Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Poor tang...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgray110/1518278062/

What a shame...
Old 12/12/2007, 12:16 AM
Moved On

THAT SUCKS.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Well always the pesamist it could be worse. I only see 2 other fish.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

I see 3 others
Old 12/12/2007, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

I currently have a quarter size hippo in my 24 gal cube. A nursery until he get big enough to go in with the bigger fish. The fish is tiny, and it is fine for the moment. Maybe that is what is going on here. Just a thought.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

He'll never know why it died in a week. Even if you told him
Old 12/12/2007, 01:05 AM
Keeper of the clams!!!

some people

That should fix it everything right???
Old 12/12/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Don't worry, he plans on upgrading to a 15 gallon tank in the near future.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Instead of "what-a-shaming" why don't you comment on the photo and invite the person to RC so they can learn...
Old 12/12/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Well that is deffinately tooo bad but not uncommon, all these fish swim miles a day roaming free wherever they want and we put them in these (bigger tanks) and think its ok? Doesnt make sense to me we (the humam race) messes with the ocean so much. But i am glad that (in some estimated amount of years most of the corals as we know will be extinct), to own a small part of something beautifull. So theres no use of actually trying to make a difference. Maybe they are new to the hobby? And some people at lfs's try just to make a buck.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

jeezzz.....
Old 12/12/2007, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

need to have a way to put some frags back so they won't go extinct
Old 12/12/2007, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
sunfish11 Instead of "what-a-shaming" why don't you comment on the photo and invite the person to RC so they can learn...
Trust me. If I was a member of Flickr I most definitely would. I stumbled across this picture while doing a yahoo image search. I do, however, find it difficult to believe that this person doesn't know better. If they're at the point where they're successfully keeping coral - as it appears in the picture - I'm sure they've at some point learned that tangs should not be kept in a tank of that size. As well keeping that many fish in such a small space. It seems to me like a classic case of "I'll keep what I want". But, granted, I don't know the circumstances so I can only speculate. It's just upsetting seeing that.

Quote:
Cantonesefish Don't worry, he plans on upgrading to a 15 gallon tank in the near future.
Ahahah right on.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

That tang has got to be dizzy...all it can do is swim in circles all day.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:06 AM
------------

I'm perhaps inviting myself to be shamed - here goes.

I currently have a ~1.5" tang in a 15G.

I do realize this isn't a viable long term option and as such there has been a plan in the beginning to a move to a larger tank.

At the moment however, if you scale the tang's swimming space as a proportion of it's body length.... My tang has more swimming space than does a 12" tang in a 6' tank. (i.e. 24"/1"= 24 vs. 72"/12"= 6)

I AM NOT advocating that everyone with small tanks goes ahead and buys fish which will outgrow them. Furthermore, you could argue that this fish needs a very large swimming area throughout it's life.

However, sometimes the argument is lost on me when we consider the size of our tanks relative to the ocean..... Let's try and keep everything in perspective.

(FWIW the tang in the picture looks a lot bigger than 1")
Old 12/12/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Let's bust him out of jail!
Old 12/12/2007, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

....and put him in a bigger jail?
Old 12/12/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
Exactly...I agree that a nano is way too small for any tang but I always find it funny how people with 6' tanks keep tangs and act like theirs are in ideal conditions. I have a 6' tank and would not keep a tang in it. Its still not big enough. I dive and have seen tangs many times in the ocean. I have never really seen any other fish that swim as freely and fast as them...Diving among tangs would probably change peoples minds about keeping them in any jail. JMO.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Old 12/12/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tajjo
Well that is deffinately tooo bad but not uncommon, all these fish swim miles a day roaming free wherever they want and we put them in these (bigger tanks) and think its ok? Doesnt make sense to me we (the humam race) messes with the ocean so much. But i am glad that (in some estimated amount of years most of the corals as we know will be extinct), to own a small part of something beautifull. So theres no use of actually trying to make a difference. Maybe they are new to the hobby? And some people at lfs's try just to make a buck.
Do yoy think our hobby is gonna be responsable of that?, or in some level?

Reefteria!!!!
Old 12/12/2007, 03:56 PM
Member of the Month

I realize none of our tanks are large enough for tangs or other certain fish. The way I have always looked at it is unfortunately once a fish is caught its fate is sealed. Once its at the LFS it cannot go back to the ocean. What I can do for it is let it live in decent conditions with the best food and best possible water conditions I can provide. Rather me have my yellow tang in my 75 than someone else have it in a 20, and rest assured if I had not bought it, someone else would have. Maybe someone with no experience that would have killed it accidentally.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

That's what I was thinking r0bin. I got reamed on for having a 2" blue tang in a 55
Old 12/12/2007, 05:41 PM

I doubt the tang has any clue that he's being kept in a nanocube

IF fish could talk, I'm sure they will tell you how fortunate they are to be in a captive environment instead of the wild - where there is no fear of predation, guaranteed everyday feeding, and ideal temperature all season long

On the other hand, I don't understand this human bias towards lovely organisms.. I mean, people go to jail for hurting dogs, but NO ONE has ever gone to jail for killing snakes(??) People get outraged when they see a Tang in a 55G but it's okay to breed AND FEED baby Mollies?? ?? I don't get it...
Old 12/12/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
I mean, people go to jail for hurting dogs, but NO ONE has ever gone to jail for killing snakes(??) People get outraged when they see a Tang in a 55G but it's okay to breed AND FEED baby Mollies?? ?? I don't get it...
"Puppies are cute and fuzzy. Snakes are ugly." That's the typical mentality that goes behind why people make decisions as to which animal is ok to kill and which animal must be treated like a human. Trust me - I feel the same way as you on this subject.

There are so many "gray areas" as to what's right and what's wrong. This tang in a nanocube is probably safer than a tang in a 200 gallon that's completely filled with SPS.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I was happy when I got a bigger office