Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

New Tinkers Butterfly (pics)

I thought I would share some pics of my new Tinker's Butterfly. I put him in my 230 gallon mixed reef. So far he has not done any serious damage to my corals. He even left my CoCo worm alone. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Colby

Old 12/12/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

What a beauty!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

That's a beautiful fish! Too bad it's out of my price range.

Good Luck with your new addition.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Butterfly

I love him! What beautiful coloring!
Old 12/12/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Now that's one pretty little fish! I hope he continues to be a model citizen, though honestly I'd put up with a little misbehaviour in order to keep a beauty like that
Old 12/12/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Wow, he looks like he's in great shape too. Where did you find him?
Old 12/12/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful fish! Please keep us posted if he bothers any corals and, if so, which corals he bothers. Good luck.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:57 PM
Got Nog?

Re: New Tinkers Butterfly (pics)

Quote:
Originally posted by CableGuy
I thought I would share some pics of my new Tinker's Butterfly. I put him in my 230 gallon mixed reef. So far he has not done any serious damage to my corals. He even left my CoCo worm alone. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Colby

What a beauty!! I would love to get one. I just purchased a mitratus butterfly and he should be here tomorrow. Hope to get a tinkers down the road.

Scott
Pair of Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 12/12/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

One of my favorites, along with Wrought Iron butterfly and Reticulated butterfly. What other fish do you have in your 230?
Old 12/12/2007, 11:36 PM
Reefer

Beautiful fish and great photos.

Thanks for sharing,
Joyce
Old 12/13/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I have been trying to order one from my Hawaii supplier for about a year now. The supplier actually sent what they called a mated pair of the Tinkers Butterflys. I put them both in my sump for safe keeping until I got them eating well. But after the first couple of day's they started fighting with eachother and as the day's went by the fighting got worse. So I'm not sure if they were actually a mated pair or not? Either way I found a home for the other one and he/she is doing very well in my freinds tank.

Like I said i have pretty much any kind of coral you can think of in my display tank and so far he has not done any serious damage. the main thing that he has done is one day I fed all my LPS corals Mysis shrimp the same food I feed him. after I fed all the corals I went home for the night and came back the next morning to find that all the mouths were picked out of my favia as well as the Acans the same corals that I fed mysis shrimp heavily. I don't know if it was the tinkers butterfly that picked out the mouths for sure or not but the centers of the acans and the favias were ripped clean out! Well a couple weeks have passed and the corals have all healed and I have not seem him pick at them since. I have also not fed the corals since as I don't want them to get picked out again. I think next time I feed the corals I am going to use a different type of food like cycolp-eeze or something similar.

I was most worried about my zoa's as they are all frags, my coco worm, and my doughnut corals but he has not paid any attention to them at all. I do have to say though my fungia plate coral looks a bit retracted the last few weeks, not sure if it's the butterfly or if it's something else?

I have lots of other fish with this guy including, a blue spotted jaw, a choati wrasse, peppermint hogfish, a mystery wrasse, randall's goby and pistol pair, sunbirst anthias, blue reef chromis, Janss pipefish, hectors goby, mandarin goby, Lineatus wrasse. And i'm sure there are a couple of others that I forgot to mention. Anyway here are a couple of pics enjoy.

Oh and I might as well throw in a picture of the Acan that I think he picked the mouths out of. But I don't want to blame him %100.

Old 01/01/2008, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

CableGuy,
I hope your Tinkers Butterfly is doing well. Any update? I would like to see some more pictures as well.
Thanks.