Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

Hey Koral, can i just keep adding mesh until it starts to rub on the volute cover? It looks like 2 layers is about all I'm going to get on there once I chop off these impellers

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/07/2007, 01:07 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

i've had better luck with leaving the fishing line loose enough to keep the enkamat "fluffy", as opposed to tightening it down tight.

i would leave the entire bottom layer of needles on the needlewheel, and try first with one "fluffy" layer, then mabye 2 layers tied tighter and trimmed to see what will work better.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:17 PM
One Good Friend

I would definately leave the bottom layer on. I'm thinking two layers tight is going to work the best. When i leave it on lose, i always run into problems down the road, having to redo it every month or so or having to worry about it coming lose and burning up is always in the back of my mind. But if you have an air meter it would be cool to see how each performs.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Ok, 1 more question before I start cutting enkamat, should I only make it the diameter of the impeller blades or should I make it bigger to where it almost touches the housing wall?

Old 12/07/2007, 01:32 PM
One Good Friend

I would make it pretty much in line with your impeller wheel. Anymore it will get to the walls. If its on loose there is a better chance as it spins it will get thinner and get wider and touch. Another reason i like the enkamat tight.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Cool.. I'll do that then. Also, just an FYI. The smallest diameter air hole on this thing is 1/8 already, the airline tubing I bought from petsmart is 3/16 ID, so I think if we go just a tad bigger than the 1/8 Id thats there and go 3/16 ID like regular airline tubing, that might be just enough increase...???

Old 12/07/2007, 01:47 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

o.k. tru dat...

it seems i get better performance with the fluffy, lightly tied mesh, but yes, it does come loose easier this way (although i never had any issues with my deltec turbo 1250, and it was fairly loose),
with pumps that have smaller volutes, it will interfear and catch on the volute more.

but for instance, the euroreef eheim nw 1262's at work, i had to redo them with zipties because the pump is so damn strong, and even then, the impellar manages to grind down the zipties after 9 months or so. i might try some uber strength fishing line though, because i feel the impellars move more water when mesh is ziptied on as opposed to tied down w/ fishing line
Old 12/07/2007, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

I feel like a total dumby trying to tie fishing line onto this impeller... I can't get it!

Old 12/07/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Its a pain to tie that stuff for sure. I think you have to do it the fisherman style knots

Quote:
I first tied a fishermen's knot (like tying a fishing hook) and glued the knot using super glue gel. I weaved in and out of the holes all the way around the disk, tied off the knot and used super glue.
well your not weaving through holes but more like needles.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

of course, I just realized that my airflow meter is being delivered by UPS, and it says out for delivery, so it should be here sometime in the next week.. my local guys are so slow! Kidding, sometime today, so I should be able to take readings on each mod step. I'm doing a loosish 1 layer first, then I"ll do 2 tight layers, then I'll bore the air hole out and use 3/16 hose barbs and what not, getting an extra 1/16" for air movement. Good thing is, I'll be able to use the same airline, it should stretch to fit the new fittings.

Old 12/07/2007, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

yeah, I did 3 or 4 fisherman knots on it. I'm going to wait until my flow meter gets here before I do anything more.

Old 12/07/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

I'd put some super glue on it too just to make sure it's not going anywhere. I wonder would 3 layers be too much and is it possible?? I'll give this a try when I see a step by step guide. How many lbs is your fishing line?
Old 12/07/2007, 02:28 PM
One Good Friend

I would be super surprised if you can get 3 layers on without having huge startup problems. Dzeadow, do you have a hose adapter hookup ready for your air meter as you'll need one to hook it up to your venturi line.......you don't expect them to give you any do you! lol Another trip to lowe's!
Old 12/07/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

if dzeadow pulled off 3 would it be way too much?

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I recently got a flow meter device by Dwyer. I ran up to Home Depot today to find the part(s) necessary to hook it up to the venturi tubing of my skimmer.

Each fitting was carefully wrapped with teflon tape, and then screwed into the back of the flow meter.

Each of my Sedra 5000 pumps with the mesh mod are pulling in 8 LPM, rather than the higher number I was expecting. I'll swap out the mesh with the normal impellars from Euro-reef and see what kind of numbers I get and update this thread.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:54 PM
One Good Friend

You actually only need the air meter and the a96, the other parts are worthless....and a bit of teflot tape if you want
Old 12/07/2007, 02:57 PM
One Good Friend

Old 12/07/2007, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Oh.. I'm PO'ed! It's funny that you sent this message also. This is totally my fault. It's blowing like crazy out and cold, so it's one of those days you just don't want to go outside. I got the package right before I walked out the door, my parents were here and picking me up for lunch. I didn't think about opening the box up until I had already jumped in the truck and was half way gone. So I get home, open the box, see that it's got no fittings and that you left a message about it while I was gone... salt in the wound! It's a good thing the HD is just a hop skip and jump from my house.. ok, out the door again, be back in a few

Old 12/07/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

sorry in a rush before work so i cant read your posts.. the micro bubbles have ceased, skimmer has been pulling out *slightly* murky water for about 5 hours now. not using the water level adjustor as you can only increase water level. i need it decreased. ill get some pics up when i get home.

oh btw sold on ebay by seller 1guppy1 who sells all the new reef octopus gear also, so most probably an older model. pretty sure it has the same pump though
Old 12/07/2007, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Ok, 1st update. 3 fittings are needed for this air meter. The meter itself is threaded for 1/8" piping, and all hose barbed fittings that I could see are threaded for 1/4", so the reducer coupling is needed also.

Stock Octo: I'll take a picture later after I've messed around some more, but Luke will be happy w/ this one. The first bar on the meter is at 5, and the ball just fluttered on the bottom. If it got to 3scfm I'd be amazed. Now off to test the mesh wheel.

Old 12/07/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Awsome hope to see how much the resun pulls, btw hows your siphon going? any breaks?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lemmiwinks
sorry in a rush before work so i cant read your posts.. the micro bubbles have ceased, skimmer has been pulling out *slightly* murky water for about 5 hours now. not using the water level adjustor as you can only increase water level. i need it decreased. ill get some pics up when i get home.

oh btw sold on ebay by seller 1guppy1 who sells all the new reef octopus gear also, so most probably an older model. pretty sure it has the same pump though
If you get a chance think you can get some close up shots of the unit? The micros will go away eventaully, give it about a week, you might still have some but its not like the start. You can later experiment by making a a bubble trap or wrap a sponge around the outlet.

I just noticed something all most all octopus skimmers require us to do some modding to make them skim like mad lol just like the big in sump ones.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:20 PM
One Good Friend

D, you have the black knob fully open right ; ) And i was afraid it wouldn't even show anything.....lol
Old 12/07/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I'm lost with that dwyer thing is 5-5scfm? I don't own one so I have no idea what the numbers stand for. And if its 5scfm why go down to 3scfm?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:31 PM
One Good Friend

Fish, its from 0-50scfh at 5scfh intervals. I said it would pry show under the 5scfh around 3 at most. Since the octo 2000 pulls 5scfh at 500gph, just figured it would be half or under. I think modded you may be able to get around 5.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

What black nob? I had it hooked directly from the venturi fitting on the pump to the dwyer meter.

Update 2: 1 layer of mesh makes the thing float somewhere between..oh I'd say 3 and 5. It tops out at 5. So probably 4. That's probably 2 times the output.

Update 3: 2 layers of mesh makes it a strong 4-5ish. Now I'm going to try opening up the venturi to 3/16" vs the 1/8 that it is stock.