Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2007, 02:48 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I would at least suggest wrapping the brace with aluminum foil to keep it cool. It may not prevent a shadow from time to time, but it would prevent the thing from melting.
Old 08/07/2007, 03:40 PM
Rubberman

I run mine so high heats never an issue. But then it's an open top frag system.

SteveU
Old 08/07/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I dont have a light mover in the near future plans but maybe down the road so I was wondering about the brace and shadows. Not so sure heat would be a major issue as the light would not be beating down directly at the brace 100% or the time, but good point Hahn. Definitely would need to check on how hot it got and remedy if needed.

gtrestoration ... How about the shadow? Pretty bad every time the light moves over the brace? Or not too noticeable?

Thanks
Old 08/07/2007, 05:03 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
............I was wondering about the brace and shadows........... How about the shadow? Pretty bad every time the light moves over the brace? Or not too noticeable?
while i don't use a mover anymore i did for about 6 yrs in the 90's with great results. what i did was lined the inside of my canopy with polished aluminum sheet to make the entire canopy a reflector, i used a 4 bulb VHO setup (2 aquasun/2 03 Actinic) and had a 400w Radium bulb on the mover with no reflector and the bulb tracking about 3" below the VHO bulbs, it was hard to even tell where on the track the MH was at, there were no overly bright spots only water lines from the bulb. most people hardly even noticed by looking at the tank it had a mover. in the pics above it's too dramatic a difference as the bulb moves for my liking.
Old 08/07/2007, 06:00 PM
Rubberman

DarG

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a brace.

SteveU
Old 08/07/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

No problem.
Old 08/08/2007, 02:58 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, I wouldnt say the center brace would be a huge problem. The light would move over it, but its resting point wouldnt be over it, so its not like it would make a shadow for long.
Old 09/01/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Note to hahnmeister

You are correct that an AgraMover is a larger unit than Light Rail but you are incorrect that AgraMover is less suited for salt water applications.

AgraMover is constructed almost entirely from stainless steel, aluminum, and plastic components. The only exceptions are the bearings, bearing shafts, and the motor. The motor is the exact same one that Light Rail uses. So any references to AgraMover being any noisier or quieter than the other product are meaningless. Neither product can make any such claims. Light rail uses galvanized steel for its frame, and drawer rollers for its bearings. Both brands' electrical enclosures are comparably sealed, so neither can claim superiority in this regard.

I am new to aquarium use for light movers, and my first exposure to this as a possible market was when purpetual, one of your respected members, purchased one from me last year. I don't yet know what advantages there are to an AgraMover over a Light Rail for aquarium use, but I can tell you in general terms its advantages.

AgraMover admittedly was designed with the indoor gardener in mind, and no thought whatsoever was put into it for aquarium users as this market never occurred to us at the time. It was designed to carry heavier loads and outperform and outlast Light Rail for this use. Perhaps its larger size and heavier construction create space problems for aquarium use, but from purpetuals pictures I don't yet know.

One possible advantage to AgraMover is its use of standard strut channel as its track. If one visits www.mcmaster.com and types in strut channel into its search engine, they will find pages of brackets, attachments, and mounting configurations that render the user with a wide array of potential mounting ease.

Another advantage of AgraMover is its use of urethane for the tires instead of the neoprene Light Rail uses. This means no black neoprene dust will drop into one's tank as the tires wear. (urethane is so much tougher)

As I mentioned previously, AgraMover's wheel bearings and axle shafts are made of steel. Although the bearings are steel, they are sealed and thus protected from the environment. The shafts are completely enclosed by the wheels and the bearings. If ever they fail, changing is a simple 5 minute job.

I am indeed interested in pursuing the aquarium user market, and welcome suggestions on how AgraMover can make its product better for that purpose.

There is nothing Mickey Mouse about AgraMover. It's not a crude hand made product thrown together in someone's garage, rather it's made by a consortium of firms from plastic plants, stamping plants, then assembled and packaged. It has been around since 1999 (although there have been many improvements incorporated in the design since those early days)

If you desire to know more, please visit agramover.com for more details.

Please understand that I am not here to advertise, nor do I wish to interfere with your free exchange of ideas as to what is better for salt water tank users. I think honest criticism of a product can be just as valuable as endorsements as both serve to improve matters for the consumer and thus I welcome both. I will lurk here from time to time but not participate very much. I am here today primarily to provide the facts in response to some incorrect assumptions.
Old 09/01/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Umm, AgraMover I realize that your intentions may not be self-serving, but there a rather strict rules against people promoting their businesses on RC. The fact is that regular people are allowed to give their opinions of products on this website while people clearly affiliated with a certain product are not. I wouldn't be suprized if your post gets removed.
Old 09/01/2007, 02:12 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister

salmon alley, as far as the Agramover, I cant comment. They are most likely similar, but I know that the Gualala is approved for use in humid environments w/o rusting, with sealed control electronics and wiring. The agra looks more 'DIY' which means exposed wiring and rust is more likely. Perpetual98 has one I believe... you could ask him. I also wanted the most compact unit so I could mount it inside my canopy with minimal clearance problems... the agra is a larger unit from what I have seen.

Well thank you for clarification... like I said, I couldnt comment about exacts, only go on a hunch.
Old 09/01/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I hope they don't, but if they do I can certainly understand. I'm just trying to end the myths I've seen in this thread and provide a fair response. I see you're from Akron. I plan on moving there soon. I found a place on Home Avenue near Howe.

By the way, I really enjoyed the clever design that fellow used in his home made light mover.

Thanks...
Old 09/01/2007, 03:55 PM
Rubberman

AM... Thanks for the post. I think you're able to correct any incorrect statements made about the product. So IMO if you keep it at that you'll be ok.

I would like to state I've been using your product on a prop system and couldn't be happier. I'm in need of another mover but need to move a fixture that's 4' long so I'll need some assistance. It will be moving side to side and not the length of the fixture. I'll PM you the particulars if you have that RC feature turned on.

Thanks... SteveU
Old 09/02/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

to GTrestoration

I responded to your RC but it said your mailbox is full and you won't be receiving the same. From what it sounded like, you just need a bracket and I had an idea in mind. I think you have my email address, and if not, just look on the back page of your instruction leaflet for my phone number. I'll be happy to talk you through it.

Glad you like the mover! That makes me feel very good.
Old 09/03/2007, 04:11 PM
Rubberman

Sorry. I backed up the PM's to EM and then forgot to delete them. I'll dig up the number and give you a call this week.

Thanks,

SteveU
Old 09/08/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fkshiu
Has anybody tried a light rail on a 72" tank? I am wondering whether you would need 2 MHs or would one work (assuming the rail is long enough)?
Yes. I use a LR3.5 on a 6' tank. I have a single 400W bulb in a RO2 retrofit (deliberately to spill a little light, although I have seriously considered a lumenmax lately). I ran it for a while on its own, but my anemone wasn't a fan of being in the dark every couple of minutes - I added a pair of overdriven T5's (5') to light the whole tank, and everything is now responding well. 620W of light (actually measured by kilawatt) on a 180, and everything seems to be doing well (still pretty new though, so time will tell). I've tried putting mushrooms right near the top of the tank next to some high light SPS with no ill effects, so there may well be something to the idea that intermittent lighting doesn't burn like regular lighting. Or maybe my mushrooms are just tough as old boots.

Dave
Old 09/08/2007, 11:39 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Another member is observing the same with his frag tanks where he started using rails. He can put lower light frags right up next to the higher light stuff... like a low-light pipe-organ right next to a stag, and both do well.
Old 12/02/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

any updates on how peoples tanks have been doing? I am interested in installing a light mover on an 8 foot frag tank but its only 12" deep any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:32 AM
El Jefe de WRS

how wide?
Old 12/03/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

My tank with light mover has been doing great. I don't have any acropora in it yet but my monti's, challices, ect... are happy.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

I think its like 24-30". The reason I don't know is I am using a tank at school and setting it up in one of the labs so I don't have the tank right here with me but its in that range.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Oh and looks aren't a big factor so I don't have to cram it in a canopy. Is there any way a mover would move a fixture with two halides or multiple pendents? or do you need a mover for every light?
Old 12/03/2007, 12:02 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Id use dual 250wattDE halides on an 8' span like that, spaced 4' apart so they move back and forth about 3' (or spaced 3' and travel only 2' back and forth... up to you to tinker depending on how much light you want the ends to get). All you need is one light rail, but you will have to mount the second pendant on a 'trolley' which gets conntected to the drive unit with a rod.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. If I have any other questions I'm sure I'll post 'em.