Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Help Feeding Sun Coral

I've got both a black and orange small frag of a sun coral and I need help feeding it. I've been using a small syringe with small bits of Rod's Food and tank water. After about a week now, they are slowly opening. I've been trying to feed them every other day in the evening when I get home. The problem I've having is keeping the other fish shrimp and snails away. I have 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and 8 sand sifting snails.

Each time I feed them, they all come running and sometime the snails are crawling on the sun corals. I also tried covering them with clean pop bottle and that works, but as soon as I remove the bottle, there is every again picking up the leftovers.

I'm wondering if this is ok or should I be doing something else. The coral is slowly starting to open especially once lights go out so I'm guessing it is slowly getting used to things, but I want to make sure it will be ok in the long run.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

If your tank can handle more bioload - feed them before feeding sun coral, and then - let them have a feast during feeding - squirt a little aside.

What my fish is doing during sun coral feeding - is on the video at the bottom of sun coral feeding page: http://defineyourreef.freehostia.com...s/sunfeed.html ( free host doesn't allow hotlinking).

I'm not familiar with the Rod's food, is it something like small dots or more meaty pieces? I'm giving to mine starting from the mysis size and up.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

feed the coral after the lights are off about 2 hours..keep lights off while feeding.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I would continue to feed it with the bottle to get it nice and healthy. Most suncorals at LFS aren't very healthy. Try and feed daily if possible. As dendro stated try and feed the fish first. I feed my suncorals mysis (soaked with selcon) blackworms, live brine shrimp (not often) cyclops and formula one flakes. And always rinse your food before feeding.