Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Raising alkalinity?

Hello,

I started a new tank, and now I feel that it is cycled. My PH is in a safe range but my alkalinity is undetectable. How can I raise the alkalinity safely?
Old 12/11/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Hi
I have heard of low KH but never 'undetectable', what test kits are you using, what do you mean by 'ph is in a safe range', what are your other parameters.

Barry
Old 12/11/2007, 12:11 PM
Team RC Member

undetectable does seem a little wierd if you ask me. If PH is in a safe range, I'd imagine the KH would NOT be undetectable as buffering capacity is directly related to PH and whanot.

what test kit are you using?

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/11/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Give some more info Rob, But it does sound like you have a bad test kit or prehaps you are reading/using it incorrectly. KH test kits generally use the instant color change method after X drops of XYZ Potion are added.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

I am using the salifert test kit. Maybe I am doing something wrong I will double check but have done it many times and thought I was doing it properly. My PH is between 8.2-8.3. I am also using a calcium reactor.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:57 PM
Team RC Member

unless the tank has loads of corals/calcium using specimens in there right now, the ca reactor would raise ca and alk levels alot, alot more than undetectable anyways. I was runnin' one on a cycling tank just the other week and when the tank was done cycling my Alk was sitting at a whopping 24dKH with a Ca level around 700+ppm. That was a large water change I wished I hadn't needed to do, lol.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/12/2007, 09:43 AM
Reef Chemist

If PH is in a safe range, I'd imagine the KH would NOT be undetectable as buffering capacity is directly related to PH and whanot.

Alkalinity cannot be less than about 2 meq/L if the pH in a reef aquarium above 8.0

rob020880 must not be getting accurate readings from the kit.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

I am a total idiot and just now realized that I was reading the conversion chart that came with the salifert test kit wrong. In fact not only is my alkalinity detectable it is off the scale. 16+ dKH.

Now my question is how do I go about lowering this? I have a calcium reactor running but I now shut it off. Will the alkalinity go down on its own? Or do I need to add something, or do a water change? My ph is a little high as well at 8.4. How do I get to the ideal parameters?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:37 AM
Reef Chemist

Just wait for it to drop on its own (while not adding any supplements). Try diluting the sample with RO/DI water (equal parts tank and RO/DI) to get an actual reading (by doubling the kit value). Then you'll be more easily able to monitor the drop.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

I would double check that high reading with another test kit just to be safe before you lower it. Usually the LFS can do it for you no problem. I say this because I've read lately that many people are getting very high Alkalinity readings from Salifert Test Kits when they are actually within the normal range. Salifert has always been a good brand, but it seems some of the newer batches seem to have real issues.

More information on the Alkalinity issues with Salifert:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12/13/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

You dont need the calcium reactor as of yet. Your jumping ahead a little fast and i see future problems. Why do you have a calcium reactor in a new setup?
You need just the basics and then go from there.