Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 12:38 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Old 11/24/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

can't wait for the updates.
Old 11/24/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

HA!
Old 11/24/2007, 09:33 PM
Parrot head

grumpygils

Old 11/24/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
grumpygils

Is that a new welcome banner?

I kinda liked the old version.
Old 11/24/2007, 09:53 PM
Parrot head

Don't know about new, I've had it saved for awhile. I think it might be missing something though.

Do you have the one you're talking about? If so, post it.
Old 11/24/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

A update with pics!!!!!! No way..... Yess Welll Maybe.

Ok I have actually got a chance for a update. I will post some pics and captions and go through the plan. Is there a plan?????

Ok closet area to the left side of tank got the floor cut out of it today.

I put up my sheetrock and closed it in and drilled a pilot hole.

Got the sawzall and did a test cut to see how easy it would go.

Voila its got a square hole in it.

Downstairs looking up to the tank.

This is the brace on my house tank sets with one edge on this and I will put a concrete pad and posts to brace the Front side.

This is our excavation from earlier this year. This is the only thing I dread. Its about 8 by 8 on the top edge and I need to go to about 9 or 10 by 8 on the bottom edge. Its about 60% rock and some we have dug out we had to fulcrum out of the hole!!!!!! I am ready to use explosives to get this done..

Finally these are two 125 gallon containers I picked up. My thought was to use one as a sump and the other as my make up water for water changes. I have a 125gallon for my refugium and with these I am going to run out of space fast. I still need room for a QT tank a frag tank and a sink. So things may get creative. Any thoughts????? Would I like some room to grow. Heck yes. But the digging does not come easy!!!!!!.....

Any input with size this big and all your equipment in a 8 by 8 or a 8 by 10 room....... Give me a post...

Thanks for tuning in.
Mike
Old 11/24/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
Don't know about new, I've had it saved for awhile. I think it might be missing something though.

Do you have the one you're talking about? If so, post it.

OK I'll give it a try

[welcome]
Old 12/04/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Hello everyone.

A update with no pictures I know that is a boring update. Well let me tell you about digging rocks its boring rather labor intensive makes the back hurt and I'm not sure about the satisfaction part yet.. But I have made headway its probably about two cubic yards of hand labor intensive digging but none the less its progress.

My access to the room downstairs has been brainstormed and I think I made it harder than I thought. I did not want a ladder to have to climb up and down on and there is no stairs that will work. SOooooo I am going to take some 3 inch 3/8 angle two sticks weld them about 14 to 20 inches apart and build me a platform with rollers that will slide on the angle. I can get a harbor freight 880 pound 110volt winch and put it on some cable rollers and use it to raise the platform from the top level to the bottom fish room. Slick eh!!! It will only be slick if I can make it work.

One of my issues with my tank was the lack of overflow on it. It only has a 6" internal overflow I felt was not enough. I sent a e-mail to Scott at aquaticacrylics aka (Spazz) about building me a overflow box. He has communicated and even called me on the phone and we spent a good 1hr if not more discussing my design. HE IS A GOD OF KNOWLEDGE. Large systems are daunting to some me included. He spent a great amount of time talking to me and helping me understand what it will take to make my system run. Thanks again Scott (Spazz) I know the overflow will be awesome. I look forward to upsizing my system to a Tornado skimmer once I get the load in it and the systems got some time on it.

I hope to be done with the excavation by end of next week then I can put walls up and get going.

Thanks for tuning in.

Mike
Old 12/04/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the update. I'm glad to see that you are making progress.

I guess I don't understand why all of this is going down in the ground. Is that a large crawl space? Why don't you just have it above ground either in the closet or under the stand?
Old 12/04/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Howdy mskohl.

Yes it's my crawl space. Crawl space had about 4 to 4 1/2 feet of headroom to begin with and for the amount of stuff I wanted in my fish room there was not a close area that would house all of it. We have eliminated the two odd doors to our bedroom and made another entrance. One of these entries was right next to the tank and it allowed me to make this access to the underside of the house without going outside though the outdoor access. I will have a 125gallon sump. 2-40gallon tanks one qt and one frag. and those two 125 gallon storage containers. These will allow me to make up 125 gallon of rodi water at a time and do a 3-5 gallon change a day. Also if the tank or something in the loop goes haywire I will be able to drain the tank into these holding tanks and sump fix the problem and refill without losing any water or having to add 100-200 gallons of new saltwater. Could I have done differently??? Sure!!!! But this was the easy solution versus my alternatives. Allows me to have a gravity overflow and not have to pump my water to and from my sump and gives me one location for messes. There will be a sink for cleaning stuff and the wife will not have to sacrifice her kitchen sink for me to clean my filters in any more.

Its a huge amount of work but I believe it will pay off big in the long run.

Thanks for looking and sharing.......

Mike

mskohl...Where is Vinita, OK my great grandmother was from Gate OK a little town in the panhandle of your state. If you blinked there you would miss it.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

cant wait to see this thing filled! im subbing to this thread asap

>>Click The Red House To See My Solana 34 Gal All In one Build<<
Old 12/04/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for explaining.

Vinita is in the NE corner of the state. I'm about an hour from Tulsa and 45 min from Joplin, MO. Gate, OK would be about 4 hours.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

Well I had good intentions tonight about coming home and uugghh digging some more. But I looked on craigslist on saturday and the gentlemen called me and said he still had live rock for 1.00 a pound. huh?? Wow I'll be over this afternoon. So a truckin I did go. Get to his house and he has a 72 gallon bowfront that been on the downside for a while. Guys name is Mike Wow coincidence huh We Mike's are nice guys I know I am one So I asked him what he is going to do with the tank. He says well I list it on craiglist to. How much. Oh about $250.00 he says. And well I bought it all. hehe I have a 46 gallon column with (Leo) the Lionfish (Ron) the Maroon Clown (Spike) Blue Damsel (Stripe) The Yellow Striped Damsel and (Props) The Puffer Fish.

They are a little cramped. So this is going to be there new home. I don't want them to go to the 300 tank just due to thier nature and what I want to put in the tank won't be thier friends.

Not bad for a total of $275.00. Came with about 60 pounds of live rock. A skimmer that needs a new pump. Some power compacts and some powerheads. A 20 qt tank and other misc. stuff.

Now tommorrow I can hook up this and start filling it.

I have never used one of these till now and the 46 has always gotten tap mix water. So this will be a big improvement for all.

I am thinking he will be happier.

So maybe Thursday night and Friday night I can start digging again.

Till next time. Keep the tank wet and the carpet dry.

Mike
Old 12/05/2007, 07:00 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

The elevator to your fish room idea is too cool!
Old 12/05/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Wow, I'm surprised Ron, Spike and Stripe haven't been renamed breakfast, lunch and dinner by now!!
Old 12/05/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 72olds455
Mine is a Cutlass S and is also still being built, it has the following. 455 .030 over C heads ported and polished, flat top forged pistons, cam with 245 lift torker intake, Demon 850 carb, super comp headers, 250 shot of nitrous, fully upgraded suspension, and eaton posi with 3.90 gears. It should be a monster

My other car is a 68 GTO convertible that I havent started on yet.
i sooo foooolish!! back in '94 i gave away '70 dodge challenger r/t big block to bike store owner for $1600 in bike parts rebuilt motor, trans, suspension etc......
Old 12/09/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Looking Great, one of a kind
Old 12/09/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Just wondering........ doing all this under the house are you building a room under there or leaving it dirt ?
Old 12/10/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Howdy everyone,

Hello chainsaw5vent, I will see if I can post some pictures of the Rods we built this year and a few of our own here at the house. Anybody tell me how to link a album for photobucket to here I'll post the link for them if your interested.

Hello firechief, I don't know how to post the little banner but I see this was your first post in Reef central land.

So
Welcome

and dont let this be your last post to my thread.

Bax... hopefully it works and you wont have to read my wife typing in the elevator broke and all is lost.

Hi tanya72806, A answer to your question. This will be a built room under my house framed out and walled. This is probably the most work in doing the tank and there is a huge amount of labor involved. But I'm not complaining......much

And if I could do one thing at a time I would get done sooner but this is part of our kitchen remodel which came after our entry redo which was right after our upstairs remodel. So there is never a dull moment here. This going on our second year in the house we have not had a dull moment yet. The first 8 wks after we moved in I built a 3000 sq ft shop on the adjoining lot so I could finish our hot rods we had in stages of completion. Well no sooner than the walls were up and we have not had a break building other peoples cars.

I am still digging little here and there. So slow going and there is just no way I am giving in on a smaller size room. When I take the sheets of 4 by 8 drywall downstairs I am going to have to break out some window bricks along the foundation and cut a little so I can get the full sheets down there. I think the tanks going to be the easy part.

I got the 72 all put up and running so its just a matter of a couple weeks till the boys in the 46 get there new home.

grallster... you hit it on the head when you said breakfast, lunch and dinner. Leo in his feeding frenzy has actually swallowed Ron halfway because Ron had a cube of food Leo wanted. We have learned to feed Leo first and the other guys give him a wide berth.

Well I hope the reading is enjoyful and the thread is good enough to keep posting and enjoying.

Till next time.
Mike

Old 12/12/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

any new pic updates of the tank?
Old 12/12/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

double post...
Old 12/12/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HarrsCars
[B]Howdy everyone,

Hello chainsaw5vent, I will see if I can post some pictures of the Rods we built this year and a few of our own here at the house. Anybody tell me how to link a album for photobucket to here I'll post the link for them if your interested.
Find the photo you want
copy the url from the heading IMG Code if you want a single photo.
paste in the thread exactly as is.
enjoy your photo

If you want the whole album go to your album and just copy the URL and post here.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

firechief

[welcome]

HarrsCars

To do a welcome type this without the spaces.

[ welcome ]

Go ahead and give it a try and remember no spaces.

HTH
Old 12/12/2007, 07:26 PM
Parrot head

To Reef Central

It works!!! Alot easier too!