Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 12:42 AM
Buttfish Pioneer

Ocean Runner Pumps BITE!

That's about it. I am tired of these crappy pumps. I'm sorry I ordered another one.

If you turn them off, pray they come back ON!

Return pump: OR2500: Never clogged (no way anything like sand gets that far in my sump through the dividers). Moved aquarium, ok, cleaned it anyhow (nothing to speak of) and set it back up... Shut it down every now and again for routine maintenance of my overflow. Last time I shut it down. Well, it was the last time. Pump never restarted. Cleaned, still didn't work. Ordered a new one. (yes, that one works... for now. )

CL pump: OR3500: Same deal. Shut it down less routinely. Runs from a CL fed from 2" down in my tank (again, no sand or anything goes through the grate filter.) Shut it down a few weeks ago and couldn't restart it. Took it apart from the CL (pita!) and cleaned it and voila, it worked. OK. Set it back up. It worked. GREAT! Just heard some funny noises, felt the pump... running hot. Shut it down. Won't restart.

Long story short: What Eheim can I replace this POS OR3500 with?

:/
-A
Old 11/16/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Eheim 1262. Garanteed for 3 years from date of purchase. You won't regret it.

Last edited by chris4869; 11/16/2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11/16/2007, 04:17 AM
Moved On

Yes, why didn't you go with Eheim 1260 and 1262? The money you spent on 2x OR 2500 would have paid for the 1260 already. Like you mentioned, if it didn't work once for you, why repeat the mistake.
Old 11/16/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

never had any issues with OR's been running for 2 yrs now!
Old 11/16/2007, 09:08 AM
Generic Member

Get the Eheims. You wont have restart issues. They are very reliable pumps. The 1262 is the nearest equivalent pump to the 3500, although I suspect you will find it has stronger flow.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles. OR pumps are generally reliable for 3 - 5 years.

As the others said - Eheims last a LONG time. I have a 1262 that gets turned off once a day, every day........has been doing that for 4 years without a hitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by kdblove_99
never had any issues with OR's been running for 2 yrs now!
See above, check back when the pump is 3 - 5 years old.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:44 AM
One Good Friend

I like eheim's as I ran one for over 6yrs without cleaning it once and when i finally unhooked it, it was in perfect shape. I've also had good luck with OR pump's. There not as nice as eheim's but they are still nice pump's.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:15 AM
Team RC Member

I have only had one problem with any of my 4 OR pumps in 4+ years. It was a used pump and the plastic spider that centers the lower part of the magnet inside the windings broke. I called Aqua Medic and even though it was out of warranty by far they supplied me a new pump including shipping and everything for $30. Other than that restarting has never been an issue and I ahve had no ther problems. To me the cost of Eheims is excessive and they are not all that energy efficient either. Good pumps but not as good as OR.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

I'll just give my quick little impression on the ehiems. I purchased a 1260 several months ago to replace a QO3000 that was so quite it sounded like it wasn't even running. In fact, it wasn't running because it would never restart after plugging it back in. The eheim 1260 had great flow but was physically huge and as loud as a freight train (not literally but the hum and vibration from the sump was absurd). After a month and a half of dealing with it Drs Foster Smith (great company) let me return it for a 1250. Best pump I've ever had. As far as your OR2500, next time it burns out, replace it with the 1250. It will be plenty of flow for your 36g tank and it will be small quite and reliable. As far as the OR3500, I have no opinions because I wasn't too thrilled about me 1260. I have heard better things about the 1262 though.
Good luck!
Old 11/16/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
Yes, why didn't you go with Eheim 1260 and 1262? The money you spent on 2x OR 2500 would have paid for the 1260 already. Like you mentioned, if it didn't work once for you, why repeat the mistake.
Probably because someone on RC told them the OceanRunner was just as good but cheaper.

Here are other things that I have heard are just as good but cheaper.

OceanRunner = Eheim
Seio = Tunze stream
Octopus = Deltec
Lexus = Mercedes
Infinity = BMW
the list goes on and on.........

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 11/16/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

First if you had a 1260 and it sounded like a freight train you either had a bad pump or you had it plumbed incorrectly and that is why it was vibrating. I own one and i literally have to put my ear a couple inches from it to even know it is running. Also as far as the 1262 vs the 1260.........they are the exact same pump with a different volute that allows for more flow. I opened up my 1260's volute and now i basically have a 1262. I own 3 eheim pumps and have yet to have a single issue. I believe the OR pumps to be great pumps as well, but for absolute reliability eheim is the best and their pumps lifespan can be measured in decades in most instances.

If for some reason my eheim 1260/62 ever died i think i would like to try the OR 3500 - I have a good feeling the modded 1260 will be around for years to come though

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishbulb2
I'll just give my quick little impression on the ehiems. I purchased a 1260 several months ago to replace a QO3000 that was so quite it sounded like it wasn't even running. In fact, it wasn't running because it would never restart after plugging it back in. The eheim 1260 had great flow but was physically huge and as loud as a freight train (not literally but the hum and vibration from the sump was absurd). After a month and a half of dealing with it Drs Foster Smith (great company) let me return it for a 1250. Best pump I've ever had. As far as your OR2500, next time it burns out, replace it with the 1250. It will be plenty of flow for your 36g tank and it will be small quite and reliable. As far as the OR3500, I have no opinions because I wasn't too thrilled about me 1260. I have heard better things about the 1262 though.
Good luck!

Last edited by oct2274; 11/16/2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
Probably because someone on RC told them the OceanRunner was just as good but cheaper.

Here are other things that I have heard are just as good but cheaper.

OceanRunner = Eheim
Seio = Tunze stream
Octopus = Deltec
Lexus = Mercedes
Infinity = BMW
the list goes on and on.........
OR's are as good if not beter. Just as Quiet, half the cost and more energy efficient. Very reliable. This is the only bad thread i have ever seen on a OR.

Do or have you owned both or are you just talking jibberish?

AZ has done testing on these ask him what he likes better
Old 11/16/2007, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

I speak Eubonics and English. No jibberish here.
I'm not saying that the OR is a bad pump. I am saying that if I had my choice of either, Eheim is what I would choose. For some the price if the Eheim is enough to make one choose the OR. For me it is not. This choice would be made based on the company's reputation of reliable well made products. I'm not one for experimenting with Chinese built just as good as German products. I am not fond of disposable aquarium products. Buy it right, buy it once.

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 11/16/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

This is the first post I have seen, that the user has had a problem with a OR pump. I have had zero problems with mine. The poster did not state how long he had it. All because one person has had a problem, it does not mean they are crappy. Eheim pumps cost a lot more to purchase and operate. OR works for me and a lot of other people here on RC.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Sometimes there are issues in a tank that affect a pump no matter what type it is. For instance, Magnesium levels that are out of whack can lead to the excess precipitation of other minerals from the water column, which tends to accumulate on things like pumps and heaters. If you're having problems with two pumps at the same time, you may want to look beyond the manufacturer for a solution. I'm one of many who successfully runs an OR3500 (in this case, for my skimmer). On occaisions where I've had to clean the pump, it was due to precipitation deposits on the impeller shaft, not becuase the pump was bad... I suspect I would have those problems with any pump, which is why most manufacturers recommend routine maintenace for this type of equipment.

anyhow, just a thought...
Old 11/16/2007, 03:41 PM
Moved On

Quote:
I speak Eubonics and English. No jibberish here.
I'm not saying that the OR is a bad pump. I am saying that if I had my choice of either, Eheim is what I would choose. For some the price if the Eheim is enough to make one choose the OR. For me it is not. This choice would be made based on the company's reputation of reliable well made products. I'm not one for experimenting with Chinese built just as good as German products. I am not fond of disposable aquarium products. Buy it right, buy it once.

That's kind of a racist statement I think to say that anything made from China isn't as good as those made in Germany. You would be surprised I think if you knew just how much of the stuff IS infact made in China or elsewhere in the "untermenschen" world Maybe even the very computer you are typing on right now
Old 11/16/2007, 03:44 PM
Moved On

By the way... IME German cars although they look great are some of the worse out there. But we won't go there
Old 11/16/2007, 03:58 PM
Got Nog?

Formally used a a OR2500. Didn't like it at all. Had problems restarting it. Know I use a Eheim 1250 for a feed pump for my H&S and a Eheim 1260 for a return and has performed flawlessly.

Scott
Pair of Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 11/16/2007, 04:02 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Bummer, sounds frustrating. I'm happy with the OR2700 I have on my skimmer and with the Eheim 1262 and 1250 pumps I've got kicking around. Now, I'm not ready to marry *any* of them, but I guess I'm just odd that way...
Old 11/16/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Funny you mentioned it, OceanRunner is indeed made in China. Actually they are OEM by Hailea.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
That's kind of a racist statement I think to say that anything made from China isn't as good as those made in Germany. You would be surprised I think if you knew just how much of the stuff IS infact made in China or elsewhere in the "untermenschen" world Maybe even the very computer you are typing on right now
Old 11/16/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Don't preach to me on what is a racist statement! You have never walked in my shoes.

What advancements in this hobby have come out of China?

What advancements in this hobby have come out of Germany?

All I am saying is that the majority of Chinese products are built to be disposeable. BTW, Where can I get a replacement parts for a broken OceanRunner?

As for cars, being a valet and later running a valet company, I have driven many cars of different ages. Not just the new ones. I can defintily tell you that you won't see any Lexus and Infinity cars gracing the stage of a Barrett-Jackson auto auction.

Look at a 1990 Lexus LS and then look at a 1990, 1980, or 1970 Mercedes. You will definitly see which one was the better car.

Old 11/16/2007, 04:56 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Quote:
BTW, Where can I get a replacement parts for a broken OceanRunner?
I'd call Aqua-Medic at 877.208.2633 (toll-free)
Old 11/16/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

This is the first Negative thread I've seen on the OR Pumps. I myself have an OR2500 that I recently installed to replace a Mag 7 I was using externally (the mag was a crap pump to use externally, but I won't go there now) and I've been very happy with it. It does get turned off every other day for feedings and at other times but so far no problems. Real quiet, (even more so than the mag), runs real cool, and more energy efficient. But just in case it does give me problems I recently got real lucky and found a "Brand New" in the box Ehiem 1260 on a clearance sale at a local Big Al's for $47 bux! It's the backup for now.
Old 11/16/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way... IME German cars although they look great are some of the worse out there. But we won't go there
And yet the Japanese makers are still copying their designs AND trying to take the "drivers sedan" title away from BMW - go figure.

But I agree, to label a product by country of origin is silly - it's all in the specifications & QA. So what you figure the Chinese can make an ICBM but not a pump?

And for those above using one person's "well they tested it" as factual is also silly. Here's a link - from 2004

my review

A hint - I bought the pump in '02 & at that time I asked about OR pumps here................response? Crickets (nothing), nobody had even heard of them. The single source on the web (Ocean Encounters) owner had customers using them in fresh water......he had zero input for SW use.

I still believe OR pumps are very good, far better than most. They are not however in Eheim's league. They generally last about 5 or so years (very good) - Eheims have been known to run a couple of decades with little or no intervention.

That's my opinion, based on my experience - YMMV.
Old 11/16/2007, 05:08 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikS
And yet the Japanese makers are still copying their designs AND trying to take the "drivers sedan" title away from BMW - go figure....

Like I said the German car designs are very sleek and aesthetically pleasing. That's as far as I can count a German car for though. Had too many issues to know better