Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 06:37 PM
I'll be here all week

Chelated Iron Shelf Life?

After some trouble shooting I've decided to start dosing Iron to see if I can see some improvements in my cheato color and growth along with a crazy theory on why my coraline shows up one month and dies off the next month after month.

I searched the web and found a case of 12 bottles of Kent chelated iron for $7 but it looks to be in older bottles. If these bottles are old do you think they will still be good.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:07 PM
Team RC Member

I don't know of any reason why the shelf life of chelated iron should be a problem as long as the containers have been sealed.

I say go for it as long as you can be assured the contents are as advertised.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:20 PM
I'll be here all week

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I don't know of any reason why the shelf life of chelated iron should be a problem as long as the containers have been sealed.

I say go for it as long as you can be assured the contents are as advertised.
Here is what I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=008

You chemistry guys are going to laugh at me, but my SPS system makes the most beautiful Blues, Pinks, Purples, Oranges & Reds but if you put a green piece in my tank it goes completely pale or more times than not it turns a shade of blue. I know from my yellowish cheato (that grows fast) that I have a low iron issue. I'm dosing to help my cheato and coraline, but I have strange hopes that this may be the problem with the green's in my SPS, that the zoozanthelle and cheato are fighting for the same elements.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:26 PM
Team RC Member

I'm not laughing at all.

Iron could be a good thing in your situation. And the seller has a 100% rating so I I think you should be OK.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

I don't see why it would go bad either. I do dose the Kent chelated iron once a week for my cheato and it is green and healthy. Mg I believe if low can produce the same yellowing.

I have the same problem in my tank with the greens in the montipora but not in the SPS. Maybe try a reef amino/ vitamin supplement. While I was gone on vacation one time some friends overfed my aquarium fish with a flake food that was high in vitamins and amino acids. The results were some bright and vivid greens and blues for some montipora, but not all of them. When I came back I reduced the feeding, and the colors faded a little. Since then I have begun to power the fish food and adding it to see if the colors return. Normally I feed my corals live phytoplankton, dried plankton, live SF hatched brine shrimp and golden pearls 50-100 um.

I have tried powdering a complex B vitamin one time and dissolving it in water. The tank did not respond and some corals appeared a little stressed.

Lights are 4 VHO 110W(2actinic, 1 aqua-sun, 1artic white) and 2 20000 Ushio 250watt.
Old 11/19/2007, 08:22 PM
I'll be here all week

My MG is in check at 1400, I've bought all the best equipment that I've known to buy for stability and consistancy (see sig).

There just seems to be something missing. Could be my feeding (almost 100% mysid just like DaddyJax), could be anything. It would be awesome if it was a simple as a missing element like Iron.