Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Things NOT to DIY

i have seen some diy advice requests on here that basically get shot down right from the get go...

so im curious what all should not be done as diy.

the thing that got me on this idea was reflectors..

so thats my contribution...

fluorescent Reflectors, dont do it, unless you can focus all the bends perfectly.

what else?
Old 12/07/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

I think this is a bad question. It really all depends on an individuals knowledge and general mechanical ability. If you don't know anything about electricity. Please do not try to rewire you're retro MH/t5 combo. But for some others this would a 5 minute job.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Don't DIY anything that you can make your friends do with you
Old 12/08/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

it comes down to cost over benefit and efficiency thing...

loads of money, time and research has gone into reflectors, media reactors, and various other items, that are just cheaper and light years beyond DIY efficiency...that retail for little more then you would spend DIY'ing...and those are the items one should not attempt...it isnt because you cant bend metal or glue acrylic...it is just cheaper and more effective/ efficient to buy the products...now if you need a phosban reacotr to hold 12 gallons of water and five pounds of media then yeah you haev to build one yourself..

if you can wire and are comfortable doing your own cap and coil then you do...because an assembled one is three times more expensive..

cast acrylic and needle wheel pumps are easy and cheap to come by, and if you comfortable glueing them then go ahead and make a skimmer that will suit your desired needs...but you dont even bother wasting the time and energy to build the becket you just buy it..
Old 12/08/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Don't DIY: pumps (besides mods), light bulbs, ballasts, controllers (unless you are a huge badass). Don't manufacture chemicals for two-part dosing solution (though go ahead and make the two-part, it's easy). Don't try to engineer you fish from organic chemicals, don't try to synthesize ultrapure water for topoffs by combusting H2 and O2. I wouldn't recommend growing your own oak for woodwork, not even reefers are that patient

Definitely about a million things you should DIY, though.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:28 AM

Don't DIY a salt mix
Old 12/08/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

ROFLMAO, I guess you just got shot again! IMO the DIY police are over paid and over staffed.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

lol
Old 12/08/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

diy police would just love to arrest me!!!!
i can fabricate just about anything.
and one of my favorite design rules is
"why build one when you can have 2 at twice the price".
i guess some people are afraid to build stuff. and to me that is half the fun!
Old 12/08/2007, 12:22 PM
Delaware Reef Club

I have built many an item and had tons of fun figuring out how to do it. I have bought tons of equiptment and thought I can make this better and cheaper. Entertain the mind, DIY

Although I wouldn't do reflectors either.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

no DIY reefs in your daily driver car
Old 12/08/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Don't be afraid to DIY anything. DIY is half the fun in the hobby for me. In the beginning, everything is DIY. How do you think all those fancy skimmers were designed. There might have been a little math involved but someone built a prototype, just like you would, and tested it out. The only consequence of DIY is that you might end up spending more money building your own than buying off the shelf. As long as you enjoy the design and construction you just have to write the money off as entertainment.

As far as building reflectors, don't be afraid. Reflecting light isn't rocket science. Just copy whatever style you like and build it.
Old 12/08/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I would like to think that by building your own stuff that it would give you a much better understanding of how your equipment works. That way if something goes wrong you know how to fix it.

Its fun even when it dosn't work out.

I have an old 3100 Rio that the impeller is shot on, so I'm working on a mod to place an prop on it.

Just having fun

Buy a man a fish tank and he will drain your bank account!
Old 12/08/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

isnt pretty much eveything we know today, somebodys personal DIY shared with the rest of us...
Old 12/08/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

I know that DIY chillers aren't very efficient or cost effective. That being said as chrismunn said somebody has to do it first for the rest of us to benefit.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:14 PM
See if you can pingaso it

condoms..... it just doesn't work
Old 12/08/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I agree with DIY anything you feel up to. I might soon try a DIY reflector for T5 lamps.

Some things we have today were made from mistakes even, such as Ivory soap. It is suggested "...that a worker in 1879 accidentally left the soap mixing machine operating during lunch, resulting in an unusually frothy mixture. The soap was shipped and soon after the company began receiving requests for more "floating soap."" - Ivory http://www.ivory.com/PureFun_History.htm

Although soap doesn't compare to metal halide lighting systems, or a phosban reactor, but I think it helped make the general point.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

LMAO! jman77
That just ain't right!!!!
Old 12/09/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

It's generally not worth it to DIY your own glass.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Don't even suggest the dorm room refrigerator chiller.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

Hey, it could possibly work on a 1g pico tank
Old 12/09/2007, 03:55 AM
El Jefe de WRS

DIY heater/controller? That could get a bit hairy. I suppose not too bad... but WHY!?!?

I wouldnt DIY acrylic sheet or pipe... just not worth it.

You could DIY an actual pump from the ground up if you knew enough about motor/pump dynamics and had the right equipment... not that difficult really... possibly dangerous if you dont watch out, but not too difficult... the hardest part would be finding the right magnet. Everything else could be machined/coated/thermalformed, etc. I am actually considering this since I cant seem to find many companies in the US that will make a 36v DC submersable 5000rpm motor for a 2000lph needlewheel pump. I did find a chinese pump that looks promising now that I have it in my hands... actually pretty well made as well... just have to finish the custom volute for it.

I wouldnt DIY a light bulb... thats dangerous!

I wouldnt DIY saltwater either...lol... thats the best.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

DIY sump/ice cream maker? Pod flavored icecream anyone?
Old 12/09/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

thrillreefer, that's hilarious!

I certainly agree that most other things can be done yourself depending on your particular expertise. I'd say there are some things that the "average" person probably shouldn't do, unless they're just doing it for the experience. I think chillers were mentioned. I'd say protein skimmer as well if you want really good quality, but I'm sure plenty would disagree with me there. A DIY controller generally requires about a 50 lb brain. DIY LED lighting has been brought up many times, but that's definitely one I wouldn't try. I definitely don't see anything wrong with trying most things, even if you fail. Just do some research, ask questions, and decide for yourself whether or not you feel up to the challenge.

-Mike C.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:05 AM
15 & Over Club

As long as provisions for accidents, overflows, GFCI tripping, emergency refabrication/repairs to keep the system up and running and you and any person(s) that would be around your reef frankenstien support system creations were taken into account pretty much anything is DYI. Also taking into consideration your abilities vs your ability to roll with the success and failure of your various creations would be the only concerns with DIY.

Besides, for example build a 5 foot PVC venturi skimmer that actually works and can handle a couple hundred gallon system for under $70 excluding pump and you'll be the envy of the guy who paid $450 for theirs and does just as well. Unless you have to have it look like $450 masterpeice. It moves food and fish waste out of your water column...how damn pretty does it need to be?

The DYI condom comment was stellar btw.