Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Attention electricians

In my down stairs all the outlets are on one line.
behind my tank is the usual 2 outlet fixture and is south of a gri fixture so i assume that same would be covered by the gfi.
-
Heres my ?
i have a surge strip plugged into one of the outlets behind the tank and the surge strip is full.
-
i need to set up a 7 gallon eclipse for a while and the best spot is under my 125, but im hesitant because that would mean 3 more lines into another surge strip into the second outlet....but i believe that is the same as if i plugged the lines for the 7 gallon in a different outlet in the downstairs correct ????
Old 12/12/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

How much juice are we talking between the two setups??
Old 12/12/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Mike, I've got a killowatt meter if you want to borrow it. That would let you know the exact load you're pulling from the wall outlet. I've had 2 tanks on one 15 amp circuit before with no problem until the wifey used the hairdrier(same circuit). Similar tanks sizes 120 and 10 nano. Probably similar to yours(except they're salt ). The heaters this time of year are the biggest draw when they're all on at the same time.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

I'm using a killawatt just for fun frankly. The house is set up as either 15A or 20A circuit. My house is 4 years old and the builder did everything on the cheap. So my circuits all use 14 gauge wire, and that has a safe supply of 15 amps. That is actually quite a bit of current.

I have a 29G tank with 10G sump, and plugged in to **4** 6-outlet strips (those timers take up ALOT of space) I have:

Rio 1700 return pump
100 watt heater
Koralia 1
MJ1200
Rio800 driving a Sealife Systems skimmer
MJ400 for makeup water on a ATO system
timer for 55W PC
timer for 55W PC #2
timer for 175W MH (icecap electronic ballast)
timer for fuge reverse dayilight 75W PC bulb
high power cooling fan for when the MH is on

I draw well less than 5 amps when the heater is on. That means I can *safely* have two more setups like this on that circuit. Of course, I have a 10G tank holding some extra live rock, a 10G QT with two clowns, and 2 computers (laptop and desktop) in that room as well (it's my office). I don't let the wife run the hair dryer in here, but I'm not concerned about power.

15 amps at 120 volts is 1800 watts. Not much when discussing the hair dryer, but alot when discussing anything else. :-) If you're wiring is 12 gauge and the outlets are 20A rated, and the circuit breaker is 20A, then you have another 600watts at your disposal. But the easiest thing to do is hook up a meter and see what is cooking. You could also use a meter that clamps around the main power feeds to determine how much each one is drawing if you don't want to have to unplug everything to plug in the killawatt.

I don't have one of those myself, but have found it would be handy at times. I'm not a certified electrician, but have an electronics degree, and have been shocked too many times to care. Although, I did NOT sleep at a motel 6 last night, so you be the judge. :-)
Old 12/13/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

Michael I have a meter you can use also. It is still in the package, never opened. I was going to use it to see what my tank was pulling but I am sure my wife would want to know as well.

Let me know..
Old 12/13/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys, i will f/u w/chuck on the meter
Old 12/13/2007, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmd
thanks guys, i will f/u w/chuck on the meter
You're going to what now?
Old 12/14/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member