Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 01:59 PM
Set it up

DIY Rocks

I know there are a few in the community that have made DIY rocks. I have also read a lot of threads on the subject and it seems that there is quite a few ways to go about it.

How is the rock now, that it has been in your tanks for a while?

Is it flacking?

Would you do it again?

What recipe seemed to work the best?

How long did it take to cure?

I read that someone used grout instead of portland cement.

Hopefully I will be doing my own rock over the holiday.

Last edited by widefx; 11/27/2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

I've had a couple pieces in since I started my tank in august. Now it looks almost just like any other rock in the tank. I can still tell the difference, but my mom couldn't Here's what I've found:

It flaked in the beginning, but not too badly. Before I put it in the tank, I took a wooden dowel and lightly beat the rock and rinsed it and stuff. Gets most of the stuff off.

Yes I would do it again. I have 1 big rock made for the 70g, and I will be doing some more in a couple weeks.

I don't remember my recipe exactly. I used cement, perlite, crushed oyster shell, and a little sand. I just used plain silica sand, didn't bother spending big bucks on aragonite.

I used rapid-setting cement. I took it out after a day and cured it kind of an odd way. I didn't check on it regularly since i wasn't in a hurry, but it was out of the water for a couple weeks and in the water for a couple...maybe less. I think total it was 3-4 weeks. I am going to try baking rocks next time to quicken the cure. I've heard it can make it take as little as a week. The big one I just did I boiled and it has been soaking a week. It was also sitting outside for about a month lol.

I haven't used grout, but I use "rapidset" brand cement. It actually has big rocks in it, but I sifted it out easily. It hardens quickly and makes a nice whitish-grayish color...much better than standard portland.

I like using Perlite in the mix, but it is tricky to get the mixture right. if you want to try some, I have a 20cu ft bag I could pull some from and let you try it out. If you use crushed oyster shell, don't use a lot. Too much and you can cut your hands up pretty easily handling the rocks.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:33 PM
Mindless Philosopher

Mine has been in the tank since May 5, 2007. No appreciable disintegration in that time, and it looks like live rock. I used white cement, crushed coral, snail shells, rock salt (grains, not pellets) and crushed styrofoam packing peanuts. I cured mine in water spiked with muriatic acid for 3 weeks.

Using a polymer modified grout is an interesting idea, but I'd read the MDS sheets carefully to make sure there are no unwanted/leachable chemicals in it (ie nitrates, phosphates, borates)

Denny, let me know when you are planning to make some, and if I'm able to, I'll gladly come and give you a hand and demonstrate the forming/molding method I used.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:59 PM
400 club

mine is still sitting in water being cured. alot of work, but it was fun.
i used the gray cement (cant find the white stuff), crush coral, rubble broken from live rocks, dried out live sand, oyster shells, and bottled foam.
cant really tell that there is cement used. mostly covered with rubble rock and sand.
i'll take some pics when i get home...
Old 11/27/2007, 05:04 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

mine is awaiting my tank, I used portland I/II cement with water softener salt.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

I didn't use any salt in my mixes. I just didn't really want to deal with trying to make it leech out. But casting the rocks in a salt mold works really well. Sand is kind of a pain, but I can see a use for it. I prefer salt.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:52 PM
Mushroom King

Jason
Would baking it be kinda risky I mean is there is a water bubble or air pocket caught in there somwhere it might go boom !! Or am I'm over reacting ??

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 11/27/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I've been using the same rock i made back in 2004. Most people don't know any difference. Admittedly its not the most beautiful rock on the planet but it serves its purpose. I used the basic garf recipe only adding more crushed coral and a little less sand. It made the rocks really porous and light.
I like the sand casting, something to think about is using clumps of wet sand for your hollows. It stays clumped during the casting and makes for better openings.
How ever you make it always check your ph in your rinse water. If its really off the scale allow it to water cure a little longer.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:02 PM
Set it up

Quote:
Originally posted by moore_rb
Mine has been in the tank since May 5, 2007. No appreciable disintegration in that time, and it looks like live rock. I used white cement, crushed coral, snail shells, rock salt (grains, not pellets) and crushed styrofoam packing peanuts. I cured mine in water spiked with muriatic acid for 3 weeks.

Using a polymer modified grout is an interesting idea, but I'd read the MDS sheets carefully to make sure there are no unwanted/leachable chemicals in it (ie nitrates, phosphates, borates)

Denny, let me know when you are planning to make some, and if I'm able to, I'll gladly come and give you a hand and demonstrate the forming/molding method I used.
I would love the help it would be fun to have a little rock making party.

There was an RC member who used the grout and it worked great also he did check the MDS and there were no issues of leachable chemicals. But you do have to watch for the grout that has a mold deterrent. The cool thing about the grout is that you can get it in different colors. I would love to do mine in a deep brown color.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

I would be interested in helping also. It would be more for my benefit.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMCAquarium
Jason
Would baking it be kinda risky I mean is there is a water bubble or air pocket caught in there somwhere it might go boom !! Or am I'm over reacting ??
The concrete is so porous that there is nothing to worry about when it comes to air or water pockets. A few on that huge DIY rock thread have baked with good success. I tried baking once, but didn't like the way the rocks came out, because I used too much oyster shell.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:42 PM
Set it up

Quote:
Originally posted by dcall
I would be interested in helping also. It would be more for my benefit.
That would be great!

I am thinking of setting up a date in December or January to have a rock making party. Possibly we could split the cost for the people who want to make rock.

I have a large yard that we can cure the rock in for the time it takes.

Who wants to come over and what date do you think we should do this on?

I live in North Phoenix 51 and 101 area.

We could also do a barbecue and maby some coral trading
Old 11/28/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by widefx
That would be great!

I am thinking of setting up a date in December or January to have a rock making party. Possibly we could split the cost for the people who want to make rock.

I'd be down. I've got a huge bag of perlite I can bring in case anybody wants to use that in their rocks. Makes them nice and light and gives good texture...if you don't use too much.
Old 11/28/2007, 01:35 PM
400 club

depending on date, i may attend. i have a less than 1/4 bag of a 50lb oyster shells to donate...
Old 11/28/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

that would be awesome. i would like to get my hands dirty trying to make my own custm rocks and caves!
Old 11/28/2007, 04:15 PM
GO BEARS!!

Not sure if I can make it but I could donate 4-5 bags of sand.

Ryan
Old 11/28/2007, 05:16 PM
I read your email

let me know when.

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 11/29/2007, 12:12 AM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by widefx
That would be great!

None of you guys know me but may I join in as well ??? I would love to see how this stuff is made properly. I don't want any I just wanna watch. I'd be happy to cook on the BBQ or at least help. Let me know when your going to do it I work Bi-weekends so if it falls on my off weekend then I'm in for sure. If during the week I'll just switch my days out and I'm in agian.

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

Old 11/29/2007, 12:15 AM
Set it up

LOL your a cook of course you are in.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

I'm in. Just let me know the date.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:22 PM
I read your email

lets get a date and people firmed up. Then we can make a list of what people are bringing. IE food and rock making supplies.

Don't forget the 80% rule. 80% of the people that say they will come, won't

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 11/29/2007, 09:07 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by soni
lets get a date and people firmed up. Then we can make a list of what people are bringing. IE food and rock making supplies.

Don't forget the 80% rule. 80% of the people that say they will come, won't
Well, I'm not very firm I'm kinda fluffy can I still go.....

Should I bring somthing ??? Let me know what ya want me to bring. Soda, Chips, paper products and such let me know should start a tally of who bring what. Also what is the main dish going to be ?? Ribs, steak, Chicken, Bratworste, Burgers, Dogs We need cold salads ?? .......huh I suppose I should stop before people think I'm wierd just the cook in me coming out folks don't be scared

Old 11/29/2007, 10:56 PM
O-Qua Tangin Wann

I'm in.
Old 11/29/2007, 11:26 PM
Set it up

I will get a couple of dates down to choose from tomorrow.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:17 PM
Mushroom King

-Bump-