Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

OT: IT career advice

Hi guys, this is kinda long...but I'd appreciate any advice. I figured with all the IT people here this would be a good place to ask...

I'm 22...I only completed a few semesters at my local community college after graduating HS in '04. I planned to transfer to a 4 year and go for computer science or electronics engineering, but I'm so behind. (had to move out on my own...family issues) For the past year I've been working as a Tech. Support Rep (phone support and remote access) for a small software company. I have also worked a couple other jobs. (on call I guess?) One is for an air freight forwarding company...I come in maybe once a month if they have any common issues (slow PC's, spyware, remap a network drive, reset a printer server, etc etc.)

I'm currently making close to $30K...which is more than most of my 22 year old friends...but I'd really like to double that within the next two years if possible. What's my best career path? Should I finish my 2-3 years at community college then transfer to a UC? Should I just go for an MCSE? I've seen job postings for MCSE's anywhere from $60K-$100K

Do you guys think my goals are unrealistic? Any suggestions for the best career path? I hate programming...so that's not an option. (learned a bit of C and Java in high school) I'm more into hands on...networking even? I do like linux? How about a linux sys admin....don't those guys make like $80K a year?

Anyways...thanks for any suggestions and sorry for the long post.
Old 11/26/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Like almost any profession, there's different tiers in IT. THe biggest thing to realize is that if you don't have any skills that an 18 year old can't top, you won't ever get paid more than an 18 year old. That mean you either need a ton of experience, a ton of certificates, or a ton of very real education. MCSEs left over from the dot com boom/bust are still a dime a dozen, and to be honest, I tend to look down on those certs. The certs I really care about are the cisco variety (CCNA, for example), but that is also partially due to my industry.

If you stay at your job in tech support, you won't double your income no matter what you do. Networking, system engineering (given requirements, design a solution), that's where your money will come, but you'll need to understand specifics (why use filesystem X instead of Y given this topology, why does topology Z result in a flood of incoming packets to the VLAN) that may be hard to pick up if you just study for tests without understanding the actual underlying concepts.

Personally, I went to a 4 year school, majored in computer science, and have a job that's mostly network and system engineering (some internal IT helpdesk stuff, but it's a small company), and it pays very well. In my case, understanding the theory behind operating systems, networks, and programming languages helps me a great deal, but I'm sure there are counter examples everywhere.
Old 11/26/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

I say you should finish up your school. Getting a degree is better than not having any. I don't know about MCSE degrees, but I have a couple of friends that has this degree and they're making decent money, but not more than me.

I got my BS in Electrical Engineering and got a job right away after college at 22. My job pays well, I'm not going to tell you how much I make, but it's well above 60K/yr. There's not that many programming classes to take for an EE major, so you might like it. I hated programming too :P There are lots of hands on lab activities which makes you do a lot of hardware designs and stuff like that.

I know you can be making more $ w/o going to school and blah blah blah, but how many examples of this do you see compared to the people that goes to school and getting good jobs?
Old 11/26/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Finish your school. Go the best school you can get into. No, I don't think you'll be making 60k a year in 2 years with only a HS degree. You are lucky to be making $30k.

And you need to do this now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for you to go back to school. That needs to be your #1 priority.

Good luck!
Old 11/26/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

there is no quick road to success, well not for many of us anyways. if you decide to get certified, i will go with cisco or mcse, and it will take you time to build up experience to get the money you would like. it's not that this path will not work, you will just need experience. getting certification lets a employer know that you have a comprehensive knowledge of the system you are working on.

going to school and getting a degree in computer science will be the better bet. although it will take more time, you will get a better understanding. you could still stay in the field and work to get hands on experience and/or study while in school to get your mcse.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Its all who you know!!!! You can be 22 and make 80k a year!

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.” - Bruce Lee
Old 11/26/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CW from the OC
Finish your school. Go the best school you can get into. No, I don't think you'll be making 60k a year in 2 years with only a HS degree. You are lucky to be making $30k.

And you need to do this now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for you to go back to school. That needs to be your #1 priority.

Good luck!
I think there was a misunderstanding...I meant what career path would be good to maybe get close to that amount in 2 years....but I know for sure just a regular Support Rep won't make $60K

I guess electronics engineering sounds like the way to go...I'll also look into the Cisco certs. My networking knowledge is pretty solid, so I don't see why I couldn't get into networking...that and I like it way more than programming.

I guess I'm just trying to weigh the benefits of going to school vs. the benefits of just getting any certifications and experience.

jjirsa, puffa, CW...thanks a lot
Old 11/26/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

btw, you think 60K is a lot... it's actually not

I thought it was enough for me also when I was going to school, but it's actually not a lot after taxes!!! damn taxes!
Old 11/26/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffalicious
btw, you think 60K is a lot... it's actually not

I thought it was enough for me also when I was going to school, but it's actually not a lot after taxes!!! damn taxes!
i think inflation has made $60K not as appealing as it used to be in high school/college, well for me anyways.

confucious say; it is not how much you make but how much you spend.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HenryTran
i think inflation has made $60K not as appealing as it used to be in high school/college, well for me anyways.

confucious say; it is not how much you make but how much you spend.
that's true, i spend it all on my fishes!!!!!!!! ahhhh damn hobby is wasting my money!!
Old 11/26/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by socalchris

I guess I'm just trying to weigh the benefits of going to school vs. the benefits of just getting any certifications and experience.

[/B]
School wins more often than not. There will always be people without degrees that make more money than you, but the law of averages says a 4 year degree will pay off more in the long run.

EE will require math skills. CS will require math and programming (applied math). Most schools will have paths right in the middle (microcode on hardware), and off to both extremes (hardware only engineering, algorithm only CS). Don't expect to find a couse that shows you how to log into a router and setup VLANS and peers, though - school is almost always theory, the actual implementation you'll still have to learn on the job (a couple years at lower salary before it jumps).
Old 11/26/2007, 06:11 PM

I was in the IT field in 2000 but lay-offs were left and right. In my experience, IT jobs tend to be unstable.. (but this also depends on many factors including who you work for, experience, education, etc) As much as I love IT, I can't deal with instability so I switched to accounting.. pay is so MUCH better and much much stable job market, IMO. I still fix PC's on the side....

BTW, I have CompTIA A+ cert but it does absolutely nothing. I took it in 97 (yes it even had DOS, lol) but very few fundamentals even apply to today's standards. I agree with the poster above^. It's mostly WHO you know.

Please take my advice and stay in school. Focus on what YOU really want. Feel the job market. Then get a degree and get a stable job. When you get older, your mind will get clouded and you will feel physically worn, busy and have almost no time to go back to school. (especially true IF you have wife and kids) Trust me.. I look back and ask myself "what could've been".

Above all, Good luck to you.

Last edited by xtm; 11/26/2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11/26/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

The fact that you are asking these questions now is a good sign. The most important advice I feel that I can ever give anyone of your age is to go to school and get an education. It IS the best answer.

Going to school for 4 years takes a lot of time, money and resources and it's often times hard to justify or see how it's going to help (especially when your friends are working and able to buy nice corals and such), but like anything else in life, hard work and commitment pays off in the long run.

Go back to school and get a degree!!
Old 11/26/2007, 07:21 PM
Where'd my check go?!

It is good that you know what you DONT want to do. Some people get into programming and HATE it. Me personally... I HATED networking and loved sitting at a desk for hours drinking coffee coke and rock stars... so programming worked out well for me. As far as school goes, I agree that education is important.... but I disagree that you should go to the best school, etc... not to be underestimated is on the job experience, etc. Starting out in a IT field in your mid-twenties with a 4-year degree may not be in your best interests. I would say take some classes and at the same time, work on your skills/experience. I personally only have a HS diploma. No certs (other than a worthless A+, no degree). What I DO have is 8 years of solid IT experience. At 25 years old (just turned 25), I have a job that requires at least a bachelors degree in CS or a related field.... all of my co workers on my team have a degree and are AT LEAST 8-10 years older than me, but making the same $$$ as me. And I make a good deal more than $60k. So don’t put too much stock in a degree.... experience and knowledge... coupled with maturity and personality go a LONG WAY. I actually had an intern working for me that had a 4 year degree… he was livid when he found out I didn’t. Hope this helps.

PS – I have taken classes at a couple colleges, just to fill in the gaps and learn new skills. Trust me…the education you get at Long Beach City College is the exact same as what you will get at Cal State Long Beach…or USC… or anywhere else. HTH!

-TJ
Old 11/26/2007, 07:25 PM
Reefaholic

If you know anything about electronics i.e. reading schematics, using o-scopes, multimeters, Ohm's Law, DC theory, etc., you can come work for me.

We've had an opening in my company for this position for over a year and we can't fill it. Its the best job in the world and all you would need is an AA degree at the minimum. Having a reef aquarium is definitely a plus.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

The only paper that is worth what it is written on is a university degree and even then I would question some of those that were able to obtain one. Your best tool in finding a good IT job is to show your ability to solve problems.

Creative problem solvers are those that get paid the "big bucks" as you are hoping to earn, but beware that luck plays into this equation too. Being in the right place, at the right time will boost your ability to earn.

To be honest, in the hiring process, I discount those that have MCSEs and the like. A university education shows me that the prospect can stick it out to achieve a goal and possibly has learned the basic art of problem solving and critical thinking.

My opinion, an English major will get you farther, faster. No matter the field. People with a command of the English language are far and few. Minor in something important like Math or Philosophy. Apply that combo to a tech job and mind... WOW!
Old 11/26/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSandman
If you know anything about electronics i.e. reading schematics, using o-scopes, multimeters, Ohm's Law, DC theory, etc., you can come work for me.

We've had an opening in my company for this position for over a year and we can't fill it. Its the best job in the world and all you would need is an AA degree at the minimum. Having a reef aquarium is definitely a plus.
ah only multimeter usage has been for some DIY automobile work...so I don't think that would work...

I've wanted to go back to school for the longest time...but it's so hard with my work schedule...I'd only get to take 1 or 2 classes at MOST per semester...which would mean it would definitely take more than 2 years to get out of junior college =(

JeffersonReef: That intern story was hilarious! BTW that chaeto you gave me worked pretty quick...I think within two weeks my nitrates shot down to 0.

Thanks again for all the advice fellas!
Old 11/26/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

My boss is making around 250k a year and dropped out in the tenth grade. Its sad to see "expensive" college graduates finish college only to make a misery and or struggle to find a long lasting career.

If my boss would have schooled some more after HS he can easily be making x5 what hes making.

Combine both experience and education and your golden man. Anyone can define the odds of whatever your upbringing is, just stay determined and do what you love to do at the end.

I probably have no say in this since I'm only 19, but I'm very observant and it is what it is.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Forgot to say my boss is only 26 years old.
Old 11/26/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

818 - Sounds like your boss is a salesman...Sales and marketing seem to be the big money makers without a degree but it's a hustle.

I would complete your degree but definitley decide on what you want to be before you waste time on poorly picked classes.

Look into engineering like civil engineering. They are in low supply and in high demand and looks to be a secure field in the long run. They'll start you off at $60K easily. Most engineering jobs pay the best starting salaries. And if your niche is PC's then get into Software or Computer engineering and you'll be that much ahead of the game.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 818
Forgot to say my boss is only 26 years old.
what does your boss do?
Old 11/27/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 818
Its sad to see "expensive" college graduates finish college only to make a misery and or struggle to find a long lasting career.
What's the ratio of people in that condition with a degree versus those without one?!
Old 11/27/2007, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

Get your degree. This will get you in the door, after that it's up to you to prove your worth !
Old 11/27/2007, 01:32 AM
Network Samurai

1) Finish the degree.... even part time.. just FINISH it. It will open door much more than just an MCSE. Things have changed since the late 90's where certified folks could just walk into ANY job and make at least 60k.

2) Put yourself through school doing what you like, or at least something close to it. I put myself through school with a CNA, CNE under my belt... call it good timing, but when Novell was on its way out, there was a big shortage. Get the MCP / A+ / CCNA to get into an entry level job while going to school.

3) Dont be ashamed of taking a long time to finish your degree. It took me 10 years to finish my degree. Getting married 1/2 way through and flunking out of my first school didnt help. But I NEVER took a semester off. I would advise the same.

4) Do everything you can remotely related to your degree. Dont be too choosy. Everyone in I.T. does "desktop jockey" work and its the only way you will gain people skills and make a name for yourself. If you just jump into an "engineer" title it wont look good without experience behind it.

I have 12 years in this industry. At this point I find myself in my dream job as a Senior Network Engineer. I have no regrets about my past. Sure things could have gone more smoothly had I finished my degree sooner, or not have been married. But when I graduated I had 8 years of I.T. experience already so a $75k+ job was easier to find. This year I might just break 6-figures.

I have a Computer Science Degree from Cal State Long Beach, a CCNP, and I plan on going forward with a CCSP and eventually a CCIE in routing/switching or security.

Just PLEASE dont quit school.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Agree

I agree, finish a degree.
Pick whatever you like the most because you will be doing it for the rest of your life...

Do not think how much you wil be making in 2 years, instead look into 10 years... that will give you a better picture.

And it is true... It is not how much money you make, but how much you get to keep