Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Sad News - Aquatic Reef

Just got this email. Sad to see these guys go.

It was our passion in aquatic life that created Aquatic Reef. Just over 4 years ago we decided to start this business and open our doors to the public. I can still feel the excitement. We began to meet such wonderful people. We offered our guidance and also learned from the experience of others. You all became our great and loyal customers and developed close friendships.

Unfortunately, the business demands are changing and we must adopt to the current business needs. One of the major changes, and perhaps the most difficult decision, that we have to make is to close our retail business at 737 S. 8th (Route 31) in West Dundee.

We are scheduled to close the doors at the end of this year. As of now we do not have any plans to re-open our store. However, there is a possibility of moving into the eRetail business. This will allow us to be more competitive in the business. But again, this is all dependent on the current demands. We are planning to keep our forum active as long as there is enough users to keep it alive and interesting. The site is located at: http://aquaticreef.myfreeforum.org

On a brighter note, we are offering unbeatable deals on livestock and dry goods that we have in stock. We are hoping to cleanup everything by this weekend. So please help us make this happen.

Lastly, we would like to thank everyone who helped and supported us throughout the last 4 years. As we close this store front, we now gain new friends. We wish you all good luck and Happy Holidays!

Best Regards,
Noel and Sherwin

Click on the little red house to see my parameters.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:40 AM
Frag-a-holic

Well that sucks. Man 2 in a month. 2 that I actually liked also. I guess great customer service and great prices doesn't keep you in business these days. I think the key is to set up shop in a rich area and try to rob everyone that walks through the door.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/05/2007, 01:43 AM
Tank Collector

That sucks.... AR was nice and close to me too.

Next bus tour is only going to have 2 stops if this keeps up...
Old 12/05/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

I hate to say it but just being great business people can't keep you in business these days. Retail is a rough business and I don't envy anyone in it. Aquatic Reef and Sharky's were two places that I intended to visit and never did because they were so far from me. I always heard good things about them. Everyone remember how fragile this business is next time you visit a local store and feel the need to ask them to match some internet price, or give you $10 off something, or ask them to replace some animal that died in your care. Remember, its always better to deal with someone at Ace Hardware than it is to even try and find someone at Menard's. Pretty soon these internet sales are going to find us all going to Menard's because there won't be any more Ace's around. (Metaphorically and literally)
Old 12/05/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Best of luck Noel and Sherwin.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

WOW!! Good Luck guys!!
Old 12/05/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosierpat
I hate to say it but just being great business people can't keep you in business these days. Retail is a rough business and I don't envy anyone in it. Aquatic Reef and Sharky's were two places that I intended to visit and never did because they were so far from me. I always heard good things about them. Everyone remember how fragile this business is next time you visit a local store and feel the need to ask them to match some internet price, or give you $10 off something, or ask them to replace some animal that died in your care. Remember, its always better to deal with someone at Ace Hardware than it is to even try and find someone at Menard's. Pretty soon these internet sales are going to find us all going to Menard's because there won't be any more Ace's around. (Metaphorically and literally)
well stated

the other thing about "good" prices is the fact that good prices mean that they are better than other stores around them. Lower prices lowers profit directly. Walmart has built their success on the fact that people are tightwads. Many stores stay afloat based on their services. Regular aquarium maintenance pays the bills on a weekly basis (much more reliable than sales or regular work hours). Service is also one thing that cannot be taken over by the internet and lost cost cutting. It also establishes your customer base... if you buy a coral from someone else and it dies then its dead but if you had gotten that coral from the same company who does your maintenance then its probably going to be replaced because of the relationship that has been built. I never made it to aquatic reef but have heard great things about them. They must have the relationship and customer service down, but sounds like they couldn't stay afloat with the prices needed to bring people in. Them mentioning turning to etail does not surprise me. I was browsing the sharkeys site and found a frag I had gotten for $5 at their closing sale on the internet for $45. The internet commands some premium prices when you aren't at one of the superstore style sites.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:56 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Damn! What a great place, too bad

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/05/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

This is a shame. I been out there twice since starting my tank back in August and I must say, Noel and Sherwin really taught me a lot. Even though it is nearly an hour drive each way, it was well worth it and I'll miss the personal experiences. I'll defiantly try to make 1 more trip before closing because AR demonstrated what customer service is all about.

Best of luck in your future plans Noel and Sherwin.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Good Luck Guys !!
Old 12/05/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

It bugs the hell out of me to see places that have/had good prices and good service go while other places on which i will not name but i'm sure many of you know them are still open.

Thanks for everything guys.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:53 AM
Frag-a-holic

It seems like the bigger ones can afford somehow to give crappy service.

Old 12/05/2007, 10:57 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

They should come near the city! The service is great! Really loved the store!
Old 12/05/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
It bugs the hell out of me to see places that have/had good prices and good service go while other places on which i will not name but i'm sure many of you know them are still open.

Thanks for everything guys.
It is supply and demand...I think the AR guys will have success in their future endeavours because they are savvy business men, they just happened to open a store when the landscape of the LFS is changing. With internet it really isnt profitable to have a storefront. I wish them all the best, and am sure they will do well.

I do have to take contention with calling out at least one store with higher prices. I buy from Old Town more often than any other store, not because I'm an idiot, but because time is money, and they are convenient and have quality stuff. From an economic standpoint, they cost more because their rent is higher, but they have more customers largely because of their location - they are the closest LFS to more people than probably any other store (i.e. the population density in the city is higher than elsewhere). I don't see any reason to knock these stores because they have created good business models.

I think DLC is more the blueprint for what the LFS will become - by lowering overhead and developing relationships they do well.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 12/05/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

uh oh, whats up? just had the initials for favorite not light lord corals removed...mods, this doesn't seem right, this thread is about an LFS, and I'm having the name of another LFS blocked...
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 12/05/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

This is just getting stupid now. Why are they blocking DLC?

Old 12/05/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Oh my god they took out ********* completely. Its a blocked word. There are far too many whiney people on here that complain about *********. All you are doing is causing more and more people to go and see him now to see what all the fuss is about.

Creative spelling isn't rewarded here. --beerguy

Old 12/05/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I dont think you are correct in stating that an LFS is changing.... LFS will continue to run the same as they always have.... the ones that were open for years are still open.... when people open a new business they always think they can charge less. There is a reason that LFS charges the prices they charge... it covers for the little costs that sneak up... like when you lose a large shipment or something to that effect. There are tons of people who think they should get into piranha importation bc they know people that can mail them for cheap. The first time that customs sits their shipment overnight in a warehouse and everything dies they go broke bc the money they were saving the customer had to come from somewhere... on the surface it appears to be profit but after looking over the business plan is money for time in need as well.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:22 AM
Frag-a-holic

It is ok, they block *removed* in PMs also.

Old 12/05/2007, 11:23 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

A couple of folks spoil it for the rest.

Thread closed.

Carlos

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."