Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 03:29 PM
LOOKING FOR MONTI 'S

OT why I hate charter

Check this out been having problems with charter since about July of 07 . Made a payment and they never credited it . I call them and talk to the supervisor and he says O I see I will take care of that right now . Next bill comes in still not fixed . I call the supervisor he says I don't see what your talking about . So after a long phone call He is going to fix the problem . NEXT bill same thing . I am feed up with this so I start changing my services get rig of the home phone change to direct TV get hughs net for cable . I finally get all my services changed cancel everything with Charter on OCT 4 . Call the supervisor and request copys of my bills from July to Oct 4 . About 6 weeks later I get the copys and Right there on the copys is were they didn't credit a payment . I call the supervisor and walk him through his own companys statements and after everything is said and done I have a credit of 29.31 it should be 109.31 but thats not the bad part . I am getting bills still I just got a collection notice for my bill for Nov - 07 and Dec 07 I have talked to a supervisor three times and explained that I don't have any services with your company . He is going to fix the problem right now .Right I am still getting bills as of today .

And they are starting to do the same thing to my grandmother in law .

AND THIS IS WHY I HATE CHARTER

John
Old 12/12/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

That is the problem with perfect monopolies. There should be at least two or three cable providers to choose from. Two or three electric, gas companies etc. Your choices are cable or satellite. If there was other cable companies to choose from, than they would be less likely to screw around with you. Even if you drop, they have all those other people to screw over. Perfect example, one that we all have been burned on is Ameren.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:03 PM
Moved On

I hate having to watch CBS on standard def
Old 12/12/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Weekly test of storm warning every night!!!!......grrrr Ok so I am a night Owl
Old 12/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Master of my domain

oh I thought it was paying to 10meg download speed and getting 3meg, and nobody can figure out why. (so if you know why LMK!)

I also hate having to watch CBS in standard def...
Old 12/12/2007, 05:23 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Make sure they don't report you to collection agencies too....

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/12/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Just had the cable guy here. I can't have Dish or Direct, too many trees in the way...

HD box they installed on Friday quit on Sunday and I just got it fixed. The guy was cool, but he did say with AT&T getting into the cable business they are getting alot of competition. I just hope it makes them improve.

Any dish installers out there that can come take a look and see if I can have the sat. or not?

"Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face."

Mike Tyson
Old 12/12/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by latazyo
I hate having to watch CBS on standard def
Yeah football looks so bad after watching every other game in high def.
I also like how they assume their customer base won't pay a few extra dollars for NFL network so they don't even offer it in one of their packages.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grace's Dad
Yeah football looks so bad after watching every other game in high def.
I also like how they assume their customer base won't pay a few extra dollars for NFL network so they don't even offer it in one of their packages.
The NFL Network issues is that Charter (and other cable companies) want us to pay. The NFL network wants it to be offered as part of the basic package.

"Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face."

Mike Tyson
Old 12/12/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

AT&T has this new thing called Uverse. it is basiclly internet and tv of fiber optics. Pricing isn't bad. Might be a better option than cable.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 12/12/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zt444a
The NFL Network issues is that Charter (and other cable companies) want us to pay. The NFL network wants it to be offered as part of the basic package.
????? Didn't know that, I would still pay (should get if they offered it) since I already buy all the premium crap minus their version of tivo
Old 12/12/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

I am also convinced that someone at charter hates football and prefers mens figure skating/bull riding. Not counting the Rams have you seen the crappy games they give us when there are really good match-ups scheduled?
Old 12/15/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Fwiw charter has a whole group of people thats job is to call back and act like they are managers. I hate them, but can't have a dish.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Quit calling them and go in there!!!! They get a whole new attitude while your standing right in front of them, almost even nice!

As for hating football, other than not offering the NFL Network(the NFLs attempt to make themselves bigger than they really are), I don't think Charter has any control over what games we see here in St. Louis, that is all done on the network level. Personally I had DISH for over two years and I like Charter better, never goes out, even in snow!!!
Old 12/16/2007, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

I agree with BigMoCats John... go to one of the big centers will all of your paper work and snickers bar. Don't leave until you are satisfied that it is all taken care of. It has worked for me i the past.

Charter TV is getting booted from my house in a couple of weeks- not having CBS HD is very poor in a city of this size. Then there is NFL network, NFL-N HD, Universal HD, TBS HD, Vs. HD, and USA HD. Thanks Charter for adding History HD and making PBS HD stable, but that ain't gonna cut it.

Grace's Dad- the NFL TV lineup is part of a complicated formula that the NFL puts out. Basically, they will show you the local game for that market (i.e. the Rams for us), then in other time slot (noon or three pm game) you get two others. Except for weird weekends like this one where there are only 3 four o'clock games. In this case, it isn't Charters fault.

spooda420- I talked to some Sir Lankan babe one night to ask why my 3meg downloads were more like 500K downloads. Some empty threats by me and a few clicks later by her, my downloads were 5meg/sec. She explained that you can expect anywhere from 50-100% of the advertised speed. If its lower, call them because they probably have some electronic speed restrictor on. Go figure.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

I have has Direct TV for 11 years. Since I have been a valued customer I get boxes for half price and free HD. I have had no Problems. I had a bunch of problems with charter phone and internet. I was so mad I drove to the charter place and I thought I was going to kill them but I let the monster "wife " do the talking and I had to hold her back. I pay for 5 meg and still get 3 meg. I say we get pitch forks and some fuel oil and teach them a lesson. Do it Dave's way.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:23 AM
I'm not scared, Are you??

Man I'm sure sorry to here all this. I have had Charter now for 5 years. I've never been over billed or had any issues with them. I must be a rare case I guess?? Although I wonder about my internet speed sometimes. For me sometimes it rocks super fast, and then other days not so fast. But I don't know all the jarbish 5meg & 3meg stuff??? I couldn't tell you how to test to see if I'm getting 5meg or 3meg. And with that NFL crap, well I'm not into sports at all so I could care less. I watch the History channels, National Geographic channels, Military channel, court T.V., travel channel and that one naked science channel. Now if I could only get Charter to drop that horrid life-time & oxygen channels which are truly nothing more than garbage... I'd like them even more.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Try this for internet speed testing: http://www.speedtest.net/
Plus it is just cool to watch the graphics!
Old 12/17/2007, 09:51 AM

Yea I tested here before but here's my test results from now.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/212901329.png

Old 12/17/2007, 09:53 AM
Moved On

if I test and I get 4800kbps

does that mean IM running 5meg?

I thought I was only doing 3meg....must have got a free upgrade in there somewhere
Old 12/17/2007, 10:54 AM

I don't know, All I see is kbs. And then DL is higher than UL so I still don't know how many megs I'm running at?? Or is that what the ping is?? Does it say m5?? Or is my tired eyes playing tricks on me??

Old 12/17/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

5000kbps = 5mbps or 5meg

I have charter and when it is working i get about 5000kbps down and 500kbps up.

Anyone here have AT&T Uverse? I have fiber into my home but they still are not offering it.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:30 AM
Moved On

thanks rs2208

so although I hate charter, apparently I have been upgraded with no increase in cost, so I guess that's cool

I was right around 5000/500 D/U

stupid, the DL is download and UL is upload...upload is almost always slower...advertised speeds are in DL
Old 12/17/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

UL is always slower, in your Charter contract you will notice that your "speed" is only download speed (which is ok since that is what you do most), the advertised upload speed is somewhere around 500-750 kbs. Also in that contract, "Your speed will vary" and the folks at Charter say within 50% of the 5,000 kbs is acceptable. If you are getting slower than that, then call them because there is a problem somewhere in the line.

I think that nearly everyone got the upgrade a few months ago. The newer speeds are very nice... watching streaming video is now a very pleasant experience.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:08 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I pay for 5 MEG and got 4.1 MEG on the speed test.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."