Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Delusional seller on ebay....

About 3 weeks ago I purchased 2 Ranco controllers on ebay from the seller Thermalresources .

Took quite a bit of time to recieve the items, I had to send 2 emails to ask where they were, if they were sent yet, etc..

Items arrive, work great.

2-3 days ago I get an email to leave feedback for them, and they will do the same. Well, as someone that uses ebay somewhat frequently (300+ feedbacks), I have a problem with a seller wanting me to leave feedback as a buyer before they do. Thermal know darn well that I may leave a neutral feedback based on the time (auction said 3 day priority), so he/she wants me to leave feedback first.

I wrote a short email explaining that I had paid within minutes of winning the auction, and that my part was done. If they wanted me to leave feedback, they would need to leave it for me first as I fulfilled my end of the auction right away.

Guy comes back in a threatening and demeaning tone telling me I'm lucky I recieved any items at all, that I have "life issues", etc... They are powersellers (4000+'s) and me leaving a negative is only going to hurt my feedback (because they will retaliate.....I looked and someone last week left a neutral for them, they responded with derogatory comments and a neg for him).

So instead of messing up my ebay feedback, I just wanted to share that with you all. Had I know this guy/company was a large tool shed, I would have gladly paid a bit extra. I'm fairly sure that had I had a problem or issue with the item, I wouldn't have gotten any help from them

YMMV.
Old 11/23/2007, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

I've run into the same issues also. I wish Ebay would make it so that the seller can't post a neutral or negative feedback just because they received one. I had a seller try and leave me a negative because I left him one even though I purchased the product by using "Buy it Now"
Old 11/24/2007, 10:53 AM
Moved In

I think this is a growing problem. I will not leave feedback to any seller until I see feedback from them first. I also have had people bully me to leave it first, and it's usually people who aren't that good at shipping. Another reason I don't put a lot of store in feedback anymore either.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/24/2007, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

As a seller myself, i can't count how many times i have bent over backwards to protect my feedback from sellers and buyers like this.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Then don't leave any feedback at all, no harm no foul. Not going to hurt them any and they won't (assuming here) hurt you. It's this kind of "stuff" that will keep me from using that auction service, ever. It promotes contrived feedback with no basis in honesty so feedback cannot be necessarily counted on in good faith.

JMO,
James
Old 11/26/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Point was James, that the guy is saying he's going to leave me a negative UNLESS I leave him a positive. He's got over 4000+ feedbacks, so one negative doesn't even show up on his account, whereas it will on mine.

Hopefully ebay will take care of it, and no, it's not the end of the world either. Just a heads up for future buyers.....
Old 11/26/2007, 11:33 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I don't worry about the number next to my user name. If they screw me or are rude or don't ship the item or even give me a tracking number like I ask, they get a negative no ifs ands or buts.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:28 AM
Rubberman

I'm really surprised that a seller with 4000 FB would even mention feedback in any communication with a buyer. Feedback on eBay is strictly voluntary and most sellers understand that you should be careful what you ask for.

SteveU
Old 11/27/2007, 01:57 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Sounds like it's more of an ego thing than anything else for alot of the Ebay sellers. Ebay SHOULD use the honest negative feedbacks for some actual purpose but they don't. So many negatives should throw up an alarm at Ebay and then they should do some sort of an investigation even if the feedback is 99.99% positive. 800 negatives in that 99.99% should tell them something and they should investigate.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:52 PM
que sais-je

So send his threatening emails to ebay, see what happens.
Old 11/28/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I did. I don't really give a crap about the guy. I just don't want a negative on my almost perfect 300 record.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Moved On

You can go to eBay help pages and forward a copy of his email to eBay. If the seller gets 3 complaints, eBay will slap their hand. I don't know how many more complaints before they get certain privileges suspended, including powerseller's status. This is what I've heard from many friends who trade on eBay. Sounds like this guy got his 4000+ feedback from bullying buyers.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Theo,
Sorry, I guess I read your first post incorrectly. I thought it said he would not leave feedback until you do, which would imply if you don't leave him anything - he wouldn't either.

Good to know your parts work. Thanks for the heads-up though, I'll put the name on my British Hit List

James
Old 12/07/2007, 10:06 AM
SPS Freak

I personally don't leave feedback until the buyer does. Too many buyers out there that are idiots(not everyone) who leave negative feedback because there was a delay in shipping (carriers fault). I always politely ask them to leave feedback and I will do the same. I do also mention to contact me on any issues before leaving feedback. I've done this all the times and have 100% positive feedback. As a buyer, I always leave it first.

The whole point on the experience is the buyer leaves it first and then the seller can try to resolve the issue. If the buyer is a jerk about it and is not reasonable on whatever the issue is, then the seller can leave negative as well. As far as retalitory(sp) feedbacks, I wish ebay would just do something for that. Luckily, I've never had issues and hopefully don't. I don't use ebay much but my wife sells our child's clothes occasionally.