Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

micro bubbles

Im have this problem with micro bubbles I have tried to do a couple of things, like putting a filter sock, putting a filter around my return pump. Nothing works. So what can I do??? I know I don't have the best equipment, but I have to make it work. thanks for the help.

This is what I'm working with.

This is what I'm getting.........
Old 12/13/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

I'm guessing you have a lot of flow going through your tank. That pipe to the left..the return from tank to wet-dry needs to somehow be angled towards the right wall at at least a 45 degree angle to bounce the flow downward. a pvc elbow would work. Raising the return pump might help.

And/or if too much flow is running through tank.....maybe control flow with ball valve or downgrade pumps. Not sure cause you did not list equipment. etc...
Old 12/13/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Do you have bubbles at all where your pump is? I can't tell.

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph
Old 12/13/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

First I would make sure that there is no air leaks in your return line. I had this problem when I setup my return. I had to drill a hole to break the siphon when the power went out. I didn't have a pressure fitting on the end of the output so it was just free flowing and created a vacuum and pulled in air. That is the first thing that I would check.

The next thing, and people are going to argue with this one. I would add more bio-balls. The whole idea of the balls is to have a wet dry filter. Well, yours is not getting dry. All the balls are in the water and never get any air. This will help accumulate the bubbles into bigger bubbles and make them float to the top. What the others are going to argue is that the bio-balls are nitrate factories. I have then in my tank and I never get over .25 and that was after not doing a water change for 6 months.

The third thing that I would do anyway. And that is put a coarse filter before the water falls into the drip tray. I see a lot of bubbles coming out of the inlet and that can cause this. The filter will do that same thing that I said about the balls.

And is that Rio 2100 the only pump that you have on the tank? Are you running any power heads in the tank? If you are, are they close to the top?
Old 12/13/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

I did the 45 degree elbow but did not work. Not enough space. i will try raising the pump, and if that does not work I will use a control flow with ball valve. I'm using a Rio 1100 flowrate of 300 GPH.

Yes there is bubbles a round my return pump.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

The tank looks brand new. Let it break in for about a week. Put a ball valve on the pump to slow down the flow. Add powerheads or wavemakers to create flow in the tank.

Get rid of the bio-balls. They will become a Nitrate factory. I strongly disagree with Handyman. Bio-balls are not porous like live rock and can not grow anerobic bacteria that will complete the nitrogen process.

I had a Pro-Clear sump once. Had the same problems you did until I slowed down the flow and let it break in. I removed the filter pad as well. They clog and overflow.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

I've had the tank running for about five months, but I have always had this problem. I will put the ball valve on the pump to slow it down. should I have live rock where the bio balls are?
Old 12/13/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

I have no idea why I didn't think of the LR. That would make a better filter than the balls. It will get heavy on the egg crate but will help more with the bubbles. I have had a lot of thought of putting rubble in the spot where my bioballs are at just for this reason. But, that much rubble is a little out of my range right now.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

http://images.lowes.com/product/611918/611918017693.jpg
Old 12/13/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by angel2007
I did the 45 degree elbow but did not work. Not enough space. i will try raising the pump, and if that does not work I will use a control flow with ball valve. I'm using a Rio 1100 flowrate of 300 GPH.

Yes there is bubbles a round my return pump.
Where there is a will, there is a way...you see that flex tubing you have in the background? Get a small chunk and find that right size to fit into your pvc pipe..itt'l bend....and bingo. point it down, 45 degrees wherever. Ask the lfs or HD for the overbrace that goes around the tubing to ensure it bends the way you like and there is no chance it can pop upward to release flow out of your dry filter.

Also......
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1031074

that sticky is still my bible.....

read. and hit melevsreef site when you are bored.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

It looks like there is a lot of air coming into your sump, which is probably why you have micro bubbles in the display. Small sumps are tough, because the bubbles have less opportunity to pop before the water returns to the display. It's something that I wrestle with every time I make a change to my sump.

Three possible strategies come to mind:
-I'm not sure how the water is being fed to your sump, but the large air bubbles coming in indicate that your GPH flowing in greatly exceed your return. This creates excess space in your incoming plumbing for air. Restricting the flow with a valve can create some back flow, filling the incoming plumbing, and reducing air (and noise).

-The air and water enter the sump in the same area, and are directed straight to the chamber with the bio balls. Can you DIY some PVC to give the bubbles an opporunity to pop? Something like a tee that has a vent at the surface, and then extends nearly to the bottom of the first chamber.

-The RIO 1100 is rated at GPH, but you are probably experiencing some head loss based on the vertical height and diameter of the plumbing. For instance, I use a mag 5 (rated at 500 GPH) to return from my sump to my display. The head loss from my plumbing reduces the flow to about 260 GPH (up from 190, thanks to some recent changes). A larger pump will increase your flow, leaving less room for air in your return plumbing. You can calculate your head loss here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php
Old 12/14/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

having live rock where the bio balls where is that a good things or should i not even try this?
Old 12/14/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Do you have enough rock in the tank? at least a pound a gallon? if so remove the bio balls. then put a layer of the cotton sheet or even better the blue foam stuff on the bottom layer of the egg crate.
Then put some rubble rock UNDER the bio ball section. then put a 90 fitting on your return pump facing down and away from the incoming water. Also put a Tee on the incoming water so that one end is submersed and the other end is sticking out of the water. With so much flow and so small of a sump I dont think any 1 thing will help. you most likely need to do all of the above to completly remove all the bubbles.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

If it were me, I'd go with live rock rubble instead of bio balls (but I don't think that will make any difference for your micro bubble problem).

I also notice that my filter sock does a good job helping to diffuse air bubbles. You could get 2-3 of them for the intake, and swap them out and clean them every few days to make sure that they don't build up too much detritus.