Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Filter socks and evap water

Ok first off. What is the safest way to clean filter socks? I keep hearing controversy over between bleach and the washer. So which one? If I use the bleach method how much bleach for how much water? If I use the washer, what do I add or don't add?

Then on the evap water. Which is proffered among these three choices since I can't hook up an ro system yet.

LFS bought fresh water?
Arrowhead or other distilled water?
Or sink water mixed with Nov Aqua conditioner or other such products?

Now that I am going through about 1 gallon of evap per day I need to know these answers. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

I used to just rinse them under fresh water and squish them in my hands until clean.

I would use RO water.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

When I did use them I would put them in the washer with just bleach. Then let them air dry.

For the water I would get a RO/DI but if it isnt a choice and you truely trust your LFS get it from there.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

You can wash the sock in the machine with bleach. About 1/2 cup should work fine. I wash about 10+ socks at a time and use a full cup with large load selected. Make sure they rinse well, second rinse is a good idea. Let them dry completely before you reuse them.

You really need to invest in an ro or ro/di system for your water needs. I would go with the lfs second.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Ro from the LFS huh. Until I can do an RO it's around $5.00 for 10 gallons of freshwater.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

It's just hard to fit a complete RO system in your one bedroom condo with nothing but the kitchen water and the bathroom water. I'm trying to figure it out.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Im sure you have a grocery store that a RO water station. For what you will spend per gallon at a fish store, you can get a better deal most of time at the store. I pay .30 a gallon for RO water. The LFS here sell just fresh water per gallon for $1.00 and $1.50 for salt.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoobaman17
It's just hard to fit a complete RO system in your one bedroom condo with nothing but the kitchen water and the bathroom water. I'm trying to figure it out.
It's really not hard. The whole system (minus water storage container) should fit under the sink easily, that's where mine is. Any of the reputable suppliers will be more than happy to help you with it if you give them a holler.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

It's the water storage that I'm getting at
Old 12/14/2007, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Ok, thats fair. You are going through one gallon a day of evap, that's not much to worry about there. I use a three gallon storage container like is used for drinking water for the auto-top off on my sump. It also fits under the cabinet. When I want to do a water change I have a 30 gallon trash can with a float valve in it that I just connect to the ro/di with via a t-valve and off it goes. I don't have to watch it as it shuts off automatically. Works great for me.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoobaman17
It's the water storage that I'm getting at

i use these exact doohickeys and it makes storing h20 so much easier. i keep 4 bottles of ro/di on hand at all times in the pantry closet in the kitchen. takes up very little footprint space. i used to sell these all the time to people in small apartments and they work great. talk to the guy that delivers water in your area. (dont talk to alhambra. they have funky water) he can hook you up with distilled, delivered too. i think i was selling it for 7.00$ for 5g. on my route. not a bad price considering it was delivered to your doorstep.

http://tmadeproducts.com/catalogs/2007bbcatalog.pdf
Old 12/14/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

as far as the filter socks go, what has worked for me with no problems, is to turn the socks inside out, fill the washing machine on the ex large cold setting, add about a cup of bleach, stop the washer, add the socks and let them soak over night. The next day I turn the washer on the regular wash cycle and run two rinse cycles, turn right side out and air dry for a day before use. HTH