Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Reef Keeper 2

Ok guys i saw the new Reef Keeper 2 on the add on top of the page on RC. After reading some on it, seems like a good buy for a good price. Monitors almost everything i need. I really like this maybe even thinking bout asking the parentals to consider this as a christmas gift. =)

Here is the link:
Reef Keeper 2

What do you guys think about the RK2 and would this be a good buy for that price??

Also one more question where can i get a test kit or probe that will test my phosphate levels?? Thanks
Old 12/07/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Reef Keeper 2 is a nice controler, just as nice as the ac jr and ac III. it would make a fine gift.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

just in case here is a good link on controls

http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/a...omparisons.php
Old 12/07/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

I love my RK2. Got it from Sam. I have not even looked at the data logging or web abilities yet.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Killingseed - thats good to hear cuz Jay has the AC jr. and his is awsome!!!! so if the RK2 is just as good as the AC jr then that will be fine with me.

Ben - i forgot that you had the RK2, was it worth the buy for you. Did yours come with the PH probe as well as the temp. probe???? or not with any. That one on the link just comes with the temp. probe and not the PH probe.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

You have to order the Ph probe seperately. I went ahead and did so. Anytime you are in town or are coming to town call me and you can stop by and check it out.

Ben
Old 12/08/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Ok ya just checking to see if yours came with the PH probe, but ya thats what i was going to do...... ok kool sounds great!!

sent you PM
Old 12/13/2007, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

Im gonna plan on getting one of these after christmas after i get my sump up and going.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:43 AM
King of the Tank!

I think having one of these is a must for a reef tank and believe either one is worth the money. I liked the AC jr more due to it price and being expandable to control 12 outlets. I have used every one of mine so not having eight controllable outlets would have caused me to add timers. But I like the looks of the RK2 better and wish I had waited to get the AC jr with the black face. I’m planning to save for the AC III as it can control many more outlets and is very expandable but that’s down the road when I get that bigger tank I’m dreaming of!! You can get the AC jr right now from Marine Depot for 279.99 including Ph probe and serial connection.

Jay
Old 12/13/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

I will be ordering the expansion for the RK2 very soon. It is not as expandable as the AC jr. but overall I think it is a great unit.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:54 AM
King of the Tank!

Ben – Oh yes I think they are both comparable. I really like the looks of the RK2 and can’t understand why Neptune went with the Velcro attachment! I made my own breakout boxes which you can see on the left in this picture. AC jr control module is on the right.

Also here is a schematic on how I tied in two separate circuits into the system. Basically a 12V relay is installed in the breakout box that is switched by the control module. When the item is demanded it trips the relay and that provides the power from the other circuit instead of the one the AC jr’s control module is plugged into

Jay
Old 12/13/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Ok so which of the two is better. Which of these have the most outlets to plug in different items. Because i want enough for future mods and dont want to have to buy another controller.

Jay - did your AC Jr. come with that many outlets cuz if i counted
them correctly they are a total of 24 outlets WOW!!!!!
Old 12/13/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
I think having one of these is a must for a reef tank and believe either one is worth the money. I liked the AC jr more due to it price and being expandable to control 12 outlets. I have used every one of mine so not having eight controllable outlets would have caused me to add timers. But I like the looks of the RK2 better and wish I had waited to get the AC jr with the black face. I’m planning to save for the AC III as it can control many more outlets and is very expandable but that’s down the road when I get that bigger tank I’m dreaming of!! You can get the AC jr right now from Marine Depot for 279.99 including Ph probe and serial connection.

Jay

Hey Jay i was looking on Marine Depot and the AC jr that is 279.99 doesnt come with a pH probe. It it the AC jr + serial port + temperature probe + DC8. Unless i am looking at it all wrong???

Here is the link that i was looking at from Marine Depot:
AC Jr. from Marine Depot

Love the way you did the extra plugs!!!! Where did you get the extra plugs from and how did you run them together with the AC Jr. A controller and a good high end skimmer are on the top of my list to get next. It is coming together real nice, slowly but surely! =) O i stained the stand jay, looks real nice!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:09 PM
King of the Tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by underWoasisjake
Hey Jay i was looking on Marine Depot and the AC jr that is 279.99 doesnt come with a pH probe. It it the AC jr + serial port + temperature probe + DC8. Unless i am looking at it all wrong???

Here is the link that i was looking at from Marine Depot:
AC Jr. from Marine Depot
Sorry I meant to link to Premium Aquatics. It is $244.95 and then select standard probe for $39.95 so $284.90.

Jay
Old 12/13/2007, 11:44 PM
King of the Tank!

Quote:
Ok so which of the two is better. Which of these have the most outlets to plug in different items. Because i want enough for future mods and dont want to have to buy another controller.
Really, only you can decide this one. Use that chart John linked above. IMO the AC jr is better but just slightly due to pricing and expandability.
Quote:
Jay - did your AC Jr. come with that many outlets cuz if i counted them correctly they are a total of 24 outlets WOW!!!!!
It’s seems complicated but it really isn’t. Maybe harder to explain! No the AC jr can only control 12 total outlets. But you can use the breakout boxes to expand each individual outlet that is controlled. Here is an example:

In the pic below is the path for two of the light circuits. The AC jr is plugged into a receptacle behind and to the right of my stand. The red circle is a standard 115V plug wired over to the breakout box by the green colored wire. When the AC jr calls for the lights to come on 115V is applied and triggers the 12V plug circled in orange. 12V is then applied to the other breakout box to the left of the orange circle. This triggers a DPDT relay like this I got at Radio Shack.

This relay triggers an internal coil which connects 115V from the purple wire which is from the other outlet (behind my TV). All this to draw power from the other outlet and only using minimal amperage from the 8 plug AC jr controller that powers the 12V plug.

I don’t want to confuse anymore than I probably have but not pictured is the Direct Connect 4 (DC4) which added the 12 total outlets.

Here are some pics and diagram of the breakout boxes I made.

This one is designed with space for the relay.

Jay
Old 12/14/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Wow i didtn know you made those breakout boxes to Jay!!! sweet!!!! Where you learn to do all this.... RC or you have know about electrical circuits. I kinda get what your saying, but not all the way, its ok sounds like it is hard to explain. Anyways very koo Jay!!

I will check out that premium aquatics website for the AC Jr.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

there are couple differences with the RK2 and the AC jr. not sure any of this helps you out or are features you are looking for. that would be a plus to know what you want it to do and why.
This info is based on the chart from that link I added from above.
Ac can be setup with menus and scripts rk2 menu only.
The ac can have float switches added to the rk2 cant.
Ac has ,Alarms(Visual/Audible) rk2 doesn’t.
Ac can be passworded rk2 doesn’t.
Ac has moon control rk2 doesn’t.
Rk2 has web functions not listed on chart from that site ac jr doesn’t but the ac III does.

Not sure how old that chart from that web site but I know they just redid the RK2 and added new functions to it. sense I know the rk2 has web functions that the chart doesn’t list as having and would have to recheck some of these things with the rk2 site.

edited.
ok checked site.
rk2 has Night Mode.

ac jr has a rs232 port for connected to pc's . ac III has that and an ethernet port. rk2 has a rs232 port as well but i think you can get an ethernet port added to it not sure.

Last edited by killingseed; 12/14/2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

just to add, the Aquatronica controller is another nice unit as well.
Aquatronica has all the same fetures as the other controllers with one exception the Aquatronica can have Salinity(Reading/Control/Probes) added to it.
Old 12/14/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info killingseed!!!
Wow that would be nice to have salinity probe as well!! =)
Very kool i am looking into that one now as well for the price range etc. Thanks
Old 12/14/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Just looked at the comparison chart for the controllers..... very neat tell you what each controller can do. I also saw nitrate, calicum, and salinity probes for the controllers. I am a little confused on that would the AC Jr. or RK2 be able to add those probes to keep the readings. Or does it mean they cant read those and wont control those probes??? If not then i would need to buy seperate probes for those 3 exta readings.......
Old 12/14/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

As far as I know the RK2 is not compatible with those probes. Also, I am not sure how reliable those types of probes really are?!?
Old 12/14/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

i know the chart has those probes listed but if you scroll though those section you will see no controls is list as being able to use nitrate, calicum, amonia. ph and temp probes are nice. you can have the controler shut off lights and heaters if temp to high. the ph probe is good for stopping a kalk, calicum or doing pump when ph is to high. if you dont have a kalk, calicum reactor or doing pump. i would say you may not need the ph probe yet.

for basic need the control its self is nice just for controling lights and maybe the temp probe. upgrade as you go.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

its nice to have the Ph probe just to know what your Ph is and not have to test for it
Old 12/15/2007, 03:33 AM
Registered Member

ya very true just asking...... jus would like it to have the system on a controller. Controlling the lights, temp, pH, and water top off is certainly good enough start for me!!! =) Now to decide the AC Jr. or RK2.... im leaning now towards the AC Jr. and a controller is my next buy for the 120. I will hopefully be getting one by christmas or after christmas. After that, a good skimmer then a top off system..... I really liked the tunze osmolator from the last meeting!!! =) Waiting for petco to have the sale for $1 a gallon sale to get a 40 gallon breeder to use as my sump/fuge.

Im hoping to get the sump up and running sumtime soon after new years, then i can go CORAL crazy!!!! lol jk Then i could really start getting corals and letting them grow to take to the meetings to trade with everybody else!!! =) My christmas wish... =)
Old 12/21/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Just received a RK2 for an early christmas present from my gf. Wont get to play with it til next year since I am leaving on vacation. Ill let you know jake how it goes.

Josh