Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

luner wrasse? are they dangerous?

I brought a small luner wrasse ( 3inch) on a impluse buy. I really like the adult coloring and sharp teeth sticking out.

I am scare that they can be dangerous to my other fishes now.

I currently have a 4 to 5 inch blue face and a pair of maroon clown in a 120 gallon tank.

The pair of maroon gold stride are very small, the male is only 1 inch and the female is 2 and 1/2 inch.

Thanks.
Old 11/21/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

My old lunar wrasse killed 3 of my bangaii cardinals, and left huge bite marks on my bannerfish, sailfin tang, and long nose butterfly.
Old 11/21/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

it all depends on your wrasse, they tend to be aggressive fish, but your fish shouldnt get pushed around easy, but it all depends, your wrasse could kill all 3 of them, even the blueface could be in trouble if your wrasse is real aggressive.

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans
Old 11/21/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

It will probably be fine for right now since it is so small, but I would make sure it is fed well just to minimize the chances that it goes after the male Clownfish.

I had one for about 3 1/2 yrs that was around 7-8" long and he didn't pick on any of the fish I had in the tank (huma trigger, sailfin tang, volitan lionfish) even though most of them were smaller than him. But I originally got him from a friend that had added him to his reef (without realizing he wasn't reef safe) and he had killed two of his smaller, slower fish.

So I think some of it just comes down to the individual fish, but you should be fine for now. Once it starts getting bigger then you may run into problems.
Old 11/21/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply

Just saw him run right into the male clown.

Don't know what to do with him now.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

I had a moon wrasse for 3 years and they are very active swimmers that can harrass your other fishes. I totally agree with the one post. Keep him feed with the likes of krill and other meaty meals. I recently bought a rainbow wrasse, it was a momentary weekness on my part. It is housed with a six bar angel, pink tail trigger and bristletooth tang. The rainbow wrasse is similar to the moon wrasse. I feel these wrasse should be with similar fish who can take care of them selves. I think your clown fish may be in trouble down the road when the wrasse gets big. Good luck.
Old 11/21/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

None of the fish you have will be in trouble. You have gone aggressive with your fish selection so you will be alright. Maroons are nasty suckers and the blue face will get big. Just remember for future reference that all the fish you add from now on have to be aggressive. Don't try to add semi-aggresive(smaller tangs, psuedocromis) or peaceful fish(firefish, anthias)to this collection or there might be problems. I have learned this the hard way.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:30 AM
Fish Wrangler

I have an 8" lunare and added an XL yellow tang to my tank last night. As soon as I turned the lights on this morning the lunare ATTACKED the yellow tang unlike anything I've ever seen. Picked its eye out in less than 5 seconds. Lucky for me I had a net there ready to get the tang out. So right now I have a one-eyed yellow tang in my sump that I dont' know what to do with. I hope it lives. This wrasse is seriously aggressive.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/22/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Ok, Jmcown

You just convince me the luner is out. Don't want to take a chance.

Does anyone have any suggestion what I can add to this tank?

How about a flame angel would that work?

Thank you
Old 11/22/2007, 10:17 PM
Fish Wrangler

The lunare is one of the most active and beautiful fish when adult coloration comes in, but after seeing what the thing done to the new yellow tang I am thinking of taking it out.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/25/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

i have a 10 inch male sunset wrasse that i took out today and brought to my lfs to hold because of its aggression it attacks any new additions and when it was taken to the lfs it was put in with some large equally aggresive fish and was still very bold, one of the groupers started picking on the wrasse as soon as it was put in but within seconds the wrasse turned on the heat and tore up the grouper quite badly. very beautiful but aggressive fish.
Old 11/26/2007, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

I used to own a luner wrasse and the minute he got settled in all hell broke loose. He killed 3 fish including a triggerfish and the worst part was that they are very slim and very quick so i could never catch him to remove him from the tank. Also they are very hardy and he outlived all the other fish in my tank. It was an irreversable disaster. Having said that however i believe fish are like people and you find some are nice and some are nasty so good luck
Old 11/26/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I have a large lunar with a niger trigger, huma huma trigger, spotted hawk, spotted grouper, yellow tang, PBT, porcupine puffer, large volitan, medium maroon clown, and a blue damsel. The lunar wrasse sometimes appears to be "playing" with the damsel. Some chasing, but no real aggression. His thing is to strike the surface of the tank when I walk by soaking and scaring the crap out me ( I cannot count how many times he has done it1)
Old 11/26/2007, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

will a lunar wrasse be nice to a cleaner wrasse?