Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Cazy water flow ideas, 100g

Okay, for anyone that know's me. I just can't leave it a lone. I currently have a 100G Tru Vue with a corner overflow. Running a 3/4inch sea swirl off a MAG 9.5 and 1 Hydor Koralia 4 in the opposite corner for extra flow, since I didn't like the dead spot's my sea swirl left.

Here's my next idea thought I thought I'd throw out here for review.

I recently picked up an other 3/4 Seaswirl and a MAG 5 pump. I was thinking of running a closed loop with the other seaswirl on the opposite side of the tank and run both at the same time. Do you think this will work well, bad, or just plan stupid? LOL. I would of course remove the Hydor at this point.

I also have a Quiteone 3000 pump I could use instead if the MAG 5 is to powerful.

Idea's? Tank has the following types of coral:

Large carpet anemone
Lot's of Zoo's
A few SPS
A few Plates
Some GSP
Some Shrooms
Pom Pom Xenia
Frog spawn torches

Lighting: 3 250 MH, 4 65w PC actinic
Old 12/04/2007, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

I just added a SEIO M2600 to my 125g and I love the extra flow it adds
Old 12/04/2007, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

I have good flow right now, but I don't like powerhead's in my tank. That's the issue. Plus now I have this extra Seaswirl :-)
Old 12/04/2007, 02:05 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Damm Dan, I tried that in my 100 and it blew ALL the sand to one side in a few mins. I use the 2600 now is only used for Saltmixing.. LOL.. plus the added heat the SEIOs bring into the tank.

" Charles V "
Old 12/04/2007, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

I haven't noticed any heat issues yet but thanks for the heads up
Old 12/04/2007, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone to side barring my post. LOL, J/P. What do you guy's think about my idea with the dual seaswirls? Think it's too much over kill?
Old 12/04/2007, 02:58 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Not all mag pumps work well as external pumps, most of them leak in a closed loop situation.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:17 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Mike if your doing mostly SPS then do what ever it takes to get the most flow.. but it would be hazardous to your LPS and zoo/palys right

" Charles V "
Old 12/04/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

All I can tell you is not to do the closed loop with the mag, I've tried 4 different ones and they all leaked. I think you get better flow with the Koralia than your idea, it will alternate more with the sea swirl but if you are pushing only 500-600 gph it wont do much. I think you idea would work if you had a 1" seaswirl and a pump with 1200-1500 gph for an sps tank.

Well, I forgot to ask what type of coral do you have?
Old 12/04/2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info. Maybe using the Quiteone is a better bet.

Charles: Good point, I do have a mix of coral's that might not like that much current in the tank. I"ll have to re-think my idea's now.
Old 12/04/2007, 10:00 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

anytime bro.

" Charles V "