Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 12:12 PM
reef girl

Exclamation zoa eating nudibranchs, need advice badly and quickly

so I have noticed over the past few weeks that several colonies of my zoas have been irritated and closed up, been keeping an eye on it but not close enough I guess, today however upon much much closer examination I found several nudibranchs crawling around these colonies, My plan was to fresh water dip each colony, but unsure for how long the dip should take or if maybe there is a better way to rid myself of these pests, all in all I would say I have about 25 diff colonies of zoas I can easly remove to dip, any suggestions? these nudis are about the size of rice or even smaller

thanks in Advance
Angela

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 11/25/2007, 12:32 PM
Moved On

Try a wrasse. Zoas dont respond well to FW dips. I have a yellow Coris wrasse and he took care of my nudibranch problem.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:39 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowwatchmen
Zoas dont respond well to FW dips.
Uhh ok? I dont know where you pulled that piece of information from.

Ive FW dipped my zoanthids plenty of times with no ill effects. Please follow this link below. It has a step by step procedure on the FW dip and a bunch of other helpful information.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=451720
Old 11/25/2007, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

As far as I know FW dip and proper quarantine are the only way to deal with the nudis. I dip in FW for 5-10 minutes (close to the same temp) with TMPCC or Reef Dip depending on which I have on hand. Then I rinse the zoos under clean FW swishing them back and forth to knock any nudis off that I can. Check for the little egg swirls and remove them. Then they go into the QT and I repeat this several times per week over several weeks. Keep an eye on the zoos to make sure you arent being to hard on them but I've never lost a colony using this procedure. I have lost them to the nudis BEFORE I started doing this.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:56 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Great Job AquaReeferMan to keep up with the Mucho Reef thread on nudi's. I lost track of it and am happy to see it again

I followed that thread when fighting my own zo eating nudi problems and it worked great.

I still had to be on the lookout with the turkey baster for a while to pull out nudi's and egg clusters but finally they disappeared.

Good luck Purple Penguins. Dip those zoanthids and whoosh them around good in the freshwater to blow off every nudibranch you can.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:58 PM
Moved On

i had a green coris wrasse that took care of the problem.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

fresh water dipping will help but it wont kill all of them.
Old 11/26/2007, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

I've read that FW dipping will kill the live ones, but the eggs will survive. No direct experience though.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

fw dips do work........ and yes they will kill all of them.
that thread is a good read
Old 11/26/2007, 08:19 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

The dips don't kill the eggs, but kill the live ones. If you read the thread, you see you need to do multiple dips. It also helps to look them over and pull egg clusters off with tweezers if you can find them.

Finally, even after going through the dipping routine, there was still a period of tiime where I would watch out for them and suck them up with a turkey baster every time I found one.

If you're diligent you can get them all, but it takes a while.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:34 AM
reef girl

so I did a 5-10 min freshwater dip last night and saw many more dead nudis than I thought I had, also ran to wally world and bought the cheapest softest toothbrush I could find and gently scrubbed all of them and whoosed them around in the orig freshwater and then in another bucket of clean freshwater, today I have to go pickup a plate coral for another tank I have on hold, and thought of maybe getting a wrasse as well, think a six line would help? also worried about a six line or any wrasse for that matter, would it eat my feather dusters? which is ok I guess since I'll just move them to a diff tank, was unable to put the zoas in QT since I dont have one set up at the moment, but hope to get a wrasse and do more dips to be sure, what a nightmare these little buggers are.

Thanks Again
Angela

Old 11/26/2007, 08:45 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

six line's are ornery little buggers but are pretty and active fish.

Personally, I wouldn't get a fish unless it was a fish you wanted anyway and fit in with the other tankmates.

If you stick with the dips and keep them going on time, you'll get them.

btw ... as far as zo's and freshwater. When I was doing the dip thing I got distracted and accidentally left one colony in the freshwater for at least 30 minutes and I think even more. The colony looked a little wimpy for a while but bounced back and did fine. Not that I'd recommend that.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:26 AM
saltwater in my veins

My yellow coris cleaned them out in about a week. One of my favorite fish to boot, the most gracefull swimmer I have seen in a tank. Much better behaved and better looking than a six line. It gets along with every fish, zero problems.

FW dips etc.. do not work from my research, they always seem to come back in waves. A persistant 24/7 hunter like H. genus wrasse may be a solution, if only to keep them at almost 0 forever. Another nice thing about them, is they are a frontline defense to almsot every single pest....

Last edited by HBtank; 11/26/2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

I agree the combo of my coris and a turkey baster to suck those little demons took care of the whole clan
Old 11/26/2007, 11:14 AM
25 Characters is Not Enou

Quote:
Originally posted by AquaReeferMan
Uhh ok? I dont know where you pulled that piece of information from.

Ive FW dipped my zoanthids plenty of times with no ill effects. Please follow this link below. It has a step by step procedure on the FW dip and a bunch of other helpful information.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=451720
AMEN!

Follow the dip instructions on the link.
Also, you can "vaccuum" the nudis you see off.

Fresh water (with a little lugol's) will solve your problem.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Try a wrasse. Zoas dont respond well to FW dips. I have a yellow Coris wrasse and he took care of my nudibranch problem.
All of the pictured zoos were freshwater dipped and I think
they'll be allright

Pay no attention to the hair algae.

You should dip every new colony and you'll be amazed how
many little critters (mainly nudis) you'll get out of even the
smallest colonies.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:22 AM

Old 11/26/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I FW dip ever single zoanthid that goes into my tank. It will remove absolutly any pest. It wont get the eggs, but thats what visual inspection and qt is for.

If you don't you end up with problems. The FW dip is priceless with zoanthids.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 11/26/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Zoas dont respond well to FW dips.
This is just plain false. I've dipped many zoanthids in FW, often for 5-15 minutes and have never had any die as a result of it. FW dips do kill the nudibranchs, but leaves the eggs alive. You need to manually scrape them off the frags.

If you can't dip your zoanthids, I'd try a Halichoeres genus wrasse. The Yellow Coris Wrasse, despite the name, is in the Halichoeres genus, not in the Coris genus. I had success with a juvenille neon wrasse (Halichoeres garnoti) that I paid $10 for. He was constantly inspecting the zoanthid frags, pecking at things within them and flipping the frags over (which is irritating, but necessary).
Old 11/26/2007, 05:30 PM
Moved On

sorry guys for the bad info. I heard that somewhere and I just stuck to it. Thanks for proving me wrong. I will probably try dipping my zoos in FW since I just saw a nudi on them last night.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:20 PM
reef girl

spanglish,
great tank, love the colors with your zoas

right now mine are still mostly closed up and not very happy, this morning they looked as thought they were all going to open, however when I came home from work they were all closed up and not very happy, after work I picked up a six line wrasse and will see how that helps with the situation, also love the colors of this wrasse, in a week I plan on another freshwater dip along with using Revive (love that stuff) makes little creepy crawlys just vacate with a quickness.

Yellowwatchmen,
good luck with your nudibranchs hope things go well and sucks your about to go through the same nightmare as me.

Angela

Old 11/26/2007, 08:26 PM
reef girl

close up of a couple of colonies, as you can see I to have some hair algae (thank goodness one in background is my only bit)

Old 11/26/2007, 08:29 PM
reef girl

once this is all over with the evil little nudis I will have to take new pics of newer colonies I havent taken much for pics lately

Old 11/26/2007, 09:50 PM
reef girl

havent been able to find any clear answers on if a six line would eat a full size hawiian feather duster, so just out of safety issues I have moved it over to a diff tank, if anyone else has any input on this would be great, the wrasse is only about 3/4 of a inch so just a little guy