Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 07:59 PM
glutton for punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by elvictre
You can hide the Tunzes well. I actually spent some time this past weekend locating my tunzes low in my tank and I have them on a angle pointing upwards. One I get more LR I will cover them so they won't be visable. I will post s pic of how I mounted them if you like.

Vic
I dont get it, tunzes need to be cleaned every now and again, you have to dismantle the rockwork, clean then, then put the rocks back in place with corals and such ??
Old 11/29/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like it. I wish the Tunze were wireless like the Vortech's.Would make it so much easier to choose.Hiding the Tunze is fine,but what about the cords you have to run 20" up your tank then over the sides?
Old 11/29/2007, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

thanks Jarhead, good to know
Old 11/29/2007, 10:54 PM
I am a super nose picker

The vortechs are much more simple.The tunze are an eyesore way to big.You can have them on the top corners of the tank facing towards the middle but they are big and if you don't want the bracket then you need to buy the magnet.Those new tunze pumps that due 5000 gals are frikkin huge.I went to my LFS and saw them in person and they are way to big.You are better off getting a wave box at least its not as ugly as the powerhead.
Old 11/29/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Steve, I agree, they are wildly popular, but what an eye sore
Old 11/30/2007, 07:14 AM

I had to swallow my clean look pride and purchase a tunze 6201 to see what the fuss was all about and sure enough it has made such a difference compared to my Closed loop. Im really aiming to better than average growth on my SPS and this type of flow will help me achieve this. Not only that, my softies wave in the tank now. The tank looks more alive. Since I love the 6201 so much, I purchased another and got it in today.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

anyone have any experience with the large Tunzes? like the ones that are rated over 5000gph? is it 6300? or something like that? i think one gives off 7000gph right?

i am planning a large tank either 10x4x30 or 10x5x30. want to know if i can just use a couple of the big tunze instead of the 6100 or 6200?
Old 11/30/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Yaktop, my tank is 10x4x2 so the tunze will be located behind rocks but I can get to them fromt he top of the tank. I also have a wavebox in each corner that I will have to remove every few months to clean. I just take it like it's part of the hobby. But with the depth I have I could get behind the rockwork to get to them.

Vic
Old 11/30/2007, 09:28 AM
I am a super nose picker

AMD30 those are the power heads I am talking about.They are very large.In a 10ft tank x 4ft maybe they won't look as big.I can't give you the exact size but I would say they are pretty bulky.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 46bfinGA
. And use my Closed loop to provide flow in the rest of the tank using a Barracuda with outputs being on the top of the tank with Om Revolutions.
Sorry to go back to this but I thought I should mention this.

FWIW
The barracuda is a much better choice of pumps to use with Eductors. On a closed loop you should be able to run 6 eductors at a time with it. And get 1200 - 1800 gph each out of them. When you add the OM revoltion (im not familiar with) it might change some things due to the back pressure it cerates.

PS. you should have the ballasts buy Tuesday latest.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Ive been looking at the Vortech's
Watch out, Vortechs will not work if the panes are greater than 3/4 inch thick! I forgot about this when I set my system up, and have to send them back.

Ryan.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

I am now planning two big tunzes to go in the back corners, and two smaller ones to go on the bottom in the tunze rocks to hide them... somewhere in the middle of the tank. A local reefer / dealer has two of these rocks back to back with the pumps blowing in opposite directions away from each other, and it looks pretty good.

That rockwork by Iwan is awesome.

I am trying to figure out a way to hide the wires without making removal of the pumps too much of a PITA.

Ryan.

Last edited by FishTruck; 11/30/2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishTruck
Watch out, Vortechs will not work if the panes are greater than 3/4 inch thick! I forgot about this when I set my system up, and have to send them back.

Ryan.
Mine is 3/4"
Old 11/30/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland Jacques
Sorry to go back to this but I thought I should mention this.

FWIW
The barracuda is a much better choice of pumps to use with Eductors. On a closed loop you should be able to run 6 eductors at a time with it. And get 1200 - 1800 gph each out of them. When you add the OM revoltion (im not familiar with) it might change some things due to the back pressure it cerates.

PS. you should have the ballasts buy Tuesday latest.
Here is a link the OM Revolutions,there pretty cool. Ill have to check with Paul at OM and see how they affect the flow.
revolutions.http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...e5f7cc9d1740d3

I should get 1200-1800 gph anyways without Eductors out of my two outputs from my OM 4way shouldnt I?
Old 11/30/2007, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

hey man- I run 2 tunze 6200 on my tank, if you want to come up and check it out. the invite is still open. I am available on sunday morning til about noon again. the crosshatches are gone, but you are still more than welcome.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Here is a link the OM Revolutions,there pretty cool. Ill have to check with Paul at OM and see how they affect the flow.
revolutions.http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...e5f7cc9d1740d3

I should get 1200-1800 gph anyways without Eductors out of my two outputs from my OM 4way shouldnt I?

I've heard some issues about the revolutions (they start sticking). I'm in the process of setting up my new 240g 8x2x2 and I'm running dual vortechs with the wireless controllers and my return pump is an Iwaki MD70RLT that T's off to two 1/2" lock lines with nozzles. I had two Pacific Coast Eductors on the returns but couldn't get them to bend enough to not blast my sand bed. Here is the link to the video footage...it's sounds loud because the digital camera makes it worse but the flow is pretty amazing. I plan on doing a mixed reef but I'm thinking with a 4' wide tank you could go with 4 of them. I have mine on "reef crest" mode. They are pricey but shop around, you can get some better deals. If your not going to have SPS you could possibly just get by starting off with 2 of them and maybe have a bigger return pump. I considered having CL with a Hammerhead but I'm glad I didn't at this point....plenty of flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj7gqcpcGlM
Old 11/30/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Well I really dont want a bigger Return Pump. I dont want that much flow thru my sump.Nice video BTW! I see the sand kicks up every now and then is that from the returns?

Ive heard that to about the Revolutions,but Ive heard good things about them also. I figured I would try a couple of them and If I like them I may buy 4 to finish the closed loop off.

The Vortech's are nice but I cant spend $1600 right now on 4 of them.I doubt 2 of them would be enough,if i did not use my closed loop.

Last edited by 46bfinGA; 11/30/2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaneyapanda
hey man- I run 2 tunze 6200 on my tank, if you want to come up and check it out. the invite is still open. I am available on sunday morning til about noon again. the crosshatches are gone, but you are still more than welcome.
May do that. Thanks
Old 12/01/2007, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

I think you should look around first before doing anything crazy especially when you put couple holes in the bottom of the tank and decided to do PH instead. I have a few friend who originally go with CL and decided to do Tunze instead. JMO.....
Old 12/01/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

a very large maximod. all the details are not worked out as of yet. the project has also evloved into two 4'x8' seperate tanks as well.

Last edited by Lucky Strike; 12/01/2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone have measurements of the largest Tunze Streams?
Old 12/02/2007, 12:52 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I bet you they would in the tunze forum.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

So Im thinking about ditching the CL and getting the Vortech's. Any reason Im not thinking about that would make the Tunze a better option? If Im going to spend the money I want to have all the bells and whistles. Im hoping they will justify themselves cost wise over a couple years.Im thinking Ill buy 4 and one of the battery backups. Any reason why a Regular APC computer backup wont work?

The Pros to me on the Vortechs would be.......
a. Wireless controllers
b. ease of mounting
c. no wires or heat in the tank
d. cheaper

Only cons I can think of is.....
a. less options on the controller(maybe Im wrong?)
b. less GPH then the Tunze
Old 12/08/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

I have a 400 gallon...8ft long and had a closed loop OM4way.. I got rid of that and now Im switching to Tunze's...I bought vortechs but the only side i can put them on was 1" thick...I wasn't very happy with the closed loop
Old 12/08/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Well I broke down and bought some vortechs. Then decided against them after seeing JNAROWES thread. Now I bought 4-6100's with 7095 multicontroller. Hopefully they will work out ok. Got a good deal on them so I cant complain too much.