Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Damsels hosting Anemone?

I know some damsels (other than clownfish) will host anemones. Does the Domino damsel? If so, what anemone will they host?
Old 11/16/2007, 01:27 PM
will work for fish food!

More commonly seen in the wild, but I've seen pics of many dominos in nems.
But here's one for you, my green chromis adapted to both my nems.
Before I got my maroon all 6 of my chromis used to hang in my nems all the time.

Old 11/16/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Thats crazy... Any idea if Dominos can/will host BTAs?
Old 11/16/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/dominoelovesrose.htm
Old 11/16/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

i had a blue stripe host a condy, the domino tried....but the blue strripe was bigger and chased it away
Old 11/16/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Clownfish is a kind of Damsels. I'm not sure if Domino damsel will host tho.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Dear hobbyist, Domino Damsels will certainly host an anemone .Especially when they're juveniles . I didn't believe it either, until I saw it myself. After seeing this,I did some research and I found that these and some others do indeed host anemones for their own protection and may even spawn at the base of an anemone which they are a host to .
Old 11/16/2007, 09:53 PM
Hydrophilic

First- pet peeve of mine- The anemone hosts the clown. The clown doesnt host the anemone- lol...

That aside, yes, Dominoes will associate with a variety of anemones, as will a few other damsel species and some cardinals. Ive even heard rumors that when Banggaii Cardinals were introduced to the Lembeh Straits, they started to displace clownfish from their anemones.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 11/16/2007, 10:02 PM
Soul of a Sailor

All of the host anemone species except Heteractis malu and Cryptrodendrum can be hosts to domino damsels (note that the anemone does the hosting, not the clown). Chances of getting them to pair up are a lot better if you add the damsels when they're very young, and even then they will likely leave the anemone as they get older.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Dear hobbyists', thank you for the correction,yes the anemone does perform the hosting .When I first saw my pink tipped anemone hosting domino damsels, I thought that they'd be consumed . My first thought was that the skin of damsels didn't produce as much mucus as the clown fish do .But I'm learning that , nature has away of allowing each species of marine creature to evolve and co-exist . For example, the harlequin tusk eats crustaceans. I have a HT ,living with my coral banded shrimp who acts as a cleaner and hasn't been eaten at all . My Ht is 6" while the Cbs is only 3" . ( symbiosis ) .