Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

alright thanks Rosseau for that piece of advice i was thinking over of how small my tank was and was rethinking of getting a much larger one and maybe later on try an anemone...
Old 12/14/2007, 06:34 PM
Lazy reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by timjoemak
well i thought that the atlantic anemone doesnt host any fish?
They do not naturally but sometime they do accept fish, and some clownfish use them as host.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

yeah well maybe i could try an atlantic though... i just found out that the LTA is a hard piece of invert to take care of... sigh.. thanks orion!
Old 12/16/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

hey i was just going to ask is a ocellaris and clarkii capable of staying together?
Old 12/16/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Mixing clowns is not a good idea. They will sometimes tolerate each other when they are young but they become more territorial with age and sooner or later the likelihood is one will kill the other. Some people have been successful mixing them in large tanks... but by large I mean LARGE... 300g+! (Mmmm one day...)

By the way, don't feel like you need to get your clowns an anemone to see hosting behaviour. They have been known to accept a wide selection of easy care corals; mushrooms, zoos, GSP etc. Then down the line when you have honed your husbandry skills and have a bigger setup/lights you can move onto something like a BTA... also not a natural host but considered one of the easier nems to keep. All in good time though, maybe try for a shrimp/goby pair if you're interested in symbiotic relationships. When you do get a nem down the road make sure you do your research... http://www.karensroseanemones.com/ is a great place to start for BTAs

Good luck!
Old 12/17/2007, 03:37 AM
Registered Member

thanks aaarrggg
Old 12/17/2007, 07:56 AM
Lazy reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by timjoemak
hey i was just going to ask is a ocellaris and clarkii capable of staying together?
Clarkii get too big for a nano tank. In general, you should not try to mix species of clowns. There are people who get hybrid clowns but most of the time, they just end up killing each other in a small tank.
Smallest species of clowns are Ocellaris, Percula and Pink Skunk.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

oh i see so a pink skunk is naughty too huh???