Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Nice start...keep it going!

Joe
Old 11/22/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Looks nice

Hi Kyle,

Nice looking start. I hope you don't have another fire or broken sump water leak. Your mom says another water leak and you may be donating the setup to your school. You will have to make your own items without telling anyone, or ask an engineer if you know a good one.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Anderson Ohio, robo repair... sounds alot like somebody I know, haha. Yeah nobody ever told me you can't wedge baffles in too tight. I may need to bring the engineer in on the next project. Thats if I can pull him away from the lights, for somebody who supposedly is not interested in my aquarium he sure likes to play with those changing the spectrums and turning on the moonlights to show everyone who comes over.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:02 AM
Moved On

Like the aquascaping. keep us updated.
Old 11/23/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

A little picture update

A little picture update for today:

Some new a aquisitions:

A small (1.5 inch) regal tang

Pinktail trigger (about 3-4 inches)

The two of them

Heres some pics I took while playing with the lights as my dad watched amazed, hes like a little kid with these lights.

this is what it looks like at full moon

100% DW with 100% DB

100% DB with 0 DW

100% DW with 0 DB
Old 11/23/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Awesome set up!!!! Keep posting pictures.
Old 11/23/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

thanks New to the reef. I'll try to keep up the pics, I'm planning on picking up some sticks soon, probly some montis. That pinktail eats like a champ. I'm kinda worried about him going after the maroon but as long as i keep them well fed while the maroon grows it should be fine.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

just a word of advice on the pinktail. Its a real cool fish if any of you are interested but when you buy it make sure they put it in at least two bags. He tore apart the fish bag i had him in with his teeth. If they had put him in one bag their would have been water all over the car. Make sure if you get a trigger to put him in at least 2 bags. Besides terrorizing the bag this is a sweet fish.
Old 11/29/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Wow thats some equipment list. I love the look of the solaris lights. Really cool. I'm 17, and i have friends that think i'm insane as well, but i love the hobby. I'm located in Chapel Hill, North carolina.
Old 12/03/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

damn man awsome set up holy crap! im 16 and have a 29gallon sps tank. did u say inusurance was paying for all of the equiptment due to the fire to the other tank? n e ways i cant wait to c some sticks in there man its gonna look awsome! keep up the great work
Old 12/04/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

This Vortech Stuff is starting to irritate me.. I think I will have to look into them.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Just remember, if you have a Tech tank, the Vortechs won't adhere to the BACK glass. See the thread in the Ecotech Marine Forum.

Joe
Old 12/11/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

pdfb55 - looks good!!!
Old 12/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Nice set up, couple questions

- what model Solaris?
- How much, what kind of marco rock?
Old 12/11/2007, 08:28 PM
Girls Rule!

That's a beautiful looking tank!
Old 12/11/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

the solaris lights are sweet
Old 12/11/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

20 Tech Build

Sweet setup! I love the trigger!
Old 12/12/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

sorry i've been busy lately i haven't been able to update. So pretty much all i've done is added another small maroon, trying to pair them up. I got my co2 tank filled finally and got that running today. Also my phosban reactor came in the mail today and its up and running. I've got some serious hair algae at the moment, hopefully phosban reactor will help me out a little.
Now the questions:

brandon7491,
yeah insurance paid replacement costs for everthing. I kinda spent all the money i got for equipment and livestock and put it into equipment for this tank. My parents gave me a little help too. As long as I stay out of trouble and do well in school they are usually pretty willing to pay for a little bit. I really need to get a job, haha.

Joe,
Thanks for the heads up, i never knew that. I think they will probably stay where i have them now but thats good to know just in case.

RoBolton,
thanks

dastratt ,
48 inch I series is the model. I think i was on the first shipment because they kept postponing delivery. It was 75 lbs of marco. One box of 50 lb i think it was fiji and and 25 lb box of the same stuff.

NanoGurl,
thanks

dachsieholic,
I love him. He is my favorite fish I think i've ever had. We will just have to see how he does when he has some temping sticks all around him.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

sorry i've been busy lately i haven't been able to update. So pretty much all i've done is added another small maroon, trying to pair them up. I got my co2 tank filled finally and got that running today. Also my phosban reactor came in the mail today and its up and running. I've got some serious hair algae at the moment, hopefully phosban reactor will help me out a little.
Now the questions:

brandon7491,
yeah insurance paid replacement costs for everthing. I kinda spent all the money i got for equipment and livestock and put it into equipment for this tank. My parents gave me a little help too. As long as I stay out of trouble and do well in school they are usually pretty willing to pay for a little bit. I really need to get a job, haha.

Joe,
Thanks for the heads up, i never knew that. I think they will probably stay where i have them now but thats good to know just in case.

RoBolton,
thanks

dastratt ,
48 inch I series is the model. I think i was on the first shipment because they kept postponing delivery. It was 75 lbs of marco. One box of 50 lb i think it was fiji and and 25 lb box of the same stuff.

NanoGurl,
thanks

dachsieholic,
I love him. He is my favorite fish I think i've ever had. We will just have to see how he does when he has some temping sticks all around him.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

What about those lights, are they really as dope as everybody is saying? I would love to know what the par rating is like at the bottom of that tank. Let me know how your temp runs too!
Old 12/13/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

I dont have anything to measure PAR but I can tell you they are really bright. I may go pick up some frags this weekend that will be the true test. Yeah they are awesome. I dont know what your asking about the temp but I will try and answer it as best I can. M water temp is stays around 77 (heaters set there). The lights deliver no heat to the water. You can actually touch the glass shield that is about 1/4 inch away from the glass and its not even warm. Where the outward blowing fans are there is a little heat but it blows away from the tank. The hottest the screen on the front has ever displayed as the internal fixture temp is 36 celcius. I know, I live in America and dont know what to relate celcius to at all but I dont mind converting it. Its just looks so much more scientific with celcius on there all the time. Everyone who sees it always asks about the celcius. Its 96.8 F by the way.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

looks GREAT!
i love the 120, thats such a great size. i would if i had the room for one

keep up the updates and pics
Old 12/13/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

high school congregation or somethin here. im in. 16

rebuilt a 60 cube after my 125 cracked. Looks good... getting to start fresh is always fun, even after the disaster-

keep us posted.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Great set-up! Keep the updates coming!
Old 12/16/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

what kind of calcium reactor do you have?