Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

starting the nano

ok so I am still looking at the 8 gallon nano I won at the frag swap and I was planning on getting it set up soon. then today i came home and found what can only be described as a 'piece " of my RBTA in the overlow of the 90 gallon . I know it is live because it is moving and pulseing.thinking doin a quick set up of the 8 gallon to use as a hospital tank for this baby. Somebody stop me if I am wrong but if I were to use some of the live rock from the 90 and some of the sand ( I can siphon off some ) plus some of the water from the 90 , would that be good enough to put this baby RBTA in there or do I just need to try to find a way to stabelize it in the 90 somewhere out of the flow and hope it stays out of the overflow?
It is only about 3 to 4 inches long and maybe an inch wide so we are not talking a big specimen but it does have a mouth.
my main question is ...will this quickie setup be too dangerous for the RBTA ? I can't imagine it will survive in the bottom of the overflow so I am just trying to give the little thing a chance.
If I need to do a full cycle , I can try to find a quiet place in the 90 for now and hope he grabs onto a rock .
Old 12/12/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

GJ, is he too little to go under a strawberry crate or something like that? That should contain him and allow some flow until he gets over his shocks, injuries, etc. You can also put a flat rock under him for him to attach to.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

I had a couple of RBTA clones make the trip over the overflow. They looked pretty battered when I fished them out, but I threw them back in the main tank and they finally found a spot that they liked. They can recover from some pretty serious injuries in very little time. I have seen them sucked into a powerhead and crawl right back out as soon as it was turned off. I think it might be a little easier on the anemone if you just put it back in the main display. I usually just held them lightly against the rock until they attached in a place that looked good. They normally would crawl a few inches and then attach until they split. Mine split many times over the 2 years that I had it and I believe it is still splitting for Malisa.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:38 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Still have never had a split from my anemone since I got it in March of '04 except the very first week when a piece crawled over the overflow and got ground up in the skimmer pump. I

It seems happy and eats well and keeps getting bigger.

I agree Nick and Vicki, though. It will be happiest in the same water and conditions it came from. That nano probably doesn't have enough light for him either does it?

Good luck.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

ok I got him fished out and put a bowl of rubble in the 90 and dropped him in ...he has settled face down on the bottom of the bowl . I tried just putting him in the tank with no bowl and he rolled all over from the flow ..this seemed to be a better alternative. he is really small and is not moving much tonight so he may not make it ...only time will tell . The big RBTA is still hanging out in a really hard to get to spot but the clowns are still hanging in there with it . I am hoping it will get tired of being in the dark and come back out soon.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefdiver77
GJ, is he too little to go under a strawberry crate or something like that? That should contain him and allow some flow until he gets over his shocks, injuries, etc. You can also put a flat rock under him for him to attach to.
Vicki had a good idea there I used a similar method with a piece of tupperware .... face down is not a good sign though .. Ive had anemones get sucked into overflows b4 and get hurt but if you try and help them is usually when the clones end up dying ... just leaving them alone and cutting off the flow until the little clone finds a home always works for me ...

You got the biocube from the show with the lighting upgrade didn't you? You could use the biocube as a hospital as long as you don't keep it there permanently .... Are you running the stock pump in the biocube by itself Bj? I would cut it off until Jr. can plant itself on a rock ...

Cathy probably has the healthiest anemone I ever saw .... its a monster ... splitting doesn't always mean its healthy .. sometimes it can spilt from stress ... anemones are weird like that

I hope it gets fat and healthy but if you notice it doesn't survive get it out right away ... they get nasty when they die
Old 12/13/2007, 09:07 AM
WTMRAC Pres 07~08

Still haven't set up the nano? Tsk, tsk,tsk Why don't you let me have it? I need another hole in my head nano. LOL

Click the Red House to see my tank pictures.
Old 12/13/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Jason, I could not cut the flow since it is still in the 90 ...the bowl trick was the best I could do .I am pretty certain it is dead so I have pulled the bowl out of the tank and it is sitting on the table and I am checking regularly for movement. It does not stink but it is showing some signs of slight disentegration. One side of it looks all white and yucky but the foot is still dark in color and the remaining tentacles are still bright pink so I have not given up just yet. If I do loose this one , the next one that goes into the overflow will just have to stay there for a while . I would call this a learning experience.
Scott , the reason I have not set up the nano is my step dad is building me a cabinet for it that will hold and hide a top off unit and since I do not see him that often because he lives 3 hours away , I have not picked up the cabinet so I have not set up the tank. I do have big plans for that little tank though...
BJ
Old 12/13/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

yeah Bj it sounds like you lost it ... sorry