Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 07:39 AM
Who's your daddy

tattoo your tank and stand rocks I would not change or worry about a thing
Old 10/24/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Well i finally got my cal reactor in yesterday and we got it assembled last night so i guess tonight i have to build a shelf in the sump room for it to sit on and the bottle to sit under, i will post pics of it in the next couple of days. because it is a monster of a reactor (well at least for home use) i think we loaded a little over 20 lbs of media in it and it wasnt all the way packed full. i am looking forward to getting it installed and running
Old 10/30/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

does anyone have alot of experience with cal reactors in particular the pacific coast brand i tried hooking my new one up last night and cant get it to draw water in, ??????? sometimes i hate new toys lol
Old 10/30/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

I don't know too much about them either, but some pumps need to be primed. Did you prime the pump?

-Paul
Old 10/30/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

yes we primed the pump, and nothing. but on a brighter note i finally was able to contact someone at pacific coast and we got it all figured out and now i get to play with again and see if it will work out the way the explained it.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Did you get the cr 140?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 10/30/2007, 09:29 PM
no time for spell check!

i dont think you have anythingto worry about. that stand is built better than most factory stands are built. most factory stands only use thin sheets of plywood to go between the front and back of the stand. this stand has very beefy cross braces. the glass does not need to touch the cross braces either. with most glass tanks, all the weight is on the sides of the glass not the bottom of the glass. an acrylic tank is the reverse of that. all the weight is on the bottom sheet and needs to be fully supported.
i have seen a couple of bare bottom glass tanks that have a white cover sheet undeer the tank so you cant see the sump and other equiptment.

by the way tatoo that tank is awesome! cant wait to see it full of corlas and fish.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:33 AM
DIY Junkie

there ya go...having Spazz chime in about the stand pretty much ends that question for all I think that Scott has all the merit he needs to put the doubters to rest
Old 10/31/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

yes erics i got the cr140 dual chamber and now that i have tapped into my existing return lines and tied it into them it runs great!
spazz thanks for the compliment its nice to here that from someone who has as much merit in this industry, and there are quite a few corals in it in those pics but you have to stand sooooo far away to get a decent full tank shot that you can barely see them, and there have been quite a few more added since those were taken. and i am definately trying to reconfigure the my garage setup to try and make an appropriate space for the skimmer we were talking about, so as soon as i figure it out i will be givin you a shout.
Old 10/31/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Old 10/31/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

these were taken by coreyz a member of lmas(louisville marine aquaium society) at this months meeting which was at my house so we got some decent shots
Old 11/01/2007, 01:21 AM
DIY Junkie

WOW...Finally a full tank shot in the new house

are you running a surge tank on this? i may be dumb...but I thought I remember mention of one at the beginning of the thread...i'm too lazy and tired to go digging through the thread again
Old 11/01/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

no i am not running a surge on this tank there wasnt a clean enough way for me to do it, i dont think there was ant mention of one that i can recall. and the last full tank shot was at the new house also along with the picsa of the sump room in its early stages but these tank shots were taken 10-21-07 so they are very recent.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

not a whole lot of news to add on the system, except got rid of some very invasive mushroom and star polyp colonies and then added some new acro frags and peices of live rock to replace the blank spots and in doing so had a bit of a mishap. i got the rock from my lfs it was trade in rock out of someones system they had torn down and then sat at the store for a while so it was fully cured, therefor i did not quarantine it and could not find a place for one of the large peices in the display so naturally i just put it in the sump, about 30 minute later we heard a noise, didnt think much of it, then heard it again, then i noticed my water level was low in the display and no water rturning from the sump so jeremy and myself proceeded to disconect the return pump and tear it apart to find half of a medium sized snowflake eel lodged in the housing! well so to say my fish ate very fresh food last night. i will post pics later
Old 11/14/2007, 08:50 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Here is what we found when taking the pump apart!

Old 11/14/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

First post in here,

Very nice tank !

Is that a HUGE Bristleworm? cant see well from the pic...
Old 11/14/2007, 11:37 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Its a moray eel! Read the post above the pic for the details.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the comment pete and welcome to the thread, and as jeremy said it is an eel, well at least what was left of him lol.
Old 11/15/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

well i broke down today and ordered a large piece and some frags from reefer madness today. i ordered a large acropora samoensis, very bright blue and then a coule of frags (just for free shipping) lol. hopefully they will arive healthy as the temp has dropped here dramaticaly today. has anyone else here ordered from them? i hear great things about them so far i will post on it tomorrow.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:48 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

A moray eel in your return pump?

When you didn't even know one was there?

Now that's different!
Old 11/16/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Sorry Jeremy but I beg to differ...On your love of glasscages...

Glasscages are the worst tank maker out there..Look at the silicone job they did on
this..It looks god awful!!!As far as Tom goes, I think him and his wife were the 2
of most rude people I ever delt with!

Obviously you didnt do a search on here for glasscages to see all of the horror
storys..mine included. A tank that big from GC....I would be afraid..very afraid!
Old 11/16/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Very nice setup......I skipped through alot of the thread looking for the nice pics, but I do have to agree with a real early post that dealing with GC....I know Tom and have dealt with him quite a bit, that tank is suppose to be on a solid bottom stand and that there is suppose to be foam laid before the tank is set in place or it voids the warranty
Old 11/16/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

nynex are you refering to the silicone on this tank or were you refering to the silicone on the overflow boxes in the early pics on here because those were put in after the tank was built and the pics were before it was cleaned up, also the overflows were since changed out to totaly different ones that look incredibly clean. and sorry for your misfortune with your tank but mine has been up and running for over 8 months now and it has even been moved once and everything is fine.
chriscobb thank you for the compliment on the setup but i am not concerned for the waranty i had my stand built the way i wanted it and thats, that . once again this thread leads back to this and after all the timing of people whining and complaining about it, it is still up and running strong. please people move on, look at the thousands of dollars in livestock or the lighting or anything else
Old 11/16/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I just have to say WOW! Your tank looks great, the length is awesome. Also beautiful stand and canopy! Thanks for sharing it with us
Old 11/16/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Tattooreef I was talking about the tank! GC is known for their horrible silicone jobs in
their tank builds! One guy on here had his Glasscages 220 gal burst in his living
room. I just dont think I would trust glasscages with a tank that long...

Your overflows are fine though...