of 9 chromis with the same result - all dead within 3 months. I have no idea why this happened, but I've read plenty of stories from others here who report the same thing. Never noticed any of them being picked on by other fish, but one would always begin to separate from the rest and at that point I could guarantee he or she would not make it.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

the tank used to be agresive not any more he needs to updte his info
Old 12/15/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

I've had the same problems everyone else reported. On two occasion's I've bought 5 or so, just to have them all kill eachother and only 1 survive. I've got one left that I've had for a little over a year now.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:17 PM
Gold Digger

At least most of yall have them live to 3 months, for some reason I can't keep them 3 days. Started by buying 3 at a store I normally don't goto, but they practically gave them away...I see why, 2 didn't even make it home, the 3rd hid in a rock and never saw it again. Tried another two from my fav store and came home the next day and both were stuck to each of the tunze streams...oh well
Old 12/15/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I had five blue/green.... 2 stayed small and were sometime picked on.... they were great for 6 months..... one day I discovered a small one badly beaten.... I removed it....... another died instantly..... within one hour all were dead...... great mystery to this day..... all my params were excellent..... all other fish were unaffected.... they all died like if it were a collective suicide!
Old 12/15/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I had five blue/green.... 2 stayed small and were sometime picked on.... they were great for 6 months..... one day I discovered a small one badly beaten.... I removed it....... another died instantly..... within one hour all were dead...... great mystery to this day..... all my params were excellent..... all other fish were unaffected.... they all died like if it were a collective suicide!