Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

AquaController JR or ReefKeeper II??

Which is everyone using, how do you like it, and what are the differences between the two? it is my next upgrade so doing my research.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:14 AM
I'll be here all week

I would go with the RK.

I like their temp probe setup MUCH better. IMHO its much more reliable and better made, temp swings are a common tank nuker in this hobby so pay close attention to that detail.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

AQjr will allow more circuits, at least last I chek rk was limited to about 6-8 iirc. Ive got the AQjr and love it, best purchase ive made in the hobby.
Old 11/23/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

What do you mean by circuits? One big thing is how many plugs does each come with? I want something that will handle all of my plugs so that i can get rid of my disaster area of plugs and timers I have now. I don't need anything real complex, just temp, pH, some timers, etc..
Old 11/23/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

I know there has to be more people using one of these, definately need the help choosing.
Old 11/23/2007, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I like the Jr. I does everything I want. It can grow as your needs do.

there is a comparison thread on here somewhere. I will see if I can find it.
Old 11/23/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

circuit= controllable plug. Look into it but I think the RK comes with one set of 6or 8 and thats it. The AQjr comes with its 6-8 plugs and can have another few added, I really forget how many though.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeatjac
I like the Jr. I does everything I want. It can grow as your needs do.

there is a comparison thread on here somewhere. I will see if I can find it.
Here you go...
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=997688
Old 11/26/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

The RK2 is expandable, you can add as many circuits as you want. (It comes with 8 BTW)
I have been using one for close to a year and am very happy with it, no problems at all. One of the nice things about it is that it has upgradable software. Every so often Digital Aquatics will release an update and you plug the controller into your computer and update it... they have had some cool ones, too. I don't think you can do this with the AQ Jr., but I may be mistaken. I have also heard and seen first hand that the temp probes on the AQ can go out, the one I saw read about 25 degrees higher than actual temp.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acwilson
The RK2 is expandable, you can add as many circuits as you want. (It comes with 8 BTW)
They must have changed something then, I know when I spoke with them they had no add on modules for extra circuits, thats what lead me to the AQjr, it allows up to two expansion modules. It also allows X-10 devices as well. Either controller will most likely serve you well though. If you get AQjr be sure to get aquanotes with it, very cool to be able to download daily and look. FYI with the serial version of the aQjr and aquanotes you CAN set it to send email alarms as long as your computer is on and has a internet connection, thats a handy feature most other controllers only have with the ethernet versions which add a bit to the cost.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

I just looked at RK2's website the other day and noticed that they added some software (you can download for free) that lets you get emails and setup a webcam to see your tank remotely (like I need something else to waste my time)