Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 09:42 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Laurent. I just posted in your build thread that I also saw the majano - the bubble tips are a good clue. I have them too - green & brown. I've had limited success killing them with Joe's Juice. The last time I used it I tried to kill a brown one like that in the middle of my big colony of zoas that came on my rock. I killed the majano but took out about 20 zoa polyps with it as the Joe's Juice slipped unseen under the base of the colony and wiped out a whole patch. If you use the stuff be very careful with it. I think the only thing I've read that may eat them is a copper banded butterfly, but they'll eat good things too. I now only kill the majanos that are easy to get to without killing something else.

Rue - it's to the right of the middle of Laurent's picture.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:57 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Yes, I saw that one...lol...but I was looking for aiptasia...
Old 12/02/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Iostream is correct that is a calcium based macro I would guess the base of the stalk is white? I have re-done the Dave skimmer mod and have enlarged the outlet tube for hopefully better control, "I will keep you informed" Also while doing the mod to the new skimmer I bought, it gave me an idea for another mod of course it will not be for the weak hearted as it will involve more cutting, but I have high hoped for it.
As for magnesium and bryopsis I'm not sold my bry hasn't changed much will see tomorrow if it has weakened when I do a water change.
Reefmack have you installed one pump yet?
Chow,
Dave
Old 12/02/2007, 10:14 PM
Excuse My French...

Close-Up

A cool close-up of the Emerald Crab that was hitch-hiking my Candy Cane rock:

Hopefully, this little guy won't grow too big! The hairy legs are funny... and not so sexy.

Thanks all on the head's up on the Majano. I think I will remove the rock from the tank and "operate" with cuticle scissors in the kitchen, then rinse a lot to remove small pieces that could grow back into new anemones... Good plan?
Old 12/02/2007, 10:42 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Beautiful; and I think it's a girl!
Old 12/03/2007, 07:22 AM
Genuine reef addict

mbdave - sorry to report that I still haven't installed the pump mod yet. At the rate I'm going it may be during the week off that I have at Christmas. I was planning to do it yesterday till I woke up with a pinched nerve or something in one leg. I hobbled around all day and did a minimal of tank work, and didn't feel like moving the table next to the tank to get at the pump chamber (one disadvantage of having the HOB fuge on that side). I think I reported that that big clump of bryopsis that I did pull out yesterday left behind only a few thin and white filaments, so I'm thinking the Bryopsis may have at least been weakened by the mag, and what remains of that big clump looks dead. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Laurent - maybe you can get that Emerald girl a little shaving kit for her hairy legs.
Old 12/03/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Hey RM...we are now free to say "airwaterice" all we want. They are RC sponsors!.
Old 12/03/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

My emerald crab decided to go on another taste testing adventure yesterday, starting with a Feather Duster tube. I chased him off of it and it went directly to my brand new GSP colony (awesome green) and started plucking heads off the closed polyps.
I'm concerned it may not have enough to eat now that all the algae it targeted is gone. It doesn't seem to like hair algae at all...the only algae left in the tank. I've seen it picking new Coralline growth as well.

Anyone know how to catch a crab?? I'm thinking the blue hermits have to go as well..they just knock corals over and attack my snails.
Old 12/03/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
My emerald crab decided to go on another taste testing adventure yesterday, starting with a Feather Duster tube. I chased him off of it and it went directly to my brand new GSP colony (awesome green) and started plucking heads off the closed polyps.
I'm concerned it may not have enough to eat now that all the algae it targeted is gone. It doesn't seem to like hair algae at all...the only algae left in the tank. I've seen it picking new Coralline growth as well.

Anyone know how to catch a crab?? I'm thinking the blue hermits have to go as well..they just knock corals over and attack my snails.
Some Mithrax crabs can be drawn out by dangling a piece of clam on a wire in front of them. They will grab the clam, and you will be able to fish it out like that. However, it might just as well totally ignore the clam, since they are most commonly known for eating algae. Anyway, it might be worth the try
I removed my blue hermits as well, as you say: the nasty creatures keep on knocking everything over...
Old 12/03/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I agree it's not aiptasia and may be majano. Is it green with pink tips? If it does then it is definitely majano.

Mike
Old 12/03/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

The wrasse finally came out to play... still nothing on the Gramma. I see his mouth, so I know he is still there and swimming.

Old 12/03/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iostream
The wrasse finally came out to play... still nothing on the Gramma. I see his mouth, so I know he is still there and swimming.
Beautiful picture, Iostream!

Last edited by Dietger; 12/03/2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

I'm going on a reef tank tour next weekend in the neighboring city (4hrs away). I found the group thru a Canadian reef forum, they take monthly tours of all the local reef tanks (largest = 500 gals). Several of the members sell/trade (hopefully give away) corals.
Needless to say, I'll probably be rearranging my tank Sat night to make room for some new additions... or converting my 77 gal to SW. lol

Last edited by Hodge; 12/03/2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

lpsluver: airwaterice airwaterice airwaterice airwaterice airwaterice airwaterice airwaterice LOL!!!

Hodge - what algae did the Emerald eat that is now gone? I've seen mine pick between polyps but never actually pick one off. But, it's possible for sure. Mine pick at everything on the rock, but I think they're really looking for excess food etc. But then, mine picked my red macro to pieces - in the refugium now. I think the Foxface is the first critter I've had that actually ate what I hoped it would (other than the sea hare). In my tank it's the Blue Linkia star that is the worst bulldozer knocking thigs over, and occasionally the turbo snails.

Dietger - I used to catch crayfish like that when I was young - tying a piece of bologny or raw meat on a string might work too.

MJSavage - I have both brown and green tentacled majanos, but neither with pink tips. There must be several species or color morphs of those nasty little things. On the other hand I've had them in the middle of zoa colonies with no harm to the zoas they were in the middle of. In fact they've often moved out of the zoas to where I can "juice" them more easily.

Nice fish and nice picture Iostream!
Old 12/03/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Well, I am taking the plunge. I ordered the aquafuge 2 and light, which should be here this week. While waiting for it's arrival I will use a scoring tool to remove the black plastic backing behind the filter. My only concern is clearance for the chiller tubing, but it looks like there will be room. I plan to mount it in the back similar to what nappi82 has done.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

My friendly online lfs has Sea Hare's available. At 2"-3" long are they bulldozers??

Come to think of it, my Emerald mainly picks at the rock not directly at any algae other than a small tuft of leafy looking stuff I had (gone now).
Old 12/03/2007, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Hmm, easier than I thought... the plastic is thin and scores easily along the edges there... the hardest part is the lip at the top. Instead of scoring the bottom edge, I just went all the way down. I will post pictures once I get the fuge here and installed.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:20 PM
Genuine reef addict

Iostream - pictures would be good in case anyone else want to run the Aquafuge, Nappi82's pics were helpful too, but new ones would be good, Hopefully it'll work well for you.

Hodge - I honestly can't recall the sea hare being a bulldozer, but I guess it's possible. Mine was big too - about 3 inches. But, I always try to use a superglue & epoxy combo to fix my corals. It just doesn't always result in a strong bond to the rock, but I'm getting better at it. They do starve to death if they don't have a lot to eat so if the tank is pretty clean they won't last long.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Hodge - Try putting it's favorite coral (food) inside a small portable plastic fish tank with lid. Set it on the sand bed and wait for it to enter then close. I've tried this technique with a shrimp but it seemed to attract all my nassarius snails instead and the food would be gone quickly. Maybe it'll work for your crab.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

To give you an idea, I used the following tool:

To cut the RSM on the edges as seen here. the cut extends below the glass, and the back plastic just pulled right off.

Old 12/03/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Hi again all

Just a quick question..hate to hijack threads not sure if I should ask here or start a new thread on it but ...

I am just starting to add Corals to my RSM and I wondered if you guys add anything extra to your tank like Iodine to help encorrage growth? All my corals are pretty much soft so far.

Also I am not sure what to do about Calcium, I am using the RS Salt and my Calcium levels are about 450ppm right now, I have the calcium additive that came with my RSM made by RS but I have never used it...do you guys use it?

Thank you. Maybe I should create a RSM Newbies thread?

Stuart
Old 12/03/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm using Kent A/B for Calcium. My Calcium levels were down to 360 before I'd tested for it. I had thought weekly water changes were enough but was wrong I guess. Most of my corals are softies, so not sure what was the reason for low levels.

I might be wrong but this thread is the best for getting questions answered IMO.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:14 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hodge - looks like you did a great job, and a pretty clean cut on that back lip! Thanks for the DIY pics.

Floridaideal - I hadn't added any supplements for the first several months of having my RSM and had success with both softies and lps. But, I started out with Instant Ocean rather than the RS salt, and my Ca levels were usually 425-440. Some in there I ran out of IO salt & went to the RS salt, and while I can't blame it on the RS salt my Ca levels dropped to 380 back in June. I started infrequent dosing of Kent Tech CB A&B and got them back up 470 at one point & 440 the last 2 tests. I now dose the A&B daily every morning. I was dosing 8.5ml each daily and when I had 470 Ca I cut it back to 5ml each & got back to 440. I made it easy by getting several small nalgene (plastic) bottles from the lab at work & measure out the ml in each and add RO/DI to fill up the little bottles, then cap them. At 4:30 in the morning I don't feel like doing the measuring thing so I just dump a pre-measured A bottle slowly in the back, then 15-20 minutes later a B bottle. The Keny says it's best to do in the morning, 15 minutes apart. It also brought my alkalinity up from below 8 to 10.2 the last test, and my borderline low pH has now been running 8 - 8.4. On iodine, I add a drop of Lugols only when I think of it, which isn't often and no more than a drop a week per instructions. About once every week or two I add some Kent Coral Vite. I don't know if you need to be doing all of this at the stage you're at, but if you start adding an A&B do the measurements at least once a week so you don't overdo anything. It's often better doing nothing than messing with things you can't measure. Just my opinions, and what I've been doing in my tank. Hodge - remember that coralline will consume Ca too - that may be why yours dropped.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Hodge, to catch the crab tilt a small jar against the rockwork and put some food in it. If the crab goes for the food he will slide into the jar and not be able to climb out. If the jar is small enough then some of the fish may be too big to get to the food.

Mike
Old 12/03/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack,

Can you share any super glue/epoxy combo tips. I've had a 5% success rate attaching corals so far and am getting frustrated.