Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Constant water changes with concentrated salt water

I'm going to try setting up a constant water changing system using the Litermeter III. Is there a problem with using concentrated saltwater (say at least twice the natural concentration level)? I figure it would be easy enough to determine the amount I would need to dose based on concentration. However, I'm not sure if there would be other issues involved with using highly concentrated salt water. For instance, how concentrated could I get it so that it all still dissolves? I want to do this so that I can draw from a smaller chamber without having to make new saltwater as often.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: Constant water changes with concentrated salt water

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
I'm going to try setting up a constant water changing system using the Litermeter III. Is there a problem with using concentrated saltwater (say at least twice the natural concentration level)? I figure it would be easy enough to determine the amount I would need to dose based on concentration. However, I'm not sure if there would be other issues involved with using highly concentrated salt water. For instance, how concentrated could I get it so that it all still dissolves? I want to do this so that I can draw from a smaller chamber without having to make new saltwater as often.
Brine is pretty inconsistant and precips a fair amount. You can use a brine method but I wouldnt use just to save space. You can mix rodi water and brine on a as needed basis and automate as long as you control the sg.

Don
Old 12/13/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

I don't think you will be able to get 70ppt (2X) to dissolve. We had a system like that in the lab I worked in, in college. If I remember correclty, water saturated around 45ppt give or take...
Old 12/13/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m2434
I don't think you will be able to get 70ppt (2X) to dissolve. We had a system like that in the lab I worked in, in college. If I remember correclty, water saturated around 45ppt give or take...
If you use supernatant and a controller you can get away with this but the precip will ruin the bottom portion of a bucket of salt. About 10%.

Don
Old 12/14/2007, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Over a short period of time you might get away with such a salty solution without major precipitation of any of the solutes. Over the long term, as mentioned, things like CaCO3 will precipitate out and you'll end up with something very different from what you started with.

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 12/14/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

If you use the supenatant route you loose about 10ppm ca with warm water, io salt. 10ppm is easy to fix. Take a look at the dialyseas system. There is a picture in one of the older reefkeeping articles that shows how the salt container is setup. Pretty simple but effective with no real side effects that cant be dealt with.

Don
Old 12/14/2007, 07:58 AM
Reef Chemist

I do automatic water changes with dual head pump, but I use normal 35 ppt seawater. I don't recommend using it more concentrated for the reasons detailed above.