Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

my blasto is not opening up

hi i got this blasto for about two month now sittin inside my 12g nano 48w pc light. the blasto open up nicely for about a week but now its been close up. need some help, whats the reason behind it? Everything is doing fine in my tank. here is a pic of the blasto

the blasto is located right in the middle of the picture.
Old 11/20/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

try giving it a little more light. Mine did that when I moved into a bit of shadow, so I moved it again and it totally opened.
Old 11/21/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

More light in the lower, that at the top of the tank, flow.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Light is not the answer. Turn off circulation and spray a nutritious food mixture onto the polyps and tell me what happens. Was it open when you bought it? I don't think you bought a healthy specimen(merletti there). Blastos need to be fed IME.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

I feed my damaged blasto merletti together with sun coral, in a separate container. But there was low light.

After I moved it to the tank with direct sunlight, it started to recover faster, even with less mysis. But tank was fed few times a day by cyclop eeze and food for filter feeding cucumber.

My guess will be, that the both are important. And the hight flow will cause them close.
Old 11/22/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

My blasto aqtually started dying because i gave it to much light. What worked for me was moving into the shade, and letting it sit for about a week, then just moving it a bit closer to direct light every few weeks. it was a slow process which took about 3 weeks, but i lost one polyp

this picture is of it when it was in direct light, and not opening up all the way

Old 11/22/2007, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

They like a little bit of flow, and to be on the bottom of the tank. Feeding will help too. I would stop touching and moving it out of the tank to feed it. Every time you do that it will recede and show it's skeleton.

Old 11/23/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Amount of light:
mine was in NanoCube 6 with 18W PC, tank depth 12". That was no way enough. In feeding box with sun coral - 20W 50-50 screw-in lamp, not enough. The highest light provided was direct sunlight from the southern window, Canada, several hours a day, not 400W MH

The changes were from this:

to this:

Touching:
it really don't like it, especially if pressed hard and skeleton pokes into the soft tissue. Mine has conical tubes 1.5" long below the polyps - no problem when moving. But new mounted frag is moved by touching support only.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

dendro982 how did you get rid of the Aiptasia on that rock. It looks like that had something to do with it.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Looks like the Blasto M. overgrew the aipstasia bc you can still see it in the new pic, lower left. That stuff can be a pain. Copperbanded butterfly fish are the best IMO for getting rid of it, but diffcult to feed afterwards. I recommend borrowing CBBs until the anemones are gone and then passing them along or trading them in (sometimes eat LPS)
Old 11/23/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Lower left are yellow polyps, just in shade . But I still have aiptasia, appearing periodically in the tank.

What not to do with aiptasia on Blasto merletti - do not use vinegar, it kills polyps. I used Joes Juice with precision tip on the syringe. When aiptasia returned, applied again. The problem is, that the aiptasia was actually under the polyp and aside - and it hides after moving coral - had to draw its location and apply by drawing
Old 11/24/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

thats a real nice blasto dendro
Old 11/24/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

So what steps did you end up taking sorjai? and how is the blasto doing?