Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 04:04 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Might sound dumb, but taped to the top of the styro means inside the lid right?
depends. Ive been known to tape a few heat packs to the outside of the box if it is something like 30 where I live, and 80 or more where Im shipping to which can happen.

I dont want heat inside that box. I just want it to not lose any for the first half of the trip.

this is the only circumstance in which 12 hour heat packs make sense for me with the 1.5" thick walled coolers that I use. And they of course need wrapped in newspaper pretty well

this is the box i use most often https://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-9903
Old 11/19/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Anyone feeling like doing a write up with nice lil pics for the stupid people like me
Old 11/19/2007, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

I have a thread on here somewhere about my Fedex nightmare. They're still playing games with me trying to get me to go away. The alleged delivery date was in September, btw. If you're going to ship Fedex, it seems people have had a much greater success rate picking up at the depot or at least shipping to a business. If you're just a regular citizen, trust me, they don't give a *&$# about you.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by kev apsley
Ditto on the FedEx, I just went through a UPS sorting facility for a job interview and those guys are worst than Auto Assembly Workers and trust me that's bad! I use to be one I have had a few bad experiences with FedEx but I still prefer them over everybody else and DO NOT use the USPS!
Old 11/19/2007, 12:11 AM
King of the white corals

fed ex has not dropped the ball even ONCE in too many shipments to count for me

I wouldnt go anywhere else

Of course...i havent had to deal with the refund end of things under those circumstances

Sorry to hear you had problems though
Old 11/19/2007, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I'm OK with the fact that they lost the shipment. It happens. I'm very much NOT OK with the way they didn't bother to make a real effort to find it quickly, repeatedly lied to me about calling me back, lied to me about receiving the claim, lied to me about the status of the claim they supposedly didn't recieve, etc etc.

jds
Old 11/19/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Yes......taped to the top of the inside of the box on the lid. I suggest using a good packing tape. Humidity can cause other tapes to peel, particularly duct tape...not all the time but it can and when shipping a box of money that can die then I respect murphy's law.

Cool packs I just freeze a small water bottle of RO and wrap it extremely well..extremely well.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

two people already mentioned this, but its worth saying again.

i really like the idea of attaching the frag itself to styrofoam (IF the frag is small enough, large frags will sink the foam).

when i moved from NC to MN, i had to bag all my corals 1 day before we actually moved (we drove the whole distance, 26 hours in the car). all my stony corals (montipora, hammer coral, candy cane...) were tied to a chunk of styrofoam then bagged in a breathable bag. all the bags were put into the same box seperated by cardboard (i had my pair of clownfish, all my corals, few smaller peices of live rock, sea urchin, snails all in the same box). after i got to MN, took me another 10 hours to have my tank set up and ready for the animals.

in all, i guess i had my corals in a bag for over 48 hours and ALL my corals survived except for my xenia... my fish were fine too. the only thing i lost was my sea urchin and the xenia.

i feel that the success of my tank move is mostly on the breather bags, but the styrofoam kept the corals suspended the whole way.

i know this isnt really "shipping" but its darn close enough that i can join in.
Old 11/20/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Great info armagedon48

i have had a couple PM's about the styrofoam. I am guessing the styrofoam will always want to be up in the bag, but it could get suck on it's side right? Anyone have pictures?

so what do you do for larger colonies? I was thinking i should have wrapped the coral loosely with another plastic bag. My last shipment had broken tips when arrived.

still looking for info on thermos shipping. i don't see the styrofoam working here. if (when) turned, it would try to push the coral up into the container. so how do you dampen movement inside?
Old 12/06/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

This really is all great info. If i'm planning to ship from socal to norcal overnight and its in the seventies here and in the 40's there, How much should i wrap a 40hr heat pack?
Old 12/06/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

I wanted to know what are everyones thoughts on shipping clams???
Old 12/11/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

could someone send me a link to a website where I could buy...
-bags
-heatpacks
-packing peanuts
-boxes for shipping(just normal boxes...I'm going to line it with styrofoam that I'll cut to fit.)
(i've gotta ship out some stuff and need this stuff asap)
Old 12/12/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

shipping clams???? anyone???
Old 12/12/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Yes, heat packs also need to be wrapped. My main reason for wrapping the heat pack is so the paper will absorb "some" water should there be a small leak during shipping. If the heat pack gets wet its done. I also wrap my heat pack according to how much heat I need for that shipment. A lot of paper if I need a little heat and a little paper if I need a lot.

This is my source for heat and cold packs: http://superiorenterprise.com/

www.mrboxonline.com

www.packagingprice.com
Old 12/29/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

i know that marine depot live ships all in 1/3 water and 2/3 air and since they are a sponcer for reef central they should know how to ship frags or corals. if you need to ask more about it then ask them.