Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 10:07 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
It is called culling. Every batch has some fish that should never enter the market. Some folks cull better then others.

Gets difficult to cull, when you are striving for misbars, unusual shapes, etc. There is a market for such specimens, I am just not sure how large that market is and can't speak to it since I am not in that market; buyer or seller.
Rod has stated on this forum he does not cull....
Old 12/13/2007, 10:11 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Rod has stated on this forum he does not cull....
Okay.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:11 PM
clownfish fan

Jov its not that they are stubby they really do have a better shape they are no shorter than any other percula.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:12 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
Okay.
I should specify not cull very often i am sure he has pulled a dying fish out of his tank, but he can give water quality and other husbandry more time than a large operation so he has better results.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:18 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

from having 4-5 different wild clowns to try to pair with rods, its very apparent they are stubby when looking at one swimming next to a wild caught clown. & crap I'm still contributing to pulling this thread off track. If anyone wants to discuss body shapes, or small vs. large breeding facilities please feel free to pm or open a new thread

I'm sorry to the original poster, I think I'm the reason this thread got so side tracked.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

No offense to me, I actually like reading the debate, as long as it doesn't come to petty name calling. So whoever mentions my stubby body in someone's large breeding facility again is gonna get it! jk. It'd be interesting to get the facts though since nobody knows for sure but the people that work at ORA. I do feel kind of bad for ORA's "stubby" clowns. I wonder if they're some of the offspring of these inbreeding practices as well and since there's "some" demand for them, ORA's going to sell them. It's pretty obvious these aren't your typical stuff.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:50 PM
RC Mod

See, the original poster thought we were just keeping the thread warm ;>)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jovreefer
If anyone wants to discuss body shapes, or small vs. large breeding facilities please feel free to pm or open a new thread
fwiw: This is a stubby clown

Just one of the interesting variants from ORA:
http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish_species.html

If one was to search RC, a few very interesting posts about the stubbies would show up, not to mention a few debates on culling with some of the resident breeders, some historical discussions regarding the origin of "onyx", etc., etc.

Too bad the picture links from the old days are broken :>(

Cheers folks.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

yeah, that's the one I was talking about

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/14/2007, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

Hello GSM,

The LFS advertising is up in Scotland, so maybe not for your visit!

I'm in the north of England, about as far north as you can get before Scotland.

If you PM me, I'll get some info for you on London LFS for you.

Updated my Red House
Old 12/14/2007, 11:36 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

Ok, If original poster is ok with their thread going in 10 different directions lol.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I was not meaning rods clowns were "stubby" like ora's "stubby" clown. Just that they are a shorter bodied clown, not to that extreem though. I've got a few pictures at home of 2 rods next to different wild clowns I'll get up later tonight or tomorrow. When your looking at a rods clown you cant visably see the difference unless its swimming next to a regular clown. Again though, I just want to stress, rods clowns are awsome! I'd recomend them to anyone. The in-breeding does not seem to affect their health at all, they are super healthy clowns

Its just a personal preference of mine not to in-breed.
Old 12/23/2007, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Misbar? We know variants.