Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Everything is Up and Running Now What?

I bought a used 150. It is all setup and running. Unfortunately there were problems with setting it up so the lr stayed in boxes for 2 days just moist in newspapers. Then I had the rock in heated circulated garbage pails for three additional days. Will the rock be ok? How long does a tank generally take to cycle? I plan on keeping the normal fish that most people keep, i.e tang ,trigger, puffer, etc. Should I get a cleanup crew? (Snails, crabs, etc)I was thinking of getting a small school of green chromis initially to get some bio-load built up. Is this a good idea? Also what should be my first fish if I don't get the chromis? I want an eel and I think thet would be the hardiest fish to get as the first fish. I think I want to go with a zebra considering that there pretty docile. Sorry for being long winded, just one more question. Should I get a uv? If so which one would you recommend? Thanks for any inut!!!!!!!!! Tim
Old 12/08/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

full cycle from scratch about 4-5 weeks
Old 12/08/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

I would go with some damsels if you want to see some movement,but the live rock will kick start the bio filter from all of the stuff that dies off from the ocean.Have good skimmer going to help with the cycling with the live rock.Did you use ro/di water to fill it up?That is a trick to avoid the nasty algae blooms or at least reduce them in a new tank.Just be paitent I would give it 6 months to a year befor I put any expensive fish in it.For damsels,chromis are not as hardy as others for a new tank,try yellow tail damsels,and I would wait at least 2 months befor adding anything else besides damsels.Just my opinion,hope this helps, Chris
Old 12/08/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes I used ro di. I know I have to wait to put a expensive fish in but 6 months, I don't think I can wait that long. I know to take it slow. I'm afraid to put in yellow tails, devils, or dominoes bc of the aggression. Thanks Tim
Old 12/08/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

If you do put them in sooner just buy hardy fish like wrasses first.Yes you are right those damsels do get aggresssive but the yellow tails stay small were as the dominos get very big.I like the chromis's to but even in an established tank I seem to lose at least half of them I buy.GoodLuck Chris
Old 12/09/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

I have also found that the damsels are beneficial in a aggressive tank as they clean up after the messy eaters. I had three in with a large Volitan for a long time. Two got picked off prior to a move (all the rock had already been removed, so no where to hide) The one remaining blue damsel has never been bothered.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking od doing a zebra maoray and a few yellow tail damsels and then wait 6-8 weeks. Do yout think this would be acceptable or risky? Did you leave your lights off while you were cycling? I have people getting a lion as there first fish and then getting a few yellow tails to clean after them as you said earlier. Seems risky to get a lion as the first fish. They all seem risky , LOL! Thanks for any input. Tim
Old 12/09/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Oh by the way I don't know if I mentioned this but the tank was up and running for 2 years before i broke it down and set it up at my place. Thanks Tim
Old 12/10/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

I would go ahead and add some damsels and wait on adding the zebra eel for a bit. I had two zebras that were both over 3 feet and i transfered them to my 240 gallon after i converted it over to salt water and they both died. I had the 240 cycled and i guess when i transfered everyhting over to it went trough a mini cycle and i lost both of them. Eels are very sensitive to water quality and are good indicators of when something is wrong.