Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 08:56 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Part of the ventilation system, these fans blow inward, an exhaust fan is mounted on top and will vent outside the house in the summer.

Last edited by petedoc; 12/05/2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:59 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

These are the removable doors, held in place with simple magnetic latch's. I really like this option, it is much more practical than hinges and allows easy access.

Last edited by petedoc; 12/05/2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

can you explain those magnets I been looking for something like that since my stand opens fully infront
Old 12/05/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

great looking tank. Sorry to here about the fish loss. I have gone through more large angels then I can count or that I will let my wife know. Don't give up and keep up the great work. I would love to here more about the magnets as well
Old 12/05/2007, 11:50 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Tanya, the magnets are from Home Depot and they work great. They are simple cabinet magnets, for door closure. The stand is steel if that helps explain their function. I can get the doors totally out of the way and I don't have to mess with hinges. The Chrysurus Angels were a great loss. I have otherwise had good luck with angels overall. Check out my avatar and my 135 gal tank. It has adult Emporer, Majestic, and Coral Beauty Angels all happily together. I am hoping start over with a couple of juvenile Chrysurus Angels and possible a Personifer or Anularis Angel in the 270 gal tank.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:11 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

I must admit that I am amazed at the amount of heat coming out of the vent in the top of the canopy now that it is enclosed. Just opening the front door creates a heat wave, but the top of the canopy, above the MH lights, is just warm to touch.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:08 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

I am looing forward to the arrival via FedEx of my new Trigger. I have been looking for a Sargassum Trigger for a long time and found one online at That Pet Place.com. They are reef safe and very cool looking. Hope to have pics soon. Anyone else have one?
Old 12/07/2007, 08:38 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

My new Sargussum Trigger arrived today and it's a beauty! It has been hiding in the rockwork since arrival, but it looked great in the box!
Old 12/07/2007, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

any pics of the trigger fish? btw great looking tank! how are the angels going? any transformation happening much yet after that picture u posted?

>>Click The Red House To See My Solana 34 Gal All In one Build<<
Old 12/08/2007, 12:29 AM
Assistant to the Kahuna

The trigger is being quite shy, but looks great at least what I can see. They are one of the best looking reef safe triggers. The Emporer Angel is an adult now and good sized, about 6". I should get an updated photo posted. I am still looking for a couple of Chrysurus Angels. There were quite a few available about six months ago but few lately. Most of the currently available Chrysurus Angels are small adults. They seem to come in seasonal shipments.
Old 12/08/2007, 08:44 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

New Sargussum Trigger!

Received yesterday from That Fish Place.com. I had been looking for one of these for a long time. Very cool looking fish and quite healthy.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Pete,

Where did you get your tank from? I am going to finsh my basement after the first of the year and the plan is to put an in wall 270 in. Same dimensions as yours. How is the quality of the tank? It looks beautiful and you have one nice fish list going! Keep up the good work!
Old 12/08/2007, 11:49 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Monti, Thanks for the complement, the fish list has evolved over the last five years and my goal is reef capable fish that are interesting and/or beautiful. The tank came from an Ebay manufacturer that is no longer in business. The quality is excellent, but if I needed one today I would recommend James at Envision Acrylics. The size of the tank is ideal for what I need, eight feet long might be better, but I didn't have quite enough room.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

I have the same problem. I wanted to do mine 8 feet as well but I have to put it in between 2 columns in the basement. They are 80" apart so 6 feet it is. How do you like the 36" of depth. I have always wanted to do that. The aqua scaping possibilities are endless. Do you have any pics of the adult emporer? I cant wait to have a tank big enough to get one of those guys! Well I will be watching your thread. Keep up the good work.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:25 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

I really like the dimensions of the tank 6X3X2'. Any deeper than two feet makes working on it very difficult and three foot of width allows great room for aquascaping and for the fish to swim. I will post a couple of pics of the Angel later.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:21 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

The Emporer

Old 12/09/2007, 03:25 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Again

Old 12/09/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

First off I would like to say that your tank looks great!!

I have read your thread thru and had a few questions. The pond foam on the back - has it turned out like you thought it would and would u use it again? Do you have a picture of how it looks now after a few months?

The travertine on the bottom - just a standard tile or something special? I was thinking of trying this method out on my new 180 - keeping a dsb underneath in a 55 sump and keeping my above tank clean on the bottom.

The Emporer looks awesome btw!!!
Old 12/09/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

beautiful!
Old 12/09/2007, 11:00 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Meola, The Pond foam is great, I might have used less if I had known I was going to have a slab of Marcorock about, 15X20 to lay against the center back wall like I do. I will try to get a good pic to show the coraline encrustation and a few corals growing on it. The travertine is left over from our house build, it was used on the fireplace. I checked it out in the Chemistry forum and it is basically a fairly pure calcium compound. I have done pretty much what you are planning, there is a 65 gal refugium with DSB and a 50 gal sump under the stand. I don't use ozone or UV, just a big skimmer.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:22 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Looks great! Love the new trigger! And the stand came out very nice too.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:06 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Bax, Thanks for the complement. My next project is to get my calcium reactor on line. I have had this thing for about four years and have been using Kalk and a simple kalkreactor with both systems while I avoid the complexity of calcium reactors. I am afraid that it is time to add the dang thing. This will be the most complex part of my reef systems. Seems like this will be required if I add the sps corals that planned on.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Calcium reactor may be one of my favorite "save time" devices I have on my tank.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Please let us know why you want the calcium reactor - because of water testing or your corals lacking something or because you just want one. I too have been pricing reactors and debating at least to make room in my plumbing now while at the beginning stages -

I need something to push me over the edge towards the purchase - lol