Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 09:50 PM
Moved out

The frag tank has FRAGS!!

Woo Hoo! Well I've got some frags in the tank over the weekend. Just got some softies in there right now. I fragged my Tyree green sarcophyton into 7 small frags of about 1/2" in size. Also I fragged my Palau Sinularia into 4 small frags (that thing was getting huge in my display tank anyways. I also added frags of my zoanthids. Put a couple caps in there glued to a large rock. I'm off and running!!

I'm going to probably get a few fish next weekend to put in there. Thinking about getting a small Tang, a couple small Wrasses and some Red Legs to put in there. I've got a boat load of snails in my display that I will put in there when I notice algae building up on the glass.

Before I added the frags:
Old 12/02/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

nice looking tank,do you plan on adding sand or starboard or just leaving it the way it is?
Old 12/03/2007, 11:38 AM
Moved out

Hey Checkinhawk. Yeah I went to Farco Plastics and got some Seaboard cut and realized the frag tank is not quite square so the stuff didn't quite fit like it should. I gotta borrow my neighbors saw and get a good blade to make it fit right. I like the looks of the Starboard tanks. Looks like sand.

I spent several weekends polishing the acrylic. It was scratched up pretty good in a few spots. I'm glad I did it though.

As soon as I get the thing stable I'm gonna add a Sunset frag in there just for you

Take care,
Chris
Old 12/03/2007, 03:22 PM
Underground Art Studio

cwegescheide - that looks great, what's the size of that big boy?
Old 12/03/2007, 04:09 PM
Patient Reefer

Deatails on the equipment please.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Deatails on the equipment please.
2nd that!

And some fresh stand pics! Yours looks great and Ive gotta build one.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

looks good.. love the center overflow.. I may drill the bottom out of my 55 QT tank. I hate using a overflow box..
Old 12/03/2007, 06:08 PM
Moved out

LOL -- compaired to your guys setups mine is put together with bailing wire and duct tape!!!

The stand is just 2x4 legs (two screwed together in the shape of an L for more stability and 1/2" plywood with a lot of 2x4's underneath for no sagging) I'm putting starboard in the bottom pretty much just because I like the nice clean look and I think it does reflect a lot of light and maybe better coral coloration (yeah Im stretchin a lot)

I got a 1200 gallon Pan World return and the 1.5" return can handle it no problem. The return is done with Spa Flex. Gotta love that stuff.

I had an old ASM G3 that I got a new pump for that John reccomended to pimp it out a little bit lol. Its working much better I might add.

The tanks dimensions are 36x36x15.

I put an ACIII on it so if I want to I can keep an eye on it while I'm on the road (if I'm having any issues) I've got one on my display tank so I could switch my Wireless game adapter and setting on my wireless router and Viola I'm looking at the frag tank parameters

I also have rotameters on my effluent returns. Its an easy way to make sure I can get an accurated drip rate. Its micro adjustable and makes tuning the reactor a lot easier.

I also got a Lumenarc reflector and 250W 14K Aquaconnect bulb from Don. I had an old PFO ballast laying around thats driving it on my high tech Tropic Marin bucket stand

I've got a 6100 in there that is not currently running. Gotta send it back to Roger. Been sitting around for a while and doesn't wanna run. Might be a little much for the frag tank though.

I think thats about it
Old 12/03/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Looks great Chris. I just found out the other day that those SE aquaconnect bulbs are HQI rated bulbs. Is that a HQI ballast? If it is it should run those bulbs better then electronics. How is the color?
Old 12/03/2007, 09:47 PM
Moved out

I like the color that its putting out. Not sure how intense it is though. I don't think its as bright as my DE 14K Pheonix on my display though... My 250W ballast is not HQI. I do have a 400 HQI PFO ballast laying around though... Hmmmm..
Old 12/07/2007, 11:24 AM
SPS Freak

How thick is the acrylic? I just built one except mine is 12 inches high. What did you use to buff out the scratches?
Old 12/07/2007, 12:06 PM
Moved out

I can't remember the name of the acrylic scratch removal kit but basically it consists of many different grits of sandpaper to remove the scratches. Then I used the Nova II polish to remove any haze that remained. It was a lot of work doing it by hand but the result turned out pretty good. Looks like a new tank. The tank is 3/8" acrylic.