Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

English Bulldogs

Hey I know this is way off topic for this forum but does anyone know anywhere to buy bulldog puppies that are not ridiculously expensive. My roommate is looking for one and I thought I would just throw it out there. Thanks.
-Cody
Old 12/03/2007, 11:01 PM
...this is only a test...

Re: English Bulldogs

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefDreamz
Hey I know this is way off topic for this forum but does anyone know anywhere to buy bulldog puppies that are not ridiculously expensive. My roommate is looking for one and I thought I would just throw it out there. Thanks.
-Cody
I'm sorry to say this, but STOP BUYING ANIMALS!!!!! Go to Lollypop Farm and rescue one from death. I know that everyone wants to get a fancy and specific bread, but if you look, you could find what you are looking for at the Humane Society.

"And don't forget to get your pet spade or nutered". -Bob Barker
Old 12/04/2007, 12:26 AM
Nature is my valium =)

While I agree for the most part with that I do take a bit of offense. A large majority of the dogs at shelters are mixed breeds from irresponsible pet owners allowing their dogs to breed. I purchased two purebred Japanese Akitas. I do not feel guilty for doing this. Responsible dog breeders play an important part in maintaining genetic diversity within a breed as is necessary. Irresponsible breeders create purebred diseases by not maintaining diversity. Hence the need for many bloodlines within one breed.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing a purebred dog that the breeder has determined a good "pet quality" dog and getting it fixed. There would be everything wrong with purchasing any dog and not getting it spayed/neutered unless it was deemed breeding quality. My female is fixed. My male is not. The male possesses all of the AKC standards for an akita and his bloodline may be needed at some point. In the meantime he is an indoor dog and is supervised when outside.

Responsible pet ownership would cut down on the number of shelter dogs better than doing away with people buying purebreds.

*Cody, When it comes to knowing where your roommate could find a reasonably priced English Bulldog I do not know of a place personally. I will say if they do not find a fairly priced "pet quality" dog from a breeder that I wholeheartedly suggest they check out the shelters and completely avoid the mall pet stores.

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 12/04/2007, 12:36 AM
...this is only a test...

Quote:
Originally posted by dreaminmel
While I agree for the most part with that I do take a bit of offense. A large majority of the dogs at shelters are mixed breeds from irresponsible pet owners allowing their dogs to breed. I purchased two purebred Japanese Akitas. I do not feel guilty for doing this. Responsible dog breeders play an important part in maintaining genetic diversity within a breed as is necessary. Irresponsible breeders create purebred diseases by not maintaining diversity. Hence the need for many bloodlines within one breed.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing a purebred dog that the breeder has determined a good "pet quality" dog and getting it fixed. There would be everything wrong with purchasing any dog and not getting it spayed/neutered unless it was deemed breeding quality. My female is fixed. My male is not. The male possesses all of the AKC standards for an akita and his bloodline may be needed at some point. In the meantime he is an indoor dog and is supervised when outside.

Responsible pet ownership would cut down on the number of shelter dogs better than doing away with people buying purebreds.

*Cody, When it comes to knowing where your roommate could find a reasonably priced English Bulldog I do not know of a place personally. I will say if they do not find a fairly priced "pet quality" dog from a breeder that I wholeheartedly suggest they check out the shelters and completely avoid the mall pet stores.
Mel, that was very well said. I was expressing my very limited view, but you made some very good points that make perfect sence. Obviously you have done your research. Thank you for your post
Old 12/04/2007, 12:43 AM
Nature is my valium =)

Smiles all around

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 12/04/2007, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I agree very well said, I saw a few good looking bulldogs at the erie county spca don't know if they are pure but look to be... He just won't get papers with the dog basically

Old 12/04/2007, 08:04 AM
Killer of Giants

Mel, that pic is too funny.

Cody, I'd say ya gotta be careful with those English Bulldogs. They have a history of lots of bad hereditary problems. Hip Dysplasia, cataracts, deafness, breathing problems, etc. I'd say your roomie should either get one from a reputable breeder or shop from a different breed. If you get one cheap you can count on lots of trips to the vet. And take it from me, routine vet visits for a healthy dog can put you in the poor house.

Rescue is another great way to go. If you're patient, you can get one that is a quality dog that needs a home. People have to get rid of good dogs all the time for reasons like, new babies, relocation, (sad, but even) death of dogs primary care taker.

I'll see if I can dig up a site for you. People will even link together to help deliver rescue animals to your area. It might be the way to go for you guys.
Old 12/04/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey thanks. Were totally willing to get a dog from a shelter. I'm just not sure how often bulldogs would end up in a shelter seeing that they usually go for $1500 to $2000. smm607 when were you at the spca? I checked their website and no bulldogs..pitbulls...but no bulldogs.
-Cody
Old 12/04/2007, 08:06 AM
Killer of Giants

Check it out!

http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/display.pl

....never woulda guessed that website's name.....
Old 12/04/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Capt. I'll let him know and we'll keep that in mind. I think if we cant find a good bulldog were going to go for a boxer. What do you all think about a boxer living the city life on Park Ave?
Old 12/04/2007, 08:17 AM
Killer of Giants

Hyper, Hyper, Hyper

One of my best friends has one. VERY sweet dog, but she needs constant structure and discipline. You gotta stay on top of those guys. Need alot of exercise. Also one of the best breeds to be around children.

I have one little hyper boston terrier. A spaz, but very loving. HATES anyone but his immediate family. I also have one Labrador Retriever from one of the AKC's top breeders, she's been #1 a few times (www.ridgeviewlabradors.com)........

Anyway, point is, when I was looking for my Lab the breeder recommended that for our lifestyle we might want what they refer to as a "mashed potato". He's really active and fun, but when it comes time to lounge, hits the floor and sleeps for hours.

I guess what I'm saying, for grad students, you might want to look for a "mashed potato".
Old 12/04/2007, 08:23 AM
Killer of Giants

Here's how to identify a "mashed potato"

"mashed potato" as puppy

"mashed potato" at 9 months

Old 12/04/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Awesome dog man. My roommate is actually my cousin and he's not a grad student he's a service rep for an engineering company and only works about 4 hours a day unless he has to travel which is rare. But even so I think your right and we do need a "mashed potato". My cousins first choice was a lab but I was afraid a lab would be a bad dog to have in a city. Growing up he had a lab and I had a golden (my parents still do) but we both lived in the country with huge yards, woods, and no traffic. I just never pictured a lab as a city type dog I picture them needing a huge yard to run around in all day. So we were trying to think of a cool dog that would do well in a city setting with a small yard.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

If nor not too set on getting a specific breed, check out Cornell. I work at the vet college here and we have free (or a small fee) dogs all the time. I know about a month ago we had some really cute research dogs that were given away. They were a few beagles and a couple of golden retrievers. Just something to keep in the back of your mind next time you might be looking.

Just to clarify research dog just means that they were used to learn something. The ones I'm talking about were used to teach students how to give a physical exam, draw blood, and give shots, things like that. Not that they have 2 heads or anything. Although that could make for an interesting pet as well.....
Old 12/04/2007, 10:12 AM
Killer of Giants

Yeah, when we were looking for a Lab our breeder asked us alot of questions. She breeds show dogs and master hunters. She said a puppy from a master hunter would probably NOT be a good choice for us. They're highly motivated and come to get you up to go do stuff. If not properly motivated, they'll get into mischief. She waited until she had a good pairing, then watched the puppies to see their tendencies. Eventually (took a few months. Just like reefkeeping, patience is key. Impulse leads to problems) she let us know she had some really loving mellow puppies.

Our Lab has been a dream. He spends the majority of his life laying on his side. We give him a pretty good play time everyday to keep him fit. And he plays intermittently with our other dog thru the day.

He just wants to be near us and please us. Anywhere we go in the house, you turn around and he's splattered all over the floor right behind you. NOTHING makes him happier (other than food) than to go and grab something and bring it to you. My front porch is covered with sticks to prove it. Great Dog!

Good Luck, keep us posted!
Old 12/04/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

If you want a couch potato get a Great Dane. Honest. They are great dogs for city living. Look into it.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I have always owned boxers. I will say in my opion they will be fine in the city if your willing to take them for long walks.They are so sweet and loyal you will love it.They do have alot of energy but any working dog you get will also.I do not really think they start to settle down till they are about 5 or so.The call is yours but I would not let living in the city be my factor for not getting one because most of ours have not really played alot outside they much prefered the walks...Good luck and post pics of whatever you get......scott
Old 12/04/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Our dogs

OK, well this is Kap's wife and this particular subject hit close to home for the hubby and I. At the beginning of the year we had to put down the best dog either of us has ever owned. Sparky was loving, loyal, intelligent, and could be a ball of energy or a 45lb lap dog. She was also a shelter dog.

Sparky R.I.P.

Around the time we had to say goodbye to Sparky we went to Lollypop and got our newest dog who is half husky, half black lab and ALL knucklehead but we love her.

Lindy when we first brought her home

Lindy last month

The reason this thread struck a nerve with me is because I am currently looking to get a purebred Boston Terrier. I have always loved the breed and have wanted one for the past 7 years. I see nothing wrong with wanting a purebred dog if you go to a responsible breeder, you're a responsible owner and you educate yourself about the breed. I am a bleeding heart and wish I could give all the animals at Lollypop a home but alas I cannot. But what I can do to help, is to be a responsible owner and not add to the population at Lollypop.

I would recommend checking out the local shelters first, you never know what you might find. Another good thing is to check out specific breed rescues. It is definitely good to check out the requirements for a specific breed and research, research, research. I hope your roommate can find his new "best friend".

-Kap's Wifey
Old 12/05/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

I walked by the wall here at Cornell today that has a lot of cats and dogs for sale/rescue. I saw one at the Tompkins County SPCA that says its an English Bulldog, very loving, a couple of years old. It might be worth looking into.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot I'll give them a call and maybe take a look
Old 12/06/2007, 03:09 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

I'd also like to add on the purebreed subject that oftentimes you are looking for something rather specific as far as temperment, attitude, activity level, intelligence etc. When you get a purebreed, you are really taking some variability out of the equation as well. I mean those who want collies, may like the temerment of a collie, which can be VASTLY different from a Collie Husky mix. Or a total Mutt, which may be less predictable.

BUT that being said, there are SOOO many wonderful dogs that are in shelters that go unwanted, that people that don't really have a preference, should ALWAYS go there first. I have always had purebreeds, but I'm relatively certain that my next dog will be a mixed breed, or shelter hound.