Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

lumenarc 3 150W vs 250W

I'm looking to light a tank that is 30lx24wx15h. I have a 30x24x8 lit by a 150W in a cheap DE reflector from hellolights. It works pretty good for my SPS, but I get shadow effects on the corals, so I'm looking at getting a lumenarc to help with this. I'm really partial to the phoenix at this point, so thats why I like DE.

Now I know that there are no 150W lumenarc reflectors, but is it possible to cut the bracket for the 250 and fit a 150 double ended bulb into this reflector? Is it worth the effort to do this, over getting the 150W lumen max 3 which is smaller? (14.5x14.5 vs 11x11)

I know I could do a 250W, and it is not out of the question, but here is my issues with the 250w. The main issue is heat. The tank will be open top, but I think the 250W will still produce a lot of heat which I don't really care to have. Also I don't feel there is really a need to waste the extra electricity, because I think a 150W should be adequate to light the tank.

Whats everyone's opinion on this?
Old 12/05/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

I looked at this exact issue myself. With a little ingenuity you could retrofit 150w de sockets into the Lumenarc III mini relectors, and if your tank is only 15" tall, the 150w should be fine.
(IMHO)
Old 12/05/2007, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

As a matter of fact, your thread motivated me and I retrofitted my 150w de sockets into my mini lumenarc this afternoon. Cost me $7 in parts at the hardware store.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any pictures of the mod?