Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Heteractis Magnifica

does anyone know where I can buy a great specimine on line? Anything I should know about it before I buy it? I have a 200 gl mixed reef tank with MH lighting.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Generally it is best to keep H. magnifica in a species tank (not with other anemones or corals). They pack a pretty strong sting and there is also the concern of allelopathy. Before they settle in one spot, they often wander a bit trying to find just the right place (atop the live rock where they get plenty of light). I have never bought one online myself. Things to look out for are a bleached one or one that has a tear on the base. In either case, the animal is comprimised and will require pristine tank conditions to get it back to good health. Once established, I have found H. magnfica to be relatively hardy. They have a reputation as being the most difficult host anemone to keep. I think that is because many of the ones offered in the trade have suffered in collection/transport and have trouble rallying back to good health.
Gary
Old 12/09/2007, 01:30 AM
Moved On

These things grow big too. Goodluck, but they are up on the list as hardest anemone to care for.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

I would not buy one online. There are a lot of subtleties to look for when choosing a magnifica and it is hard to find a good one. I wouldn't
buy most of the ones I ever run accross.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Where can I find good info on how to identify and select an anemone? Also info for propercare? I've been looking at a magnifica for about a month now. It is a little bleached and is under poor lighting, but looks good to me otherwise.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't buy one that has been in subprime conditions for that long.
When they are on a downward spiral it can take a couple months for them to die. I'd ask phender as he has had one for a while. They are not easy anemones at all.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

purza, if you are sincerely interested in the anemone, if you buy it just know that it might not recover. The fact is, if you don't buy it, it might not live at all. And, the fact that you have a sincere interest in keeping H. magnifica increases it's odds significantly. I've had one over 5 years now, and I love this species. But, they're not the easiest anemone to keep. What kind of lighting do you have? What are your water parameters? What else do you have in the tank?
Old 12/09/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

I just went and placed an order for one with my LFS that will be here on tuesday. At the moment my reef is almost empty as I have just returned home from a study abroad session in Palermo. My water quality is perfect and the H. Magnifica will have plenty of room to settle without disturbing any of the other tank members. Why is it considered hard to keep? Is it because it requires great water quality?
Old 12/09/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

It's considered hard to keep because it needs great water quality, very high light, and a strong, random, alternating current. And the fact that most that are collected and shipped to your lfs or sold from a wholesaler are not healthy to begin with.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

You mentioned that you will be keeping the anemone under MH. I would suggest you use perhaps a 14,000K rather than the 20,000K listed in your posting. They are shallow water animals and prefer daylight. Also, don't be surprised if it takes it a while to adjust to two 250 watt MH. In transport or warehouse, it might have been under much less light than that. I personally have kept mine under PC's, MH, and now T-5's. Mine seem happier either very near the PC's (literally a few inches from the 6700K bulbs) or under the t-5 HOs. It took a long time to adapt to the MH (10,000K), which I kept them with for over a year. Some say that H. magnifica does best under MH, that hasn't been my personal experience, though I've seen pics of some under MH that were thriving. Just know, it might take yours a while to acclimate to a MH.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

I have kept mine now for over 8 years, does have a strong sting! my percs love him & never wander far away, He likes the motion of my sea swirls, and lighting enjoys VHO 160 W super & daylights more than when my halids are on, I think they also do better with there symbiotic relationship with there host clowns, and wow he has grown, he's now about 20" & likes near the bottom of a 300 gal reef, it's my first attemt with an anemone, been good for me and eats like a pig!
Old 12/10/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

It's funny lol my LFS keeps their magnificas under very weak fluerecents around 3-4 foot above the water lol for around a month. They look like their in bad shape and suckers actually buy them for around $180 AUD! LOL!
Old 12/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Slowly Stocking

Quote:
Originally posted by garygb
purza, if you are sincerely interested in the anemone, if you buy it just know that it might not recover. The fact is, if you don't buy it, it might not live at all.
It's best not to buy sick or damage livestock knowingly. The more of these anemones wither away in their inadequate facilities, the less likely they'll be to bring more in, and hopefully they can stay in the ocean where they belong.

Check the red house.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Slakker, if only that were the case. Unfortunately lfs have been bringing in these animals and keeping them in inadequate holding tanks as long as I've been keeping saltwater. What we can do is inform the lfs of the requirements of these animals.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

"It's funny lol my LFS keeps their magnificas under very weak fluerecents around 3-4 foot above the water lol for around a month. They look like their in bad shape and suckers actually buy them for around $180 AUD! LOL!"

Hardly laughable in my opinion. More like cry out loud that a species that appears not to rebound very quickly from harvesting is treated in a way that is not conducive to long-term care.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
"It's funny lol my LFS keeps their magnificas under very weak fluerecents around 3-4 foot above the water lol for around a month. They look like their in bad shape and suckers actually buy them for around $180 AUD! LOL!"

Hardly laughable in my opinion. More like cry out loud that a species that appears not to rebound very quickly from harvesting is treated in a way that is not conducive to long-term care.
totally agree.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

I feel like most do. If I get it into my tank, it can still be saved since it still has a little green in it's tentacles and looks good to me (although I have no personnal experience with keeping any anemone). I found some good information in a book on anemones and thanks to those on this forum I am getting lots of sound practical information. I have decided to wait a little while longer and buy a rbta which is what I really prefer. I'll check with my reef club then my not so lfs (both 75+ miles away).
Old 12/11/2007, 11:59 AM
Slowly Stocking

Quote:
Slakker, if only that were the case. Unfortunately lfs have been bringing in these animals and keeping them in inadequate holding tanks as long as I've been keeping saltwater. What we can do is inform the lfs of the requirements of these animals.
They keep bringing them in because there are a lot of aquarists who don't know any better, and who think "that pretty white anemone" would be a good addition to their tank, or generally failed to do their research and have no idea what a healthy anemone actually looks like. Thus, the LFS keeps selling anemones that are in poor health to people who don't have the equipment to keep it.

I once witnessed the sale of a horrible BTA specimen to a woman who told the clerk that she had "Some sort of fluorescent tubes or something." He assured her that they barely even needed light for survival and she happily walked out with a doomed animal.

Check the red house.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I know, some lfs's have personnel that either don't care or don't know any better. Fortunately, in my area, Petco stores no longer carry invertebrates, though they were for a while. They seem to stick with the hardier marine fish. I don't know what the solution is, not to buy period unless the store gets their condtions up to par, or to admonish the manager as we walk out with a sick anemone in an attempt to save the poor thing.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

well unfortunatley the heteractus did not come in, apparently they didnt have one in stock at the wholesaler. does any one know of someone that wants to sell/trade a heteractus. is there a reliable website that has them for sale?
Old 12/11/2007, 07:56 PM
10 & Over Club

Check your PM.

Dan
Old 12/11/2007, 09:40 PM
Lazy reefer

Diver Den have a H. magnifica for sale right now.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I just looked at the H. magnifica in the Diver's Den and now I feel like an idiot. I bought a bleached bta (or what I thought to be a bta) from the my lfs to save it since I'm good and bringing them back if they are otherwise healthy. It's been at least two months and it's colored back up to a tan/purpish color but it doesn't flouresce under the actinics. After looking at that picture, I'm 90% sure I have a H. magnifica, gbta, and two lta's in the same tank... great...
Old 12/12/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, Lance, long-term you are going to want to set up another couple of tanks or sale some of what you've got. If you post a pic, maybe we could help you ID the "90% sure" H. magnifica. In the meantime, as you probably know, protein skimming and activiated carbon, along with frequent water changes help to minimize whatever allelopathy might occur among your anemones.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Garygb and anyone else- I started a new thread for id help so to try not to take away from this one.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1270017