Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Reef Aquarium on Bird Rd.

Hey all. Just wondering if any of you guys shop or used to shop at Reef Aquarium on Bird Rd across from Exotic Aquariums in Miami. I helped build the new(current) store and used to be the manager at both locations for about a year and a half. I left there a couple of years back. I'm tall and had long black hair and was there 24/7/365. My name is Salman and if any of you know or knew me, I'm just sayin hello. Happy reefing!
Old 12/06/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Did you dive a VW?
Old 12/06/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Yup a 1992 SLC Corrado!!
Old 12/06/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

I remember, where have you been? How is your tank?
Old 12/06/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

yea i go there quite often, i never went to theoldone though , i dont buy corals there because he overprices like crazy, 75 bucks for one yuma is ridiculous
Old 12/07/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

I have been good. Finished school and sold my old tanks. I am in the process of setting up a 180-200 now. Currently building the fuge(75 gal) and lights (t5/hqi).
Old 12/07/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

The coral prices are ridiculous, they have always been, the selection never varies either. He has no idea the "real" value of corals. He goes with what he hears is the new trend. The owner (Henry) is very shady, he also uses one persons money to finance the previous customer's tanks. He keeps it going like transfering a balance from one credit card to another to avoid the interest charges. Also, he does not have the depth of knowledge one should have as the owner of an Aquarium store. I would teach him daily. The fish there also always have ich or some kind of disease. I have not been back since I worked there. I don't recommend going there.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:56 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
I stopped in there once before on my "Tour de Bird Rd." and they didn't really have much, or at least nothing to strike my fancy. Mostly just a bunch of guys who knew eachother hanging around the front of the store. Hanging out is cool and all, but the store was just eh.

It is definitely a blessing though to be able to complain that this store on bird was not a success, when there are SO many other nice stores in that area and down south in general. Exotic Aquariums is great, across the street, and then east on bird there's another store that was really nice, nice guy running it (at least he seemed nice) and then all the other stores in the area that I have or have not hit.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

On Bird there is Exotic Aquariums(recommend), Strictly Fish(recommend), Aquarium Art(ok), Amazing Aquariums(eh), Neptunes Aquariums(ok), and there was one on 107th that closed a while back.
My Fav's in Miami are Exotic Aquariums( I have known Frank for 15 years, and Karen for 10), Striclty Fish, and Aquarium Concepts in Kendall. There are a bunch, but over the years the quality and service from those 3 ( aside from Reef Aquarium when I was there, obviously, lol) have been exceptional.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOtherReefer
The coral prices are ridiculous, they have always been, the selection never varies either. He has no idea the "real" value of corals. He goes with what he hears is the new trend. The owner (Henry) is very shady, he also uses one persons money to finance the previous customer's tanks. He keeps it going like transfering a balance from one credit card to another to avoid the interest charges. Also, he does not have the depth of knowledge one should have as the owner of an Aquarium store. I would teach him daily. The fish there also always have ich or some kind of disease. I have not been back since I worked there. I don't recommend going there.
please i am not a mod, but we should refrain from statements which are personal and negative in nature on the FMAS forum. Several club members are working to get lfs owners as sponsors for the frag swap, and i just feel it is contradictory for FMAS to allow it. I could be wrong. (maybe the vendor forum, Private messages, emails, what ever but IMHO not here.)
I didn't write this to upset you, i am starting to get involved with the club and i am just watching out for it, that is all, nothing personal.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

ive gotten a few zoa frags there, but everything else seems to be overpriced. we're not allowed to say that a store overprices their corals???
Old 12/07/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

db_triggerfish I meant no offense to anyone. I am just looking out for fellow enthusiats. I am not bashing the store. I built the store. I built both 220 coral tanks, set up the 6 125's in the middle that have fish. I did all the plumbing and setup all the UV's, skimmers, pumps, etc... I was a regular at All Seas wholesaler and pretty much ran the store alone. I would love nothing more than to send people there to see the store and my tanks. Unfortunately I know how the owner operates and as a warning to all he can not be trusted. I left the store because he owed me over $5,000 dollars of pay that I never recieved. I pretty much worked 24/7 for 3 months for free. I am not seeking revenge or anything of that nature. I am trying to let all others know what to expect. This is a very expensive hobby and a little bit of wrong information or sick corals/fish can be devastating to a home aquarium. I was there almost 2 years and anyone that knows me will tell you how curteous, kind, informative, and helpful I was. The only reason that store is still open is because of me. I understand where you are coming from and I am not upset so don't worry. I personally know about 7 owners of LFS and if you are looking for frags I can help you out to get to know the owners. I am just giving a warning to everyone to be careful and remember that keeping reefs is a hobby, but selling aquarium goods is a business and $$$$$$ counts more to some people than a healthy customer's tank. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

We all have our good and bad experiences, but this is not the forum to bash anyone or air out your personal business.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:40 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
db_triggerfish I meant no offense to anyone. I am just looking out for fellow enthusiats. I am not bashing the store. I built the store. I built both 220 coral tanks, set up the 6 125's in the middle that have fish. I did all the plumbing and setup all the UV's, skimmers, pumps, etc... I was a regular at All Seas wholesaler and pretty much ran the store alone. I would love nothing more than to send people there to see the store and my tanks. Unfortunately I know how the owner operates and as a warning to all he can not be trusted. I left the store because he owed me over $5,000 dollars of pay that I never recieved. I pretty much worked 24/7 for 3 months for free. I am not seeking revenge or anything of that nature. I am trying to let all others know what to expect. This is a very expensive hobby and a little bit of wrong information or sick corals/fish can be devastating to a home aquarium. I was there almost 2 years and anyone that knows me will tell you how curteous, kind, informative, and helpful I was. The only reason that store is still open is because of me. I understand where you are coming from and I am not upset so don't worry. I personally know about 7 owners of LFS and if you are looking for frags I can help you out to get to know the owners. I am just giving a warning to everyone to be careful and remember that keeping reefs is a hobby, but selling aquarium goods is a business and $$$$$$ counts more to some people than a healthy customer's tank. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I will say no more, just trying to help out!! Cheers!!
Old 12/07/2007, 03:59 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
cheers~!
` FMAS1955.ORG`
Old 12/08/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Closely looking at your thread it looks more and more like you have a personal grudge with the owner "Henry" over something that must of hapend while you worked there. Also seems like youre facts are coming from 2 or 3 years ago when you claim you worked there and not more recent facs, as a matter of fact ive seen recent post on this site about this certain store which are the complete opposite of this post and their comments are positive about the store and the store owner. Personaly speaking i did not find him to be a "shady" person as you so called him, i actualy thought he was a nice person who unlike any of the other stores owners on Bird road, he finances tanks for free. I suggest next time you have a personal grudge against a specific owner you go and take care of it with him instead of bashing out a store on a forum designed for other purposes.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:18 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Percula109
Closely looking at your thread it looks more and more like you have a personal grudge with the owner "Henry" over something that must of hapend while you worked there. Also seems like youre facts are coming from 2 or 3 years ago when you claim you worked there and not more recent facs, as a matter of fact ive seen recent post on this site about this certain store which are the complete opposite of this post and their comments are positive about the store and the store owner. Personaly speaking i did not find him to be a "shady" person as you so called him, i actualy thought he was a nice person who unlike any of the other stores owners on Bird road, he finances tanks for free. I suggest next time you have a personal grudge against a specific owner you go and take care of it with him instead of bashing out a store on a forum designed for other purposes.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

what's with all the thumbs down?
Old 12/08/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

My brother and I have been bying fish and corals from Reef Aquariums since about 1 year 1/2 ago when my brother introduced. I have not had any problems there..

Actually learned to cycle my tank there which I still have and is running nice. Thanks to Henry your appreciated. Even though its far drive from home I still go and check it out..

Now I'm saving some $ to get a custom tank made there at the shop. Recommended.
Old 12/08/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shallow_blue305
My brother and I have been bying fish and corals from Reef Aquariums since about 1 year 1/2 ago when my brother introduced. I have not had any problems there..

Actually learned to cycle my tank there which I still have and is running nice. Thanks to Henry your appreciated. Even though its far drive from home I still go and check it out..

Now I'm saving some $ to get a custom tank made there at the shop. Recommended.

lol interesting first post. how long have you been working there?
Old 12/10/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

he doesn't work there anymore. but when he did, he was always high. I dont know what the deal is but just like that other guy mentioned, henry's a nice guy. he finances everything in his store with no interest, makes some really nice custom tanks, and has a great selection of corals. one thing is warning people when stores screw you over, but bashing is'nt cool. this thread shouldnt have been allowed in the first place.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
This thread should had died with this last post, we agree that is a personal matter and should not be aired out here.
Why beat a dead horse, people here know better than to judge a store based on one person's bad experience.
Old 12/10/2007, 05:52 PM
tiger eel

Quote:
I really like this guy " I am not bashing the store" thanks god u not hahahahahah dude is not nice talk about people like that wen they can`t defend they self, a lo cubano de LEON PA MONO y el mono con las manos amarradas hahahah dude I know the real history and u should mention MOISES CAVAS u know what I min,about the corals prices yes he got some overprice corals and some to sheep!!!Henry is agreat guy thanks to him I got my 375g tank cheaper than anywhere here in Miami and trust me I call every store in Miami he let people that he knows take thing from the store and pay latter who that`s that here in Miami???