Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Auto top off: resevoir w/pump vs solenoid on RO/DI

I am installing a basement sump and can run pipe to a RO/DI unit close the sump.

What are the pros and cons of either type of topoff?

The way I see it is the resevoir system needs to be manually refilled whereas the direct RO/DI does not.

Dave
Old 12/07/2007, 08:36 AM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Solenoid on RO/DI is the way to go. I have used this method for over a year now and would never do anything else. Its just so darn convenient not ever having to worry about topping off.

The key word for this style of ATO is "REDUNDANCY"

- Multiple float switches
- Timers
- redundant solenoids on input of RO unit
Old 12/07/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

I agree with MeuserReef! Solenoid controlled by a timer tied to a float switch. Redundancy is KEY. Do you work in a data center Meuser?
Old 12/07/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

As stated - Redundancy...
I use RO/DI with a solenoid into a JBJ ATO that is plumbed into my sump through a Kent float. The ATO uses two floats (high and low) with a timer, and if that some how continues to run (doesn't time out) the float will mechanically stop the flow also.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I was planning on high and low float switches and a single solenoid before the RO/DI.

I may be missing something but what is the function of the timer and which timer do you use.

Dave
Old 12/07/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

The timer is built into the JBJ ATO, the solenoid will only stay energized for so long before it times out. I know that it normally takes about two min. for my sup to fill once the low switch is triggered (I have my floats very close together) so I set my timer to about four min. Even if the high switch never triggers the timer will still shut off the water flow. Then if that malfunctions the Kent float should stop the flow.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

This is very similar to what I will be doing but I will be using the reefwerks holding tank controller instead of the JBJ unit. Comes complete with 2 float switches and a solenoid. My timer will be on my profilux controller. My wife and I each flooded the ato container in the past and I don't want that to happen again.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:34 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by RicGio
Do you work in a data center Meuser?
No. Actually I work at a food distribution warehouse where I manage the facility infrastructure, including IS/IT systems. I deal ALOT with redundant systems. Everything from the R404 Deep Freeze Refigeration units that keep our freezer @ -5 degrees to the VMWare Virtual Server Hosts that run our File/Print/Backup servers all have redundancy built in. It really helps one sleep at night

Here is a crude sketch of how my system is setup.

The timer is your protection should the float switch(es) fail.

Last edited by MeuserReef; 12/07/2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I simply have my RO unit tied to a automatic horse water bucket float valve I picked up at tractor supply. Using the auto-shut valve I got from Coralife to cut of the water supply when the float closes. Its been in use for two months and not a single problem and it only cost me $20 and has no metal or electronic parts, I'm happy with it.
Old 12/07/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

I use the float and solenoid but fill my reservoir. I then use a peristaltic pump to pull water from the reservoir and push it through a Kalk reactor on the way to the sump.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:10 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pbrown3701
I use the float and solenoid but fill my reservoir. I then use a peristaltic pump to pull water from the reservoir and push it through a Kalk reactor on the way to the sump.
I just installed my DIY Kalk reactor in-line between the RO unit and the sump.

Its been working quite well for me in this configuration. I was forced to engineer around not having room for a fresh water holding reservoir, but looking back, I think I would have done this regardless (and will on future setups)

**Note**

I still plan on putting a Coralife manual float valve on the supply line in my sump. Since my RO has an Auto Shut-Off valve, I would be protected in the event that both solenoids became stuck in the open position.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MeuserReef

I still plan on putting a Coralife manual float valve on the supply line in my sump. Since my RO has an Auto Shut-Off valve, I would be protected in the event that both solenoids became stuck in the open position.
I don't recommend the coralife valve. I bought one and it would never seal and contained no rubber or anything that remotely resembled a seal. I really would recommend getting a high quality float valve from somewhere like tractor supply. Like the one I use:

Float Valve
Old 12/08/2007, 07:52 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Thanks Saboral. The unit that I have has a rubber stopper that presses pertty tightly into the hole where the water comes out of it. I have never actually used it so it could be a piece of crap like the one you used.

In looking at the valve in the link you provided, does the valve have a cover (black part in picture) over the actual valve (red in picture)? I hope so because the metal on the balck plastic part would not be good in a saltwater environment.