Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Any Cool unique fish out there - pics ???

I have a 180G tank with 4 yellow, 1 purple, 1 Sailfin; 1 blue Hippo Tangs; clown pair, 7 damsels; flame angel; Bangaii; Orange pearlyscale butterfly; mandarin; algae(lawnmower blenny); bunch of soft corals and a few sps and shrooms. I'm looking for a few unique fish to finish off my tank. Any suggestions??
Old 11/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Just IMO, marinecenter.com has a lot of really unique looking fairy wrasses on their site. I use that site a lot to look at different kinds of fish, but their prices are usually really high. It's always nice to look though.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Honestly I'd say you're done adding fish, and should really think about removing a few of those larger fish unless you have plans for a big upgrade... Remove three of the tangs, and if you have great filtration you might be OK. Also it depends on what kinds of damsels those are. Some get huge, and some stay rather small. If they're smaller ones it'll be OK if the filtration is up for the challenge. Sorry for the bad news, but that's just a lot of fish in there.
Old 11/27/2007, 08:16 PM
Our man in the East

Not many people have this beauty !
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...9136&siteid=20

However, you are already over stocked.
Old 11/27/2007, 08:19 PM
Nano Reefer

Holy wow! Beautiful fish Bangkok, but oh that price tag!!
Old 11/27/2007, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Wow if you think thats a lot in a 180...my 95g is way over stocked then!! Id add a few nice wrasses and an angel or 2....as long as the tangs are all getting along, and you keep up on water changes you are fine.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

At $3,699.99 I can see why not to many people have this fish maybe if they offer a 14year guarantee I would consider it!

I was thinking I had room for a few more fish. my 7 damsels are very small their combined weight is < one of my yellow tangs. I have about 250# LR, a healthy fuge and good skimmer and all my fish look great, but if the consenses is that I'm at my max then I'll just have to window shop. or even better set up another tank!!!, where can I hide one so the better half doesn't find out.
Old 11/28/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

bangaii man:

Your 7 tangs probably out weight my 8 angels now and double within a year. My 7 incl--6 flame angels, juv emperor and juv blueface.

If you do decide to add interesting fishes take a look at:
a pair of watnabei and a pair of japanese swallow angels.
Old 11/28/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks flameangel88 those are both nice looking unique fish that I have never seen before. do you know if they will get along OK with the 1 flame angel I already have
Old 11/28/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

According to liveaquaria.com they are peaceful in nature and grows to 6-7". I'm working getting them can't tell you for sure but don't see why it wouldn't work. Just like everything else, have a back-up plan if it doesn't. (hide that new tank)
Old 11/28/2007, 06:55 PM
Our man in the East

The Genicanthus genus (swallowtail angels) are amazing and beautiful fish. They will be fine with a flame angel and they don't nip at corals. I keep a pair of blackspot with a flame no problem. Here is some info
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/index.php
Old 11/28/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

very good reading...thanks for the link.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Our man in the East

Your welcome
Old 11/29/2007, 12:12 AM
Insane Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by BangkokMatt
Not many people have this beauty !
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...9136&siteid=20

However, you are already over stocked.
Ah the Conspiculatus; you know how most pictures of fish, people say, "It;s really much prettier in person". Well the Conspiculatus is really prettier in pictures. I had one given to me years ago and I always thought maybe I couldn't get the diet correct since it wasn't as brightly contrasted as what I've seen in pictures. Well I watched a dive film and the ones in the wild didn't look any better and then I visited the Dallas Aquarium where they have a tank full and none of them looked as good or better than the one I had. Save your money and look at Emperors, Navarchus, Blueface and so many more first.