Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

I spoke with Kevin on Wednesday when I went to pick up my new fish. We need to pick two dates in March and then let him know and we can go from there. Should we just shoot for the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month? Once we get the dates ironed out we can work on the other arrangements. A trip to F & S is always a great time!

Lisa
Old 11/24/2007, 02:03 AM
:::===( @ | }

Lets do that, 1st or 3rd weekend in March (my weekend off )

Then Ill host the February meeting
Old 11/24/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

we're game
Old 11/24/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

the third would be better for us but we can work around it
Old 11/24/2007, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

trip

this should be fun ill have my money that uncle sam is borrowing. do they just have livestock their or do they have dry goods to. (same price as the internet but no shipping or wait?)
Old 11/24/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

I can't make the 1st sat in march, but can the 3rd. please, please, please don't make it the 1st sat of the month...
Old 11/24/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

the 1st or the 15th would work for me.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Either weekend will work for me! J I may need to ask you for a favor on this one! If its either one of them my wife will probably be with me and we will actually be staying in Rhinelander overnight!

Eric
Old 11/24/2007, 11:35 PM
Eye on our reefs

1st works for me. 3rd is questionable.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:23 AM
Burned Out

I can try to come along. Depends on the weekend.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:52 AM
Brighter the better

i think the 3rd weekend would work well for us. so far it looks like the 3rd weekend is winning. i bet that make you happyer siropa
Old 11/25/2007, 04:08 PM
hookt on fonix

Bummer, I have to work those weekends.
Maybe I can work something out to get off for the 15th and 16th.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

are we going on saturday or sunday??
Old 11/25/2007, 06:16 PM
hookt on fonix

Its Sat., only reason I posted the 16th is due to the fact that I will more than likely stay overnight in Rhinelander because I am 4 hours away and will just make a weekend out of it.
Did not mean to confuse anyone, sorry if I did.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I've never been to Fosters & Smith. Is the Divers Den open on a walk-in retail basis or just online? Or is the tour the only thing "special" about a meet there?

What do they have in the store vs. their site? Supplies, tanks ("big" tanks?), fish, corals, rock, etc... Is it safe to assume that if it's on their site, that it's in Rhinelander?
Old 11/26/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

I believe anything aquacultured or WYSIWYG is in Rhinelander and everything else is in LA (probably at the facility the acquired when they bought Flying Fish Express a few years ago).
Old 11/26/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

DFS has their retail store just a short distance from the Coral Farm. Just about anything that is in their catalogs if they have it in the warehouse(also on the same property) they will pull for you and bring it up to the retail store...the bonus(no shipping!)

If you've never been there...it's definately worth the visit. The coral farm has recently been remodeled with a huge addition and houses all of the Divers Den items as well as all of DFS's aquacultured items. Getting a private tour of the facility is a great thing. One that you will not want to miss. Kevin, Steve and the rest of the staff that will be there on a Saturday to ensure that your day is a great one are very helpful and full of knowledge. It will also give you a great understanding of how well these people care about their livestock and husbandry practices and their dedication and care for the betterment of the hobby.

I would say that anyone that can make it...come! I know first hand even after seeing the farm every month as we hold our meetings there that it never ceses to amaze me!
Old 11/27/2007, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

The meeting is set up for Saturday the 15th of March. There will be a raffle. You will be able to purchase Diver's Den items. Normally this is on-line only. Dry goods can be ordered a few days in advance. You must call customer service at least 2 days prior to the meeting and have them take a hand order. Tell them you will pick it up Saturday at the retail store in Rhinelander. This has already been cleared through the retail store and they will hold your items there for you.

Tentative list of attendees (I realize many of these are two-somes) -

ebrander
Bri-Guy
cubsare1
siropa
MSU Fan
labrec06
stevelkaneval
muelpaul
gooch
Bryan J
Custom Color
sunfish11
Limpit

We will get a better count together as we get closer to the event. As specsirl said this is a great opportunity and a good time will be had by all! I am hoping for a excellent turnout.

Lisa
Old 11/27/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by specsirl [/i]
DFS has their retail store just a short distance from the Coral Farm. Just about anything that is in their catalogs if they have it in the warehouse(also on the same property) they will pull for you and bring it up to the retail store...the bonus(no shipping!)
Cool - this is what I was hoping to hear. Looks like the tank(s) (#2 is a 90gal that was going to be discus - but changed my mind to a FOWLR with predators) may be fast tracked and I'm thinking of running to DFS this weekend to do some shopping. Probably won't anything for the reef tank yet - going to wait until January when I have a week off of work.

I see for the meet it says to call 2 days in advance for drygoods. If I go this weekend, I'll (probably) just be shopping for drygoods for the FOWLR. Do I have to call the order in? Or should I know exactly what I want/need? Or is it an actual retail store for drygoods? Just trying to fully understand what I'm walking into. To me when I hear "retail store" I think of an actual retail store with salesmen to answer questions, etc.... But if it's JUST a warehouse pick-up and I need call in advance or have a wishlist when I walk in the door, I want to be sure I have one.

Plan for me for the meet. Maybe my wife too - that's far enough out where she should be able to plan for it. Sounds like an interesting day!
Old 11/27/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

They don't have that much in stock in the retail store either dry goods or fish/coral. You also pay more than the internet prices. Your best bet is to know what you want, call customer service, and get the hand written order, tell them when you can pick it up and get the internet pricing. Shipping may be less than gas.

Lisa
Old 11/27/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Im in and it is the day after my B-day so maybe i will have money then
Old 11/27/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

awesome! can't wait.

sunfish, for the divers den purchasing, how does it work? is it look in the tank, get a price and buy? I know when taking the tour during the frag swap I saw way too many things that way and it would have been awesome to buy some like that.
Old 11/28/2007, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siropa
awesome! can't wait.

sunfish, for the divers den purchasing, how does it work? is it look in the tank, get a price and buy? I know when taking the tour during the frag swap I saw way too many things that way and it would have been awesome to buy some like that.
Just like that. They will then invoice you and pull and pack your order for your trip home. As I said before...this is a wonderful opportunity! Take advantage of it!
Old 11/28/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Man that is going to be so much trouble

Better start saving the pennies now.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siropa
Man that is going to be so much trouble

Better start saving the pennies now.
Here, here! I hope they stock lots of styros knowing this group!

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)